Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car decision - BMW 316 or VW Passat?

Options
  • 11-03-2006 9:57pm
    Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭

About to change my company car in the next few weeks and having trouble deciding between two choices. I could get a BMW 316 SE which I only discovered the other day is actually only 1.6 engine whereas previous models were always 1.8. The other option is the VW Passat Sportsline model which is a big feck off 2 litre with 200bhp and buckets of extras. They both work out roughly the same money.

I love both cars (although the new BMW took a while to grow on me) but the Passat would seem the wiser choice in terms of engine size and extras. On the other hand I have driven a 316 now for 2 years and I wonder would I notice a difference in handling etc? Really cant make up my mind on this, any thoughts please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Probably need to post what type of use is the car going to get.....do you enjoy drivin etc? Before people can comment
    If it were me, I'd go for the Passat....personally I'd rather have all that power and all those extras rather than paying for the BMW badge.
    I would never buy a BMW unless it had the engine to go with it...and the 316 is just a pretender I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Go with the passat, the new one in particular looks great has got big reviews on it too. Very nice looking car, I would definately consider it. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Yeah, its usage would help alright! I do a lot of driving all over Ireland, on the road about 3-4 days a week. The BMW would really be a badge choice alright but are they not considered a lot better for the whole driving experience? I love driving and love cars, always have done. Reading some reviews on the internet make reference to the Passat as being a sensible cautious car...the BMW still gets the old "drivers car"reviews and top marks for handling etc.

...just to add to the choice problem, if I can convince work to let me go for the 318 which should I pick???

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Felixdhc wrote:
    I could get a BMW 316 SE which I only discovered the other day is actually only 1.6 engine

Who told you that? There is no such thing. The last BMW 3-series 1.6 liter was nearly 10 years ago. The smallest petrol engine in the current 3-series is a 2.0 liter

But I admit, I am annoyed and confused too by the silly model references from BMW in recent history :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

unkel wrote:
    Who told you that? There is no such thing. The last BMW 3-series 1.6 liter was nearly 10 years ago. The smallest petrol engine in the current 3-series is a 2.0 liter

They have just brought out a new low end model 316i to make it more affordable and a competitor in the rep market. It retails at around €34k and I think it might be a 1.6 litre. I read about it in the Times motor supplement last week.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

unkel wrote:

But I admit, I am annoyed and confused too by the silly model references from BMW in recent history :rolleyes:

I was in Joe Duffy motors the other day and they said the new 316 is a 1.6 engine. They are not on the road yet, due out in the next few weeks - seemingly they have huge demand for them too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Felixdhc wrote:
    I was in Joe Duffy motors the other day and they said the new 316 is a 1.6 engine. They are not on the road yet, due out in the next few weeks - seemingly they have huge demand for them too.
    With most newer BMWs being company cars (Im assuming), BIK will force many to go for a lower end car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't think that you will be able to use the full power potential of either car legally on Irish roads so that to me evens out the playing field a little. I've had both as company cars in the past and there is no contest. Take the BMW. Yes, it's a badge but change the badge on a Passat and you have a Skoda.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Not sure if its still the same with the new ones... but a 316 with a small 1.6 ltr engine still has to carry the weight of the 316 so fuel economy is going to be horrible!! If you do not mind filling the tank every 200 miles then go for it..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The 316i engine is the same one used in the 116i.
    It gives out 115bhp/85Nm.
    bmw.ie does not give the tech specs for the 316i so i can't see what the fuel consumption is apart from impressive(!) - I guess it will be there soon.

I note from bmw.ie that the 316i will not be available in the UK. I presume this is thanks to VRT !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

New Passat for me....I'm told the Sportsline is a bit too stiff for Irish roads.
    My choice would be the 2.0TDi Highline 170bhp with the 6speed gear box.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

As already mentioned the 316i uses the same 1.6 engine found in the 1 Series. It is only going on sale in certain countries such as Ireland where motorists are screwed by high motor taxation and running costs.

