Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAT Problem

Options
  • 12-03-2006 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I have azureus and i get NAT problems on azureus ever since i installed the wireless netgear modem....

there are 3 computers that connect to this modem including mine..wirelessly...and i cant seem to solve the NAT problem....can anyone help?

i dont want to do something that will spoil the wireless coz it took a long time to set it up...

thankyou

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Open port 6881 on your router (need to login to the routers admin). Go to www.portforward.com i you want a guide with pictures. But you need port 6881 for TCP and UDP for azureus for the IP of the PC you wish to download on.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

You dont have to use 6881 specifically, many isp's block this port so it's prob best to go for a port in the higher ranges!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Yeah open ports 55,250 to 55,255 or similar and use one of those as a lot of torrent sites blacklist ports 6881-6999 by default anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Similar problem, but can't seem to fix it. Think I have all my ports open but can't be too sure. I had no problems using Azureus yesterday but downloaded IE7 tonight and haven't been able to make it work since.

Can anyone give me a simple step by step guide to fixing my NAT problem. Its Firewalled and I think it has something to do with my DHT.

As I have no idea what they are :o , I can't fix it, and all the online guides so far have assumed a level of IT that I simply don't have.

EDIT: Should add I have no idea what router I have but I have NTL broadband and ntl 250 is the mod

Appreciate any help...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Dodge wrote:
    EDIT: Should add I have no idea what router I have but I have NTL broadband and ntl 250 is the mod
    Open a command prompt (Start/Run, type CMD click OK) and run IPCONFIG.

If your IP address doesn't start with 192.168 then your NTL modem isn't doing NAT. You're wide open to worms and attacks from the internet, but youy don't have to do any port forwarding.

• Advertisement

Foxwood wrote:
    If your IP address doesn't start with 192.168 then your NTL modem isn't doing NAT. You're wide open to worms and attacks from the internet, but youy don't have to do any port forwarding.
    My IP starts with 89.100

Sorry to be dumb but how does that effect the NAT,a dn where do I go from here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Foxwood wrote:
    Open a command prompt (Start/Run, type CMD click OK) and run IPCONFIG.

This is far from a scientific method of determining these facts. A firewall doesn't have to NAT traffic to block ports.

Dodge, a quick way of seeing a port scan on your IP would be to go to grc.com and try the 'shields up' link. This will tell you the status of common ports.

This is far from a scientific method of determining these facts. A firewall doesn't have to NAT traffic to block ports.
    He'd have to have a firewall for that to be relevant. NTL doesn't give out firewalls, and it's pretty clear that he hasn't installed his own.

Dodge wrote:
    My IP starts with 89.100

Sorry to be dumb but how does that effect the NAT,a dn where do I go from here?
    It means that you aren't behind a NAT router. You have a direct connection to the internet, and you don't need to open any ports on the NTL hardware.

If you need to open ports, they're on whatever software firewall you're running.

OK, and how do I do that? (IE7 and Norton Intenet Security)

• Advertisement

Dodge wrote:
    OK, and how do I do that? (IE7 and Norton Intenet Security)
    It's got nothing to do with your browser, it's all down to Norton, which I don't use, so I can't advise.

Advertisement