Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Eddings

Options
  • 12-03-2006 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

just out of interest.....does anyone else think this author rules!!!:D and secondly why do most book shops(including easons) have book one and book three of The Elenium but they dont and cant get book two for some reason:eek: !! i had to get it off ebay :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mtlneasagl

I love David Eddings!! :D I way prefer the stuff he writes himself to the stuff he writes with Leigh though :) I like the Elenium and the Tamuli rather than the Belgariad or Malloreon though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

the sapphire rose was good, bu I didnt like the others much. but then again... I love Annias so that isnt all that surprising

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I read all the books 10-15 years ago and absolutely loved them. You should be able to pick them up on Ebay cheaply enough... well worth getting.

I'm a really fickle fantasy reader... I was always more into Terry Pratchett, but the Belgariad had me hooked from the first chapter and I quickly devoured the rest of the books in the saga. I could never finish any Anne McCaffrey or Tolkien books.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Yes i loved reading all his books.. only thing that bothered me slightly was his overuse of the word "melancholy" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Ah, David Eddings is a nice introduction to Fantasy, he's very easy to read - only problem is that after a while his books tend to get very samey

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

yes i agree
    i loved the Belgariad and the Mallorean
    but his Sparhawk books were the same stuff all over again
    and i read another standalone book can't remember the name of it though and it was just a condensed version of the same story again
    i've given up on his books now i'm afraid

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Eddings is a good storyteller and I am just finishing the last book of the Belgariad series now. I've read the Tamuli and really liked that as well as The Redemption of Althalus. I do think that his books are a little too full of humour though. You never really get a sense of dread or fear that the characters are not gonna make it, or that someone will die. I suppose on the other hand you have R Jordan and T Goodkind. They may tend to put so much despair and hoplessness in that you feel too drained to read on!
    One thing that does annoy me about the Sparhawk books is the overuse of the phrase 'for some reason' usually said in a mildly carcastic manner :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭nude_hamster

yes the belgariad and mallorean were brilliant!! then add the books about belgarath and polgara to them ....both pretty good too! ... and im quickly on my way through ruby knight..i'v read a lot of fantasy...but theres just something about david eddings that grabs me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Seeker

yeah he's great , a little childish at times , but still great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DNA Ireland

Am in agreement about the repititious use of phrases by Eddings - reading Castle of Wizardry at the mo and I counted on one page the amount of times Silk said something "sardonically" ... 4 on one page... did the editor not see that? WE GET IT! He's a sarky git, now go dig out the dusty thesaurus!! :confused:
    Just bought Feist's Magician - supposed to be fab!
    Am a bit a noob when it comes to Fantasy books but games... can't wait for July...NWN2.....yipeeeeeee!!! :rolleyes: Playing Morrowind right now - boyf is hogging Oblivion :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Read a load of his books and loved them, but I've outgrown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Don't have the book next to me so Im not sure but he wrote The Redemption of Althalus right?

Advertisement