Personally I would rather get a generously equipped Passat with a decent engine than an entry level under powered BMW 3 Series just for the sake of the badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

faigs wrote:
    They have just brought out a new low end model 316i to make it more affordable and a competitor in the rep market. It retails at around €34k and I think it might be a 1.6 litre

I stand corrected so. Unfortunately BMW are back to their old tricks attracting badge aficionados (snobs) with underpowered cars
    kbannon wrote:
    I note from bmw.ie that the 316i will not be available in the UK

Why does that not surprise me?
    bmw.ie wrote:
    BMW Ireland is responding to the many requests for an entry-level BMW 3 Series with a 1.6-litre engine with the immediate introduction of a BMW 316i Saloon. The new model remains faithful to its original concept - a premium quality family car with unmatched driver appeal. The BMW 316i Saloon is sporty and fuel-efficient and offers the best value-for-money. It is the most technologically advanced car in its segment and will appeal to existing BMW fans and attract new customers.

BMW are using their flexible production technology to make this engine variant available specifically for the Irish market *. The decision to launch this car is based on the significant savings a customer can avail of due to the smaller engine capacity. The BMW 316i is priced at €36,300, which represents a saving of €2,350 compared to the BMW 318i. All of the saving is passed on to the customer

Only 2 grand less? Mad not to go for the 2.0l 318 unless you are the aforementioned snob
    Felixdhc wrote:
    I do a lot of driving all over Ireland, on the road about 3-4 days a week

Well, with only 115BHP, the 316i is underpowered. How important is power to you? How important are gizmos to you and how do the two cars compare? I presume the BMW is going to cost you more in BIK, so take that into account also. Take both for an extended test drive and with the BMW overtake some slow vehicles on national roads. This is where being underpowered is most obvious
    Felixdhc wrote:
    if I can convince work to let me go for the 318 which should I pick???

You might very well be able to convince work to go €2k more on top of a €36k car. If you can, I'd get the 318 if I were you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

A BMW with less than 6 pots is a useless shell. Has lots of potential but is let down by the void under the hood. Personally i find that anyone that knows a bit about cars disregards the sub *23 models in the BMW range bar the 1 series.

I'd go for the decent spec'd VW over the BMW for the above reason and also more importantly the VW is a great car. Bottom line if your getting a BMW get a "propper" one. Did you by chance see last seasons topgear test with the new 3 series in it? Well ruling was they had nothing to say as the new model was too boring and just a "car" very plain and mundain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hagar wrote:
    Yes, it's a badge but change the badge on a Passat and you have a Skoda.

Is that supposed to be a bad thing? I would have no problems driving the Octavia RS...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Hagar wrote:
    Yes, it's a badge but change the badge on a Passat and you have a Skoda.

Change it again and you've got an Audi.

Can you check out the Hyundai Sonata, very good standard equipment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Go for the Passat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

For a company car look at ALFA 159 its got a great badge, looks cool has more toys than the beema, the best drive in this class and as its a company car you dont have to worry that after three years its probably ready for the scrappers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭phoenix_nights

My preference would be a TDI passat with DSG gearbox and in estate format. Looks better (in my opinion) than the saloon.

dts wrote:
    For a company car look at ALFA 159 its got a great badge, looks cool has more toys than the beema, the best drive in this class and as its a company car you dont have to worry that after three years its probably ready for the scrappers.:D

While I don't agree with the last part of your post, most companies will and are very unlikely to take an Alfa on as a company car. Some regular posters here are very likely to point this out too, so to save time: AIB dropped the 156 as a company car a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    While I don't agree with the last part of your post, most companies will and are very unlikely to take an Alfa on as a company car. Some regular posters here are very likely to point this out too, so to save time: AIB dropped the 156 as a company car a few years ago.

Lots of companies ban lots of cars, but everyone always remember that AIB banned the 156.
    It gives me a headache listening to this repetition.
    Doesn't one of the other banks ban Volvos? You'll never hear that mentioned on a 'Should I buy a Volvo thread'.
    I also heard, here on boards I think, that someones employer had banned VW's.

However, it had to be said sometime:
    What about the Skoda Superb?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

A BMW with less than 6 pots is a useless shell. Has lots of potential but is let down by the void under the hood. Personally i find that anyone that knows a bit about cars disregards the sub *23 models in the BMW range bar the 1 series.

I'd go for the decent spec'd VW over the BMW for the above reason and also more importantly the VW is a great car. Bottom line if your getting a BMW get a "propper" one. Did you by chance see last seasons topgear test with the new 3 series in it? Well ruling was they had nothing to say as the new model was too boring and just a "car" very plain and mundain.

Uh, the 320 has six cylinders. In fact, the E46 320 puts out almost as much bhp as the earlier 323 (2.5l) 170bhp or thereabouts, from a 2.2 litre engine.

prospect wrote:
    Lots of companies ban lots of cars, but everyone always remember that AIB banned the 156.
    It gives me a headache listening to this repetition.
    Doesn't one of the other banks ban Volvos? You'll never hear that mentioned on a 'Should I buy a Volvo thread'.
    I also heard, here on boards I think, that someones employer had banned VW's.

However, it had to be said sometime:
    What about the Skoda Superb?

Prospect, believe me I agree with you - I was just saving the usual nay-sayers the time by posting one of the arguments normally trotted out. Also, it has to be said that companies are likely to see the Alfa as an impractical option due to the documented crap resale value and perceived (rightly or wrongly) reliability issues.

It was actually me who said that BOI have banned Volvos - ironically, my father got a company Alfa from them because he could no longer get a volvo!

dts wrote:
    According to a very reputable UK web site, they claim the 159 will have similar depreciation to the Passat & Accord.

If thats true, I can kiss goodbye to picking up a cheap one in 3yrs time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Lex Luthor wrote:
    According to a very reputable UK web site, they claim the 159 will have similar depreciation to the Passat & Accord.

If thats true, I can kiss goodbye to picking up a cheap one in 3yrs time

I doubt it. Even if the 159 proves to be a fantastic car in every respect (including reliability), it will probably still bomb in the s/h market. In Ireland certain cars just seem to hold their value even if they are utter dogs (starlet?.. 1.4 Golf) and some are worthless even if they are brilliant in every way (Mondeo?).

To answer the OPs question.. I would jump for the Passat. It is very well finished inside in comfortline spec. Feels like a very solid car too, and it is massive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

spockety wrote:
    Uh, the 320 has six cylinders. In fact, the E46 320 puts out almost as much bhp as the earlier 323 (2.5l) 170bhp or thereabouts, from a 2.2 litre engine.
    i know yeah should have put down *20 but the 520 is a bit of a dog also.

i know yeah should have put down *20 but the 520 is a bit of a dog also.

Well the newer 520's (post 2001) got a bump to the same 2.2 litre 6 pot 170bhp engine too.

Did you mean the older ones, or are even the newer versions (of the older model ;) ) dogs?

J.

spockety wrote:
    but the M52 2.5l engine (on the 523i & 323i) was basically a down graded engine from its predecessor which had 192bhp. It was to allow BMW to sell the *28i cars which had 192bhp. Who would pay for a 328i (2.8 engine) with 192bhp if there was a 2.5l with same power?

I think now with the new 5 series you can't get a 2.0litre engine anymore.

Well wasn't the 323 discontinued when a new 2.5 six cylinder block was brought into play putting out 192bhp? Which is the 325? Then the 328 was done away with and replaced with a 3 litre 330 putting out what, 220 or something?

Presumably the new 5 series is still using the same 2.2 litre engine as the older 520, and the E46 320?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

eoin_s wrote:
    it has to be said that companies are likely to see the Alfa as an impractical option due to the documented crap resale value

Most companies lease their cars, so they don't give a toss about re-sale value.

Advertisement