Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What type of build do Irishmen prefer on women?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

Im 6 4 and tall women only do, dont like skinny ones cause there always in a bad mood ( as they havent eaten all day ) athletic women , send shivers up my spine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Out of interest, would you call me curvy, average or fat?

(i dont have a full lengeth pic on the comp sorry)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Personally, I really would not, ever under any circumstances, post pictures up online and look for an opinion. Really, it's just going to cause pain because some muppet will decide to slag you just for the craic, and not because they have an opinion.

Plus, the camera lies. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

stp wrote:
    ok, here's a random image from google.

party070401.jpg

the blonde is slim/fit, alot of irish girls would call this skinny.

the dark haired girl is fat, alot of irish girl would call this curvey.

the blonde IS skinny. but not super model completely lacking any body fat. but she has a narrow frame. she may not be fit at all, alot of people dont need to exercise to keep in shape. the words mean two different things.

Seraphina wrote:
    the blonde IS skinny. but not super model completely lacking any body fat. but she has a narrow frame. she may not be fit at all, alot of people dont need to exercise to keep in shape. the words mean two different things.

Skinny?

*shrugs*

She looks within the normal spectrum to me, as in not average but not overly thin either. Her frame equally is in the normal spectrum, and tbh her face and arms are also so. Then, I'd view skinny as meaning well thinner than what's normal, which she, would in my opinion, not be.

I agree completly about the fitness thing. As with men, thinness does not correlate with fitness. Some people can live very unhealthy lifestyles and have very trim figures. At least until their mid-20s that is.... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭White Rabbit

Seraphina wrote:

She's not skinny IMHO, she looks about a healthy weight.
    You can see a little pot belly and her fingers are quite round (not sticks like skinny girls have).

She could be unfit but probably isn't, fat people usually are.

In the UK "fit" means a skinny to average build with a pleasing proportions.
    I personally don't like the term.

->dundalk cailin - it's hard to tell without a full length.

*shrugs* maybe we use the term differently. she looks like she has a small enough frame to me, though its just a photo so it's difficult to tell. if you search around you'll see a thread which says the average size is a 16, so she's far from average :P

she definitely looks a healthy weight, like i said, i didn't mean skinny in the super model totally underweight kind of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

redmagic wrote:
    i live in Alaska, but i'm an air force brat so i've actually lived all over the country.

in the States, obesity is 30% or more body fat. BMI- height vs. weight. But this doesn't take into consideration bone structure, musculature, etc. (in other words, Arnold Swartzanegger would be considered obese, if not morbidly so, by the BMI charts). I'm heavy, but i'm also broad shouldered with probably better than decent muscle tone. anyway, it sounds like women agree that Irishmen are not forward. I'll keep that in mind. if i'm forward (bold but not aggressively so) are they going to take offense?

Bmi doesn't not equal body fat.
    Body fat percentage is the ultimate test of 'fatness'. Arnie would never be obese because his body fat level is so low, even though he weighs a lot.

I can't believe in this day and age people aren't educated more about fitness/health. Shocking stuff.

Bmi works off a height to weight ratio and works for 99.9% of the population. Unless you are actively building muscle and in the gym 3 days a week this will apply to you and give you an indication.

Sangre wrote:
    Bmi works off a height to weight ratio and works for 99.9% of the population.

No it doesn't. Educate yourself mate tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

^^^

Save BMI discussions for the fitness forum, guys!

It's all about superficiality here! :-p

• Advertisement

Yeah that debate would never end!
    If BMI tells you you're overweight then assume you are and try not to make excuses (im broad etc.,) until you get a proper bf% done or something!

Sangre wrote:
    If BMI tells you you're overweight then assume you are and try not to make excuses (im broad etc.,) until you get a proper bf% done or something!

That I don't disagree with. It doesn't work well for some people, but they are, as one would imagine, the "freaks". The ones with unusually thick bones for their builds, extreme width for their builds etc. The BMI is really not accurate. But it is an excellent rule of thumb. If you have a BMI of 28, you almost definitely are overweight. But a BMI of 26? *shrugs* You could literally be big boned. :p

The choice? Either you're overweight or a freak.... Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Out of interest, would you call me curvy, average or fat?

