Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ntl - Mywireless set-up query?

• 12-03-2006 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have ntl installed at home, I am living in college and haven't returned home since installation,so am not positive of the set-up.
    My step-dad tells me that they installed it in his room upstairs and supplied a netgear router as well which connects to the usual modem/router/black thing and sends the signal throughout the house.

In the living room the signal is picked up by an oldish p4 pc which accepts it through a usb device, my question is I have two centrino laptops and want to connect them to the wireless internet as well, I have ordered a linksy router for this purpose, but do I need one or will i be able to connect all three computers(2laptops and desktop) without it?

Thanks a mill for any help/input.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Does the linksys router have a WAN port on it? If not it probably will not work.. Definatly not if its an ADSL router with a phone connection for ADSL.

If it has a Wan port it will be fine... probably automatic.. just plug it in and it should get its IP address automatically using DHCP from the NTL modem/router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I don't have the linksys router yet I am asking do I need to buy one, or will the netgear one that they supplied me with do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

why do you need ANOTHER router?

all you need it the SSID or Network Key for the Netgear router and you can gain access to that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

ok cool thanks, I was told by someone on this site to order a linksys router, when I first enquired about it on this thread here

so I am sure I have that key, I presume the ntl people would have given it to my step-dad.
    SO to confirm all three computers will be able to use internet at once?

thats what a router does, accepts the IP address from the modem and then transmits a signal. once you have a wireless card or dongle on each laptop you can then recieve an IP address from the transmitted signal once you have the SSID

the chap who installed it might have given it to your Dad but maybe not

try contacting Netgear of you cant log-on

• Advertisement

Oh i did not get the part where they gave you a wireless router... I thought you were saying they only gave you a standard Netgear router and you wanted to set up a wireless connection so where buying a wireless router...
    So as other people said... just turn on you laptop and it should be picked up.
    I think i need to go to bed... brain not working right now.. needs sleep :D

Sandals wrote:
    netgear router as well which connects to the usual modem/router/black thing and sends the signal throughout the house.

i thought this was the giveaway

Hey i was half asleep when i was posting... :D

Advertisement