Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car Stolen, let down by Guards

Options
  • 11-03-2006 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I was wondering if anyone has a any views on what they would do in the following situation, as I am in at the moment.

On 27th January my car was stolen, of course straight away i contacted the guards at mill street and they said they'd contact me when its found, etc... Also contacted the insurance company to make a claim. A month passed and eventually I recieved my claim; the full value of the car. That was grand, I bought a new car (the same year, make and model by the way). The new car is fine, no probs there. The other day, I decided to take a trip down to the local city pickup service after hearing that sometimes stolen/crashed cars get brought there. Surely enough my car was there. This was 5 weeks after it was stolen. The people who worked there had it on record that the car was found by a garda, 2 days after it was stolen and brought to the impound. I was never told! I inspected the car: driver door damage, flat tire, hotwired and stolen radio was what i could see. This being 5 weeks after the theft, and since my insurance claim had gone thru, the car was property of the insurance company. It would have cost the insurance company less to fix my old one for me than to pay me full value incidently, But its not possible for me to do that because i bought my new car privately and cant return it.

So does anyone have an idea of what move to make. I feel terribly wronged by the gardai. i could have been driving my original car 3 weeks ago if i was notified. should i complain? would it be a waste of time? I could very well just forget it, since i'm not at much of a loss value-wise. but that was MY car, which i liked very much, which is now probably going to be scrapped, and i could be back driving it only for that bloody guard (whos name is on record at the impound).

Thoughts welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭tom-thebox

I think you would be wasting your time complaining. The only thing I think works with the Garda is if you sue them, then enjoy the money as they dont give a ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just one of those things that happen. If you complain to the Garda it may cause problems with the insurance compancy?
    Just move on mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

I wouldn't stir it. Them guards might have forgotton about your car but they will remember u if you complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Shinto

I have little respect for the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

cardoor wrote:
    I wouldn't stir it. Them guards might have forgotton about your car but they will remember u if you complain.

I'd have to go with this advice ... you might feel hard done by ... and I understand your situation ... had a similar one when the gf's car was stolen ... but if you go complaining .. they will remember you ..

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My sisters car was nicked last year, Mill st gave her a list of 10 likely locations where it would be abandoned and told us to have a look , we found it in location 4 ourselves .

Consider yourself lucky the guards even looked for it or had it towed in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Seang1

god,
    the law really IS an ass....even the fact ppl are sayin the gardai would "remember you" - which i totally agree with....its a sad state of affairs really...
    ah well.....at least u got sorted out with a car in the end.....might as well forget about it at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stevo11

I'd see how much the insurance company is looking for it and possibly buy it back (at a much reduced rate of course). Then fix it and sell the replacement.
    I would also report your grievance to the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Well the gardai might have been trying to get in touch with you but might have taken down the wrong mobile number or something along those lines. As pissed with them as i might be i'd leave it alone and chalk it up to another life experience. At least next time you know what needs to be done.

Advertisement