Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setting up Ad-Hoc XP SP2

• 11-03-2006 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    Having problems setting up a simple Ad-hoc network here.
    I know howto in principle but this as me bamboozled.

Ok, I have a laptop with a 802.11b pcmcia card and a desktop with a Belkin usb 802.11g dongle.

No wireless router hence the use of a peer-to-peer ad-hoc network.

Plan is to have the desktop as host and lappy as client. Desktop has broadband connection which I hoping to share.

Both XP SP2

I setup a wireless network on desktop with a simple SSID.
    Disabled WEP for the moment.
    In advanced I set network access to ad-hoc.

The lappy sees this network fine.
    Set the laptop to the same SSID and connnect.

All is well. XP assigns an IP address between 169.254.0.0 and 169.254.255.255 for each computer with 255.255.0.0 subnet.

My problem is that I can't access files on the host pc and vice versa.

Also, I can ping the host machine fine but can't ping the laptop from the desktop.

Therefore, I can't share the internet connection. :mad:

I tried manually setting an IP adderess to 192.168.*.* but get the same results.

File/printer sharing is enabled for both machines.
    Both machines have the share the same workgroup.

Any ideas guys?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

My problem is that I can't access files on the host pc and vice versa.

Also, I can ping the host machine fine but can't ping the laptop from the desktop.
    ... firewall .... (Laptop specifically)

Advertisement