Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classical Studies

• 12-03-2006 2:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I decided that I'd like to do Classical Studies as an extra subject for the Leaving Cert. My school has never done it, so I'm pretty much stuck on where to start. If anyone is doing it for the Junior Cert, can you give me any tips on what the basic background is?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,474 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Check if there are papers on examinations.ie

Do you need to have some understanding of Greek / Latin?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

Classics is the study of the ancient world including roman architecture, roman army, greek life stuff of that nature, you do greek plays such as Medea and read stuff like homer and the illiad

Doing it in ty, latin and greek not needed, although the latin junior cert course does cover roman history which helps for classics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

Thank God...I thought I'd be left here,wondering what the heck is gonna happen...some people finally posted replies!
    Thanks, I'll look at examinations.ie...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

i do this subject for the junior cert and its a good subject if your interested......asked my teacher what the leaving cert program is like and he said that its a mixture of history and english and also said that he has had a few classes doin it and it is quite a good subject and easy to get marks if you work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Why would actually bother doing an extra subject? Thats f****** crazy to quite honest. 7 subjects is enough for the leaving cert. Whats the point in 8 or 9. Just to sound cool. "Oh , I got 9 A1s in my leaving cert".

Littlemissprincess. Are you mad?

Its the points that matter at the end of the day. It doesnt matter if you like the subject or not. Your only f****** yourself up for the leaving cert by doing another subject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Liking the subject is quite important. If you like the subject, it's less a subject, more an interest. It's much easier to do well in a subject that you actually enjoy.

I like a subject if im good at it. Simple as.

So you don't like anything you're not good at?

I did not imply "everything". I like "subjects" which Im good at. Get your words straight.

Who would like a subject if they kept getting Ds or even Fs in it?

My implication was actually that being good at something, which interestingly enough can apply to subjects as well, is not the only reason anyone would ever enjoy something. Admittedly, being good at something can make it more enjoyable, but unless one lives solely to impress others, there are other enjoyments to be had.

Also, you realise that there are Es between Ds and Fs?

• Advertisement

I do "realise" that there "Es" in the grading system. I did not include "Es" in my last post because I said "even Fs" which expressed my point more clearly that why would a person do a subject if they are s*** at it. Happy now?

Do you have criticise every word which is said?!?!?!?!?!?

Theres no need for it.

I believe you were criticising my words, so I would advise you to direct your excessive exclamation and question marks at yourself.

I was merely pointing it out because I thought it was interesting, maybe even a little funny.

Well from where Im standing I didnt think so.

Quite clearly not!

Advertisement