Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subject Choices

• 11-03-2006 11:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

I'm making mine over the weekend to be handed in on Monday. I'm TY. So I'm thinking- English, Irish, Maths, French, Business, Accounting and Geography. Anyone got any tips? x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

No science? I'd swap out geography for applied maths or something,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 x_TC_x

They don't do it in my school and geography would be a subject I find easy like because I'm screwed with everything else lol. I hate science more than anything, can't get my head around it and scraped a pass in the Junior. Was going to give Physics a go but it was in same category as Geography lol. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

So you're going to business route in third level then? Economics would be more use to you then Business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭dr.barbie

Not a big fan of geography but its pretty straightforward-lot nicer than history anyways-but thats just me!

LiouVille wrote:
    So you're going to business route in third level then? Economics would be more use to you then Business.

or the two together if your timetable allows, i find they compliment each other.

• Advertisement

I haven't a clue yet. But main things I'm considering are- Law (extremely far fetched), Law with French, Law and Business, Business, Business with French, French, Communications or Accounting. I should know by the end of 5th year I'd say from the work I'll have been doing, you know? x

x_TC_x wrote:
    I haven't a clue yet. But main things I'm considering are- Law (extremely far fetched), Law with French, Law and Business, Business, Business with French, French, Communications or Accounting. I should know by the end of 5th year I'd say from the work I'll have been doing, you know? x

Sounds cool! And Law is a mad course if ya get in- loads of my friends are in it and they just go out all the time-very little lectures compared to other courses, eg arts/sciences. And its not far fetched at all! Best of luck! :)

Really? I thought it would be like constant study sort of stuff? It's like 555 in TCD or something like that though, and I didn't open a book for Junior so need to have myself motivated if I'm aiming so high x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Devil5434

x_TC_x wrote:
    I'm making mine over the weekend to be handed in on Monday. I'm TY. So I'm thinking- English, Irish, Maths, French, Business, Accounting and Geography. Anyone got any tips? x
    um did u do businnes studies in da JC

x_TC_x wrote:
    Really? I thought it would be like constant study sort of stuff? It's like 555 in TCD or something like that though, and I didn't open a book for Junior so need to have myself motivated if I'm aiming so high x

Dont worry, you got plenty of time! Im aiming for about 560- want to do denistry and I have trouble motivating myself at this late stage (!) so you'll be cool! Apparently a lot of law is about independent study outside organised lectures. The exams are meant to be tough but the hours arent!

• Advertisement

Devil5434 wrote:
    um did u do businnes studies in da JC

I did indeed. Had the crappest teacher ever, didn't do an ounce of study and still managed a C. And I'm being genuine with the statement x

dr.barbie wrote:
    Dont worry, you got plenty of time! Im aiming for about 560- want to do denistry and I have trouble motivating myself at this late stage (!) so you'll be cool! Apparently a lot of law is about independent study outside organised lectures. The exams are meant to be tough but the hours arent!

Oh roysh. I'll talk to my career guidance teacher anywho! My god no way I'd be a dentist, I'm so unbelieveably squeamish!! Good luck though hun, I'm rooting for you! :) x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

Do a Science subject just incase as your options could become slim when your filling out the CAO in two years time..
    I never thought I would need a science subject for Computers but you do.. luckily I picked physics..

btw. dont pick physics, pick biology or chemistry. physics = blah

I won't need it for any of them courses though and if I do I'll change the course because no way in hell am I going near science lol x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

if you dont like science stay the hell away from chemistry...
    i vote for physics definitely..

but you're clearly not interested in science so it doesnt matter..

Geog is boring. pretty easy. but SO boring.
    I dont do business, cos well, i hate the whole idea and basis of it. but my friends say its also hell boring and such a rambly bleugh subject.
    Economics again i dont do, but its meant to be difficult?

if you're interested in accounting, then go for it definitely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

Rockerette wrote:
    I'll put it this way..........
    If you do economics to get out of working with numbers..... you're screwed
    If you do economics to get out of learning loads of theory... you're screwed
    If you do economics to try and get an A.......................... you're screwed
    Overall it's a fairly lose-lose subject.... but it's a short course though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

JCB wrote:
    If you do economics to try and get an A.......................... you're screwed

If you're planning to do a course that will have Economics in college, leaving cert economics gives you an amazing base. It's the sort of subject you either really like or really hate. It actually is a good enough one for an A/ high B, but if you aren't able to do well, you may well do badly. It's not the sort of subject you waffle to get a grand mark.

I did physics for my leaving just in case I needed it for college. If I was doing it again I'd definitely abandon it and take business instead.

JCB wrote:

They don't even do that in my school lol x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

Rockerette wrote:
    if you dont like science stay the hell away from chemistry...
    i vote for physics definitely..

but you're clearly not interested in science so it doesnt matter..

Geog is boring. pretty easy. but SO boring.
    I dont do business, cos well, i hate the whole idea and basis of it. but my friends say its also hell boring and such a rambly bleugh subject.

if you're interested in accounting, then go for it definitely :)
    ah now chemistry isn't all that bad!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Agree with Abercrombie, chemistry isn't too bad at all.

• Advertisement

well i dont do it myself, but from some of my friends who do physics, chemistry adn biology, they say chemistry is just... more difficult and much more boring than the others...

but as i said, i dont know!

and plus JC chemistry i didnt like much...
    physics was the only bit i understood!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 kickthedog

All depends on what you want to do when you leave, if you want to do something like medicine or nursing then the sciences and home ec are your best bet. If law is what you're aiming for do business and history, the last two are especially good for aspiring lawyers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

if you're unsure about what you want to do then i would suggest giving yourself more choice by doing different subjects.

i'm doing business, german, irish, biology, art, english and geography.
    i already have maths 'cause i did that last year.

if you picked something like - business, accounting, economics and ag eg you wouldn't have much choice

my friend last year picked...physics chemistry biology and applied maths :p

Rockerette wrote:
    well i dont do it myself, but from some of my friends who do physics, chemistry adn biology, they say chemistry is just... more difficult and much more boring than the others...

but as i said, i dont know!

and plus JC chemistry i didnt like much...
    physics was the only bit i understood!

I hated science so much that I never bothered figuring the difference between the three!! x

hehe well then thast fair enough..

as what Aporia said, give yourself some options if you dont know what you want to do, or theres definitely no particular "area" you want to work in..

i chose geog, hist, physics and music, which i think gives me a pretty good variety :)

Advertisement