Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel engine question

Options
  • 11-03-2006 9:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭

I have a yoke thats got 7000kms on it
    When it's idling it mur murs a bit ,like its starved of air or something.
    Should it idle perfect or do new engines go up and down at lights etc

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Should be steady and even at idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

should idle steady, mine idles at 700rpm doesnt fluctuate at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭EireRoadUser

it's bearly twinging but when it does its with a humm type sound.
    Every 2 seconds or so, what would that 2 second cycle be ?
    It makes a humm and drops about 50rpm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Do you have air conditioning on by any chance?

thanks for your thoughts on it ,i don't have air con.
    Nothing on it the engine at all like that, no extra wiring or anything.

Its a 1.9 renault engine. renault traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

What class of Fuel injection, Renault, Bosch, Delphi, etc and is it plain old mechanical, electronic pump or CRI. The latter two would require an airflow metering system of some description.
    O2 Sensors or none?.

Either way, if it has only 7000kms on it, it is stil under warranty. So you shoudl have no problems having it evaluated.

thanks Amurphy, i thought maybe it might be something thats common.

I drive hard so i thought maybe i might have dirtied the sensor in the exhaust.

Will have it checked out ,but don't like hassling the garage on something i've caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

i have a peugeot 406 tdi 106,000 miles and is rock steady at 1000 rpm when idle, you should get yours checked out.
    and dont accept the old garage standby "ah sure they all do that!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

thanks Amurphy, i thought maybe it might be something thats common.

I drive hard so i thought maybe i might have dirtied the sensor in the exhaust.

Not at all...... "Driving hard" keeps those exhaust sensors clean, cause as far as they are concerned, HOT = CLEAN. Lazy, short, cold 1 mile drives is what kills/snuffs them.

However, that said.... Driving a new engine "hard" is not good. You need to "break it in" over a period of.... maybe 2.5~5K Miles. "Break In" being moderate but variable driving over the period, not fixed or aggressive, but a blend.
    Given we don't know how you may have driven for the first 5K miles...(is this a new car or you have had it for 7K miles, but it has eg 50K on the clock.)

So fill in the blanks for us here?.

AND, if this is a new vehicle, it is highly probable it has a CRD + all the bells and whistles Diesel EFI system, so a simple "electronic fine tuning" will/should solve the problem.

Still, if a new CRD-EFI system, have them look for the possibility of a small air leak in the intake system. (it may be a simple loose hose clip or a missing rubber nipple cap)

and I'd agree with PD's statment;
    and dont accept the old garage standby "ah sure they all do that!"
    find a similar car in the sales lot, take for a drive and demonstrate, if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement