Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Colt or Honda Civic?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm looking to get my first car and am considering either a Civic or a Colt. Which of the two is the better car generally? I have a budget of around 5k for the car itself. It would have to be 1.4 max because its my first car;)

Or, is there another similar car that you would recommend above these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Both are very reliable, i'd be inclined to go for the colt myself, insurance companies might not be to 'generous' when insuring a Civic, considering its boy racer image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭le-dub

I'm guessing your around 20years old and only have a provisonal license? The insurance on a 1.4 civic honda/ Mitsub colt is going to be close to €3000. Personally i would go for a civic honda as i hate the colt.

I know you prob don't want to hear this, but if i was you i would get a volkswagen polo/Seat Ibiza 1.0, with a budget of €5,000 your bound to get a good one. IT doesn't have to be a polo/Ibiza, but there reliable and solid. I think your best doing this, apply for your licence and get your NCB up and get experiece of driving.

I was in the same position as you and wanted to buy a Civic Honda, but i bought a volkswagen polo and drove it for 4 years and passed my test and now im driving a Volkswagen Golf 03D with a full licence and insurance is cheap.

IF you decide you go with a honda/colt try this insurace company as there cheap, even just get TPFT, but its risk

http://www.brittoninsurance.com/car.html

check these website's:

www.cbg.ie
    www.carzone.ie

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

give us some more details, especially insurance related, age, licence type, ncb?

how much have you to spend on insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭theAwakening

I bought a honda civic 1.4 hatchback as my first car. I got insured TPFT at 18 on provisional licence for €1700 via Hibernian. You will get a cheap insurance quote if you try to get insured as a named driver under one of your parents names (provided they have a decent driving history, full licence etc.)

I have had the civic since last August and haven't had a single problem with it. I got it from a dealer for €5000, with 75k miles on the clock. i cant comment on the Colt though, i've never driven one, nor has anyone i know. I do hate the look of the back of the car though. rotten. So get a damn Civic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

You will get a cheap insurance quote if you try to get insured as a named driver under one of your parents names (provided they have a decent driving history, full licence etc.)
    The only problem with that is that you don't start building up a no-claims while your a named driver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The only problem with that is that you don't start building up a no-claims while your a named driver

yeh i was stupid enough to do this, if i had of went under my own name from the start, I'd have full no claims bonus now but I only have 1 year

although quinn direct did take my four years named experience into account

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

afaik all the insurers give you some form of discount now for your named expierence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Civic is alot nicer car in my opinion.
    quinn will probly give the best quote. thats who I'm with.
    Hibernian seem good too if you do the ignition coarse.
    The 1L engine doesnt ALWAYS make a diff. Im driving a '01 pug 206 1.4L that i bought for 6K and im paying 1800 insurance and i was givin the same quote for a 1.2 clio/1.3 corola/1.4 golf/1L polo.
    I got a quote of around 2400 for a 1.6 astra sport but the value of that car was higher too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

I had a colt and it was a fantastic car... no problem whatsoever with it... insurance was much cheaper than a civic too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

If youre a young driver, id go for the colt.

Both are reliable cars, and parts readily available, but the colt gives less of he oul boyracer image tbh. Also, a Colt will be cheaper to insure (ive checked) and theyre plenty nippy for a 1.3 ... No prob getting up to motorway speedlimits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

lots of silly looking versions of both going about. For that reason I'd steer clear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭bammccabe

personally i'd take the civic as well,but i can tell you first hand that they will just crumple if you get in an accident,i was unfortunate enough to get hit from behind in a hatchback civic when there was a school bus stopping in front af me and if you've ever seen the episode of father ted where jack takes the car,thats what my civic looked like, if anyone had been in the back the would have been killed and i spent a week in hospital.

other than that incident brilliant car, have a 97 one now for nearly a year, not a problem with it in that time and passed its nct without changing a thing.

Advertisement