You're average IMO, not fat, not skinny (in those pics anyway). Though, and being totally honest here, it looks as though you've lost weight but not in a healthy way i.e going to the gym and dieting properly. It's just indicated by your arms(imo).
    Nesf wrote:
    She looks within the normal spectrum to me, as in not average but not overly thin either. Her frame equally is in the normal spectrum, and tbh her face and arms are also so. Then, I'd view skinny as meaning well thinner than what's normal, which she, would in my opinion, not be.

I'd completely agree with that. The brunette is definately fat though (imo)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭redmagic

She's not skinny IMHO, she looks about a healthy weight.
    You can see a little pot belly and her fingers are quite round (not sticks like skinny girls have).

are you kidding? a little pot belly! i think it's just wrinkles in her shirt. and round fingers? whatever.

Sangre wrote:

I can't believe in this day and age people aren't educated more about fitness/health. Shocking stuff.

i'm not sure if you're referring to my education or not, but if you are, you are mistaken about it. I've been dealing with this crap all my life. i know the charts, what they take into account and what they don't.
    save the condecending remarks, okay?

simu wrote:
    ^^^
    It's all about superficiality here! :-p

soeaking of.. i have another question... do you guys pay attention to faces? and if you do, what do you consider pretty?

***Could someone enlighten on how to post to different responses (with the quotes) all in one response of my own?

Sangre wrote:

i don't (definitely don't) look like the blonde. but i don't look like the brunette either. but according to your responses, i would be fat. guess i'll go to Ireland as my fat, loud, rude american self (actually i'm not normally rude or loud, but something in you statement provokes me) :eek:

btw, given the responses on the board, i'd rather be a freak than fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Basically girls, these guys prefer slim women because they're better in bed by a mile than fat women. More energy, more get up and go, livelier, and just better at it.

From my very limited experience you will understand

I've heard women say the same about slim guys but i'll leave that to you ladies to decide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

redmagic wrote:
    ***Could someone enlighten on how to post to different responses (with the quotes) all in one response of my own?
    Hit "quote" on the first message you want to quote in your reply. Then for the next quote type [php]
    user wrote:
    Where "user" is stick in the username of the person you're quoting, obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Seraphina wrote:

sorry, when i said fit i meant it in the context of, wow she's fit! as in she's got a nice figure.

do you really think the blonde is skinny?

how would you decribe the brunnet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

So anyway, where are all the tiny skinny girls with long straight hair?
    Hello?
    PM me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

LadyLotts wrote:
    By skinny do you mean like Mischa Barton and Olsen twins skinny?

MMMMM, Mischa Barton.... probably my ideal woman at the minute..

So anyway, where are all the tiny skinny girls with long straight hair?

Boards Beers. :)

now i'd call her skinny.

of course i wouldn't say no.

stp wrote:
    sorry, when i said fit i meant it in the context of, wow she's fit! as in she's got a nice figure.

do you really think the blonde is skinny?

how would you decribe the brunnet?

yeah, but i seem to use the term differently to everyone else. she's not underweight or anything, like i said i didn't mean it in the 'omg she must starve herself, and she's not a real woman' way, its a term i use to describe women smaller than me basically (and im not fat before you start on that crap) as i have a wide frame (shoulders, hips etc.)
    yeah i would consider the brunette fat, i aint one of those women who likes to pretend about stuff like that.

• Advertisement

really? im not one of these girls that begrudges good looking women and claims they're not real, but honestly, doesn't she have a non-existant figure?
    she looks like a pre-pubescent boy!

edit: a quick google image search reveals her weight seems to vary alot. she looks an awful lot better with a bit of meat on her. too many ribs in some pics!

Seraphina wrote:
    yeah, but i seem to use the term differently to everyone else. she's not underweight or anything, like i said i didn't mean it in the 'omg she must starve herself, and she's not a real woman' way, its a term i use to describe women smaller than me basically (and im not fat before you start on that crap) as i have a wide frame (shoulders, hips etc.)
    yeah i would consider the brunette fat, i aint one of those women who likes to pretend about stuff like that.

i bet you're a big fatso!

.......... kidding:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Arg, I hate the word skinny. It's so awful. I'd just like to point out that not all women are 'stick-insects' by choice. I'm only 17, granted, but I have always been thin....my metabolism is extremely fast, so I never gain weight. It's really bent, I hate wearing clothes that show my shoulders or arms..but the worst is comments people make. 'You're so skinny, you're so lucky!', 'Are you anorexic?' etc. I'm going to stop now before it turns into a big rant..

are there any males over 30 posting to this thread??

I'd just like to point out that not all women are 'stick-insects' by choice. I'm only 17, granted, but I have always been thin....my metabolism is extremely fast, so I never gain weight. It's really bent, I hate wearing clothes that show my shoulders or arms..but the worst is comments people make. 'You're so skinny, you're so lucky!', 'Are you anorexic?' etc.

ahh,yes, but it sounds like you'd get all the guys. maybe that's no consolation, but to those of us who are fat (which to me, is a word just as bad as skinny), wanting the attention of guys, we would be happy to change places with you.
    and, btw, to all those guys out there...losing weight isn't as easy as you all make it sound...it's not just 'getting our asses down to the gym' (cheesedude)...there are psycological as well as physiological elements involved. AND I'M NOT MAKING EXCUSES (sangre).
    reyman wrote:
    From my very limited experience you will understand.

Very limited. Obviously.

• Advertisement

Losing weight is easy.

Sangre wrote:
    Losing weight is easy.

for some reason, I had the idea that Irish men were different from American men. Turns out, I was wrong. talking to Irish guys in their early twenties is like talking to American guys in their early twenties: like beating my head against a wall. men will never understand that women are DIFFERENT than men, and things don't work the same for us as they do for you. so while it might be easy for men to lose weight, it's not so easy for women to lose weight.:rolleyes:
    and before you (sangre) respond to this with some remark to irritate me again, don't bother because i've been there and done that (whole weight thing) and know, from your remarks, you haven't.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

redmagic wrote:

Yes, I'm 31.

Back to the original question- I think that you may possibly have a valid argument that guys perceptions change or that what they are looking for in a woman will change as they get older. We all tend to be a lot more superficial when we are younger- going for the pretty girl who looks amazing (but who might not have two brain cells between her ears).

Personally- the biggest turn-off of any sort with me is smoking. I cannot abide smoking whatsoever, no exceptions. Thereafter- while I would be lying if I said looks don't matter, having a reasonable intelligence level and being able to hold a coherent conversation on topics of mutual interest are massive pluses. Looks matter- yes, they are the first thing you notice. But being incapable to string a coherent sentence together is such a massive turn-off.

If someone was massively overweight- while I would most probably equate that with their being decidedly incapable of taking care of themself to the point of not caring about their health- I probably would not have any probs being friends with them (providing we had sufficient mutual areas of interest), but I would *not* consider them g/f material.

Personal likes- girls who are not anorexic- but not fat either. Someone who is reasonably fit, but not likely to drag you to every sporting fixture in a 50 mile radius (i.e. someone who you can go for a walk with around town, without them moaning about having sore feet every 10 minutes). Has to be intelligent and have an inquisitive mind (without questioning every single little thing). Has to be reasonably easy going. Oh yes, the big thing I hate is someone who schedules absolutely every little thing (we are going to do blah at 9AM, by 9.45 we will be back at the car and do blah at 10.50 etc. etc.) Just let things happen.

In short- while looks help- they are *not* everything, other things matter a hell of a lot more.

