Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimax?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

useruser wrote:
    I guess the only difference is that Joe Soap is not going to have the base station available to him to create his own l33t link. I take your point however.
    has one ever heard of "ad hoc" mode , peer to peer ?
    I guess this is the main difference, when noone has a licence then anything goes.
    Well 2.4Ghz is for low power indoor use and if one uses it in low power (EIRP) mode indoors one does not need a licence to so do . If one were to use it otherwise, and exceed 100mw EIRP outdoors then they would need a licence except that no licencing framework exists for high power outdoor use in that spectrum .
    I'd hope it would be a little different if people start spewing all over licenced spectrum that is in use. I imagine your prediction of Comreg inaction is on the money though!
    ah no, Comreg will blame Intel for shipping Wimax chipsets in their laptops and tell their licencees to sue Intel :D
    How are 5.4GHz and 5.8GHz?
    Where do you think that 2.4Ghz operator IBB went next after they made ****e of the 2.4Ghz band a few years back :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

useruser wrote:
    What station is this? Is it any good?

How are 5.4GHz and 5.8GHz?

Probabily rebroadcasting UCB radio, I'd guess which is on Satellite. Idiots.

5.x GHz to too much like LOS. Its for open plan offices or dish on chimney IMO.

If your homebrew link uses a pair of dishes on tall poles on chimneys then much less likely to be affected by others.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

watty wrote:
    Probabily rebroadcasting UCB radio, I'd guess which is on Satellite. Idiots.
    Yep 549 Khz. been there for years and even listed in the latest WRTV handbook. Comreg claimed never to have heard of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭useruser

Sponge Bob wrote:
    has one ever heard of "ad hoc" mode , peer to peer ?
    I'm aware of it, is it in the Wimax spec? There is a proposed mesh extension for 802.16 but I don't think that's ratified yet.
    Where do you think that 2.4Ghz operator IBB