Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on Racing Bike(s)....

Options
  • 11-03-2006 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hey,
    Im new to the sport and am just looking for a very basic starting bike.
    My price range would be anything up to 350. Im hoping to compete in a couple of sprint distance tri's and maybe one Olympic dist. Basically i just want to finish them...
    Anyway, just wondering if you guys would have any opinions on the following,
    as in, are they worth the money, would they be suitable etc....
    Cheers...

Cannondale 3.0 Road Race 58cm Bike Cycle Bicycle 200e approx
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/Cannondale-3-0-Road-Race-58cm-Bike-Cycle-Bicycle_W0QQitemZ7224633846QQcategoryZ98084QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

From BuyandSell...
    Peugeot Racer 531 Pro. Male, 16 gears, light weight, mavic wheels, great cond, €255

Raleigh Chopper Bike. Unwanted christmas present, cost €360, sell for €250 ono, immac cond,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I hope you were kidding us about the 'Raleigh Chopper'!

As a guide, the entry level cost for a competition bike is around 1500 euro, the sky is the limit after that. At your budget, you'll be looking at replica/leisure bikes or secondhand bargains. These can be raced on if you know what parts to service and/or upgrade.

The 531 Peugeot sounds quite old, but, being a steel frame, could be sound. Is the size right for you?

If you're a novice, I'd strongly recommend that you consider buying in a local bicycle shop staffed by people knowledgable in the sport. You need avdvice on size and position. It will vastly increase your chances of buying something suitable & you'll have somewhere to go back to for advice, service and adjustments.

You also need to consider proper cycling clothing as these will add to your comfort and efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

I wouldn't go to a shop, you will get ripped. Go to a club meeting or something, have someone in the know see what size would be yours etc then llok for a 2nd hand bike that size. You shouldn't have to spend €1500 to start a sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I did a few of the Phoenix Park duathlons (midweek May - August) on my mountain bike, with slick tyres. I beat a bunch of people on nice road bikes. I have now upgraded to a good road bike. It does make a difference but you will "just finish" on something basic.

I used to use toe clips and now I have clipless pedals. Each helps you on the bike portion, keeping your feet firmly in the right position on the pedals (and not thrown out when on poor road surface). You can also pedal on the upstroke, but I'll leave that to the pros.

Aerobars are quite helpful too, making you more aerodynamic and it's a reasonably comfortable riding position. My pair were the cheapest there but I love them.

You could post a request on the Triathlon Ireland message board asking for suggestions. Cycle Superstore in Tallaght and CycleWays on Parnell St are involved with triathlons in Ireland so can advise you.

I entered the 3 races in the Limerick Duathlon Series recently. Good fun. There is a good selection of duathlons as well as triathlons in 2006 Triathlon Ireland calendar.

Advertisement