Re: red hair etc- while I've dated a girl with red hair before, my fiancee is blond. I did not make a conscious decision to date someone on their hair colour. I would tend to go with the concensus that Irish guys prefer smaller girls- I'm 5'9" my fiancee is 5'2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

redmagic wrote:
    Since you ask...:D

I reckon most (Irish) men like looking at skinny girls — lots of women's fashions are designed by men who prefer the 'pre-pubescent boy' look... — but actually prefer cuddly/curvy, in bed (or wherever).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

redmagic wrote:
    ahh,yes, but it sounds like you'd get all the guys. maybe that's no consolation, but to those of us who are fat (which to me, is a word just as bad as skinny), wanting the attention of guys, we would be happy to change places with you.

That's the general misconception. I'm not just thin, I'm very underweight. You would not actually want to trade places with me. Summer is a nightmare clothes-wise! Especially on holidays abroad..arg. I do have a boyfriend, but he, unlike most boys, is not bothered by my weight. Most boys would consider me to be pretty but 'too skinny'. But generally most people wouldn't know how thin I am, because I wear clothes that don't exactly show it off.

redmagic wrote:
    men will never understand that women are DIFFERENT than men, and things don't work the same for us as they do for you. so while it might be easy for men to lose weight, it's not so easy for women to lose weight.:

Get Mr Bush to move you from Alaska to India with the Air Force for 6 months.

I guarantee you'll get thin very fast.

Then you'll be glad of Ireland or USA or anywhere else with 'food'

Reyman wrote:
    Get Mr Bush to move you from Alaska to India with the Air Force for 6 months.

I guarantee you'll get thin very fast.

Then you'll be glad of Ireland or USA or anywhere else with 'food'

ooh, you're another like sangre who gets my goat every time you respond.
    pay attention, please. I said i'm an Air Force brat, not IN the Air Force. the difference being that the brat part means my father was in the AF, not me.

so basically you're suggesting that i starve myself? how much sense does that make? sorry if i sound condecending but, really, do you think starvation is a good way to lose weight? so i can be thin, be appealing to men who like thin or skinny women? give me a better suggestion than that,or, better yet, don't give me any more.

That's the general misconception. I'm not just thin, I'm very underweight. You would not actually want to trade places with me. Summer is a nightmare clothes-wise! Especially on holidays abroad..arg. I do have a boyfriend, but he, unlike most boys, is not bothered by my weight. Most boys would consider me to be pretty but 'too skinny'. But generally most people wouldn't know how thin I am, because I wear clothes that don't exactly show it off.

i suppose you're probably right, but it's easy to believe the 'grass is greener...'

smccarrick wrote:
    In short- while looks help- they are *not* everything, other things matter a hell of a lot more.

Re: red hair etc- while I've dated a girl with red hair before, my fiancee is blond. I did not make a conscious decision to date someone on their hair colour. I would tend to go with the concensus that Irish guys prefer smaller girls- I'm 5'9" my fiancee is 5'2".

i am reasonably fit, as you described---able to walk (and bike) long distances without moaning about my feet or legs--, but most on this thread would consider me fat.
    and i agree that most men would like women shorter than themselves. it's that way in the States. i think that's just the way things work. i like men taller than me (preferably 5'10-6'4). however, i suppose i'm not taking into account the average height of Irishmen. do you know what it is?

also, let's just say you don't have a fience, you go to a club/pub, and you see an attractive girl, thin etc, etc. you walk up to her, talk to her, find out she can't string a coherent sentence together (and it's not cause of the Guinness). would you stay and talk to her or find someone else?

peckerhead wrote:
    Since you ask...:D

I reckon most (Irish) men like looking at skinny girls — lots of women's fashions are designed by men who prefer the 'pre-pubescent boy' look... — but actually prefer cuddly/curvy, in bed (or wherever).

that's at least somewhat comforting:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

redmagic wrote:
    i am reasonably fit, as you described---able to walk (and bike) long distances without moaning about my feet or legs--, but most on this thread would consider me fat.
    and i agree that most men would like women shorter than themselves. it's that way in the States. i think that's just the way things work. i like men taller than me (preferably 5'10-6'4). however, i suppose i'm not taking into account the average height of Irishmen. do you know what it is?

also, let's just say you don't have a fience, you go to a club/pub, and you see an attractive girl, thin etc, etc. you walk up to her, talk to her, find out she can't string a coherent sentence together (and it's not cause of the Guinness). would you stay and talk to her or find someone else?

