Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jose Gonzalez

• 12-03-2006 2:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭

Was watching the telly the other day and that Sony Bravia ad came on, you know the one with all the coloured balls bouncing down the hill. Anyway, the background sone really hit me and i spent the next while trying to find out who he was... thankfully someone commented on the video on youtube and the name Jose Gonzalez popped up...

After acquiring his album Veneer ive become hooked...
    Anyone heard of him or any of his songs apart from the ad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Yes of course they have he is quite popular, don't be so obvious about aquiruing media, I went to the Bell X1 concert in the RDS where he supported, what do you want exactly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sandals wrote:
    Yes of course they have he is quite popular, don't be so obvious about aquiru=ing media, I went to the Bell X1 concert in the RDS where he supported, what do you want exactky??
    Oh, sorry... ive been asking around and no-one i knew had heard of him... and id not heard of him before that ad.

Never mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I picked up his album a while back and thought it was really good at first. I thought it was quite intense, like Nick Drake's Pink Moon, but I have to say Veneer got very tedious very quickly. There is a real hidden depth to Nick Drake's stuff, whereas there's nothing beneath the surface for me when it comes to José Gonzalez.

I still like Heartbeats however, but I suppose you should know that it's a cover version of a song by a Swedish band called the Knife (José Gonzalez is also Swedish so I suppose that's how he heard of them :p).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Sandals wrote:
    Yes of course they have he is quite popular, don't be so obvious about aquiru=ing media, I went to the Bell X1 concert in the RDS where he supported, what do you want exactky??

Sandals, do you ever speak English?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Yea, veener is a class album but i agree with Serbian, it gets old fairly fast. If you do like it though, definitely pick up Pink Moon by Nick Drake.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Surely everyone knows him now because of that ad, he was no3 in the album chart a few weeks ago. Anyway, when it came out i heard the album was mediocre, and discouraged people from buying it when the ad made Heartbeats popular. They now have all admitted to me being right.

Wow, you can teach us all so much Garret, tell us where else, have you proven your higher intellect over us mere sapians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

In fairness your reply to the OP was quite smart, so you shouldn't be too shocked when someone else is smart back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Garret

Sandals wrote:
    Wow, you can teach us all so much Garret, tell us where else, have you proven your higher intellect over us mere sapians?

i read my post over and yea i did come across a bit of a knob sorry but I was kinda just saying he's not great and undeserving of the acclaim he is getting now. I like his cover of love will tear us apart, tho. Not as good as the original but its different.

But to be pedantic i'm sure what you meant was : mere homo homo sapians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

picked his album up about 2 years ago on a trip to sweden, and liked it instantly.

this led me to import most of his records/ep's/singles from sweden and have seen him 2 out of the 3 times (wouldn't pay to see him at bellx1 as i believe in value for money) he's been in ireland and i've got tickets for his show in may.

granted he is a bit over hyped these days but what you expect when a song you preform in on the tv every bloody 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Heartbeats is actually a cover of another Swedish band (The Knife, who's lead singer does the vocals on Royksopps song, 'What Else is There'). She's a good singer but he does improve on the original. A lot.

I'm such a musical snob, I just hope Sandals doesn't jump on me now.

PiE wrote:
    Heartbeats is actually a cover of another Swedish band (The Knife, who's lead singer does the vocals on Royksopps song, 'What Else is There'). She's a good singer but he does improve on the original. A lot.

I'm such a musical snob, I just hope Sandals doesn't jump on me now.

Pie Pie Pie, oh dearest Pie, how comical you are, the fact is i would be delighted with that post of yours, assuming that it had not been posted in the third post of this thread, get a grip, bye bye just driver your chevvy to the levy or whatever, lets hope it's not as dry as you!
    A long, long time ago I can still remember how that music used to make me smile and I knew if I had my chance that I could make those people dance and maybe they'd be happy for a while but February made me shiver with every paper I delivered, bad news on the door step, I couldn't take one more step, I can't remember if I cried when I read about his widowed bride but something touched me deep inside, the day, the music, died. So...

CHORUS
    Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die, this will be the day that I die.

Did you write the book of love and do you have faith in God above, if the bible tells you so, and do you believe in rock n' roll, can music save your mortal soul and can you teach me how to dance real slow? Well I know that you're in love with him cuz I saw you dancin in the gym you both kicked off your shoes and I dig those rhythm and blues. I was a lonely teenage bronkin buck with a pink carnation and a pick up truck but I knew I was out of luck, the day, the music, died. I started singin...

Chorus

Now for ten years we've been on our own and moss grows fat on a rollin stone but that's not how it used to be, when the jester sang for the king and queen in a coat he borrowed from James Dean and a voice that came from you and me, oh and while the king was looking down, the jester stole his thorny crown the courtroom was adjourned, no verdict was returned, and while Lenin read a book on Marx, the quartet practiced in the park and we sang dirges in the dark, the day, the music, died. We were singin...

Chorus

Helter Skelter in a summer swelter the birds flew off with a fallout shelter, eight miles high and fallin fast, its the land that falled on the grass the players tried for a forward pass with the jester on the sidelines in a cast, now the half-time air was sweet perfume while the sergeants played a marching tune we all got up to dance oh but we never got the chance oh as the players tried to take the field the marching band refused to yield do you recall what was revealed, the day, the music, died. We started singin...

Chorus

Oh and there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space with no time left to start again, so come on, Jack be nimble, Jack be quick, Jack Flash sat on a candle stick because fire is the devils only friend, oh and as I watched him on the stage, my hands were clinched in fists of rage, no angel born in hell could break that satan's spell and as the planes climbed high into the night to light the sacrificial right I saw satan laughing with delight, the day, the music, died. He was singin...

Chorus

I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away, I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before but the man there said the music wouldn't play and in the streets the children screamed, the lovers cried, and the poets dreamed but not a word was spoken, the church bells all were broken and the three men I admire most, the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, they caught the last train for the coast, the day, the music, died, and they were singin...

Chorus

They were singin... Bye, bye Miss American Pie drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry an them good ol' boys were drinkin whiskey and rye singin this will be the day that I die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Missed that reply. Sorry Serbian I must have been too busy laughing at the hilariously faggoty reply a couple of posts before it.

scorn not my simplicity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭s8n

wtf, are ye two on about ????

O.P.,if you like Jóse,you should check out John Martyn (particularly Solid Air),or as previously mentioned,Nick Drake.

s8n wrote:
    wtf, are ye two on about ????

O.P.,if you like Jóse,you should check out John Martyn (particularly Solid Air),or as previously mentioned,Nick Drake.

Yeah, we should be ignored really,

I like his work, the song remain however insights deep emotional feelings in my lower regions i'd rather ignore, it's so repetitive, it pains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i think "deadweight on the velveteen" is one of his best works.

that or his massive attack cover "teardrop".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Boomer23

are you ONLY allowed post quotes from "other voices" on this thread on can you have your own opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

You can say what you like as long as you don't act like an idiot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dearheart

I can't see the fuss about Gonzalez. Another acoustic bedwetter, ****ing AYE RIGHT LIKE.;)

Plus, the original song makes me wanna put on a glittery shellsuit & dance in a totally non-ironic Scandanavian manner. No harm in that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭weak infant

rex the dog sings the best version.

Advertisement