Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alloy locking nuts

Options
  • 11-03-2006 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭

Got new car with Alloys, but no locking nuts!!!:mad:

Wheres the best place to get them and how much should i expect to pay?
    Thanks;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Got new car with Alloys, but no locking nuts!!!:mad:

Wheres the best place to get them and how much should i expect to pay?
    Thanks;)

Try your local Motor Factors, Halfords or tyre centre. They should have them. Should cost in or around €40 for a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Most decent factors have them - Beware of cheap ass ones though, they can rust up and need drilling to get them off which is not fun when in the 'comfort' of the hard shoulder at 4am!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Actually quite cheap to get them from ebay too, better chance of getting something a bit unusual (got mine from the states) so makes it slim they could have a set.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Guys, now that every car on the road has alloys, is getting your wheels nicked as big a problem as it used to be? just wondering. (where i live most people are too inbred to use a jack and a tyre iron at the same time so its not a problem.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

pred racer wrote:
    Guys, now that every car on the road has alloys, is getting your wheels nicked as big a problem as it used to be? just wondering. (where i live most people are too inbred to use a jack and a tyre iron at the same time so its not a problem.:D

Almost every car for the last 25 years has come with a radio fitted as standard but that hasn't reduced the theft of these items.

I would say that steel wheels are still more popular than alloys. Many people who buy large selling models (Focus, Corolla, Astra etc.) take the base model without any extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

pred racer wrote:
    I would say this is even more a reason to put locking wheel nuts on because there is a bigger market for them and as such a bigger market for stolen ones

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Some reviews (for bolts but you can get an idea about a companys product) ...
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/57587/locking_wheel_bolts.html

I have McGard bolts as well as an OEM bolt on each wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

I got mine from ebay not too long ago, got a etter price than anywhere i could find here, althoiugh i was buying standard bolts as well....

Here is link to the bolts that i got

http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4620437106&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_ReBay_Pr4_PcY_BIN_IT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just to add my 2 bits to this...I have McGard standards on both the cars at home, but I only fitted them this week due to my neighbour coming out Wed morning with his car up on blocks and his wheels taken. They had also removed the bolts from the other car on one of the wheels in his drive, probably in case they were spooked and he decided to give chase.

I bought both sets in Halfrauds this week at about €44/set.

Just out of curiosity, where do you keep the special adapter?

I'm getting me a couple of those holders for the keyring with my €15 Halfrauds voucher.

• Advertisement

Excuse my ignorance bu how do you know what size bolts to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Lex Luthor wrote:
    They had also removed the bolts from the other car on one of the wheels in his drive, probably in case they were spooked and he decided to give chase.
    Or maybe they just realised that nuts are also expensive...recently went to replace one of mine at a Ford main dealer n cost €8....multiply that by the number of wheels and thats €128 :eek:
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Just out of curiosity, where do you keep the special adapter?
    I'm getting me a couple of those holders for the keyring with my €15 Halfrauds voucher.
    I keep mine in the back boot of my car in a bag of tools....not sure I'd trust one of those holder things....oh and it's gona bulk up your keys a lot!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Excuse my ignorance bu how do you know what size bolts to get?

I guess the answer is the same as 'how do you know what alloys will fit'. You do a bit of research!
    The McGard bolts I have were bought in halfords where they have a list of which product fits which car.

So are McGard a good brand and is €44 an ok price to pay?

The McGard Std. get 3* on that review site...€44 seems to be an ok price by all costs. If you want a better set, you pay more but it looks like these ones are good enough as a deterrent.

and the guy in Halfords looks up the system when you tell him what car you have and it lists the product code of the set you need.

Thanks a million lads. Off to Halfords tomorrow so!

Thanks a million lads. Off to Halfords tomorrow so!
    just noticed there is a Halfords in the Newhall Ind Park in Naas. Not sure if they are open yet but passed by there last night and saw the big sign up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Dont bother its a waste of 44 euro.
    If some one likes your alloys then they will take them with locking nuts on or not. A thief will hammer a socket onto the locking nut then simply remove it so they only deter kids.

dts wrote:
    If some one likes your alloys then they will take them with locking nuts on or not. A thief will hammer a socket onto the locking nut then simply remove it so they only deter kids.
    :mad:

dts wrote:

Thats a little like the " Don't bother with a lock on a door - The burgler will burst the lock to get in "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

If it even deters one f*cker then it's well worth 44 bucks if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

Point taken, this advice was given too me last time I had a puncture repaired. I do have locking nuts on mine but they were fitted by the dealer.
    If you do have them fitted then dont leave the key for them in the car, not unless you hide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Two similar cars in close proximity of each other, one with lock nuts, and one without.

Which do you think will have the alloys nicked first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

make sure you register the nuts or your fu(ked if you lose them

Advertisement