At 5'9" I'd be considered neither short nor tall- perhaps very slightly above average height, but not much. I'm guessing I'm around the average height of an Irish guy.

A big difference you will find here is that older guys don't tend to wander up to women in pubs and start chatting. We tend to go out in groups, and pretty much stick to those groups. You would be surprised at the number of people who marry work colleagues/colleague buddies etc. Maybe I'm making a bit of a generalisation here.

Younger people do tend to frequent types of pubs/clubs than older people- so it is a bit of a mixture though.

Re: chatting up someone and finding out that she wasn't really able to chat back, and it wasn't the drink- to be 100% honest, even if someone was considered to be stunning, if they were not reasonably intelligent I'd make some excuse and leave.

Maybe what I'm saying is that older guys put a higher value on intelligence and commonsense than they do on looks....... A lot of the comments on this thread, as you have correctly surmised, are from people a lot younger with a different set of values.

redmagic wrote:
    so basically you're suggesting that i starve myself? how much sense does that make? sorry if i sound condecending but, really, do you think starvation is a good way to lose weight? so i can be thin, be appealing to men who like thin or skinny women? give me a better suggestion than that,or, better yet, don't give me any more.

Well baby the guys here seem to prefer thin gals, so I suppose if you want to score you'll have to shape up

No two ways about it !

Now myself - i prefer my ladies with some shape & some curves. Built for comfort not for speed.

So you might get a look in with me!

Reyman wrote:
    Now myself - i prefer my ladies with some shape & some curves. Built for comfort not for speed.

So you might get a look in with me!

for once, i'm speechless.

redmagic wrote:
    for once, i'm speechless.

Quelle change!

We're here to please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i'm not too fussy about hair colour, height etc, once i find her cute and she has something about her which tickles my fancy, i'm happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭cordelia

Redmagic,

The best thing I can tell you is to stop worrying about what Irish men like. Work on making some online friends here at Boards and then plan on going to a Boards Beer or some such event.
    The dating scene here isn't really a dating scene at all. It's about going out with mates for a laugh, a chat and some pints. If you're funny, able to hold a conversation, and easy to be around then you'll have no problems enjoying yourself at a preplanned event like BoardsBeer (tm). Most people going haven't met each other IRL so the normal reservedness, I would assume, doesn't hold as true as in the usual Irish pubscene.
    Just go and have a good time. Relax, already. It's not about meeting men, it's about immersing yourself in the experience. When that's in place the rest tends to come naturally.
    As for what "irish men" like, people are people. As in individuals with individual preferences. They'll be attracted or they won't, you'll have no control over that. So why worry about it? Just have a good time.
    Personally, I think men in general are attracted to girls who are comfortable with themselves, take care with their appearance, and are enjoyable to be around. Or am I being naive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

size 8-10
    32 d - 34 e
    slender arms
    over 5ft 4
    pert bum

that's about the build i like :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Diarmiud

Most arent that picky. For me, now, slim, lean, fast. Able to make a swift escape from Fionn

cordelia wrote:
    Redmagic,

Personally, I think men in general are attracted to girls who are comfortable with themselves, take care with their appearance, and are enjoyable to be around. Or am I being naive?

A good body helps. Helps a lot.

Don't kid yourself kitten, faces/make-up don't count that much. Guys are basic creatures

Did you know a man can accurately gauge a woman's child bearing potential at a distance of 300m!

• Advertisement

Reyman wrote:
    Did you know a man can accurately gauge a woman's child bearing potential at a distance of 300m!

are men really concerned with a woman's childbearing potential when they're at a club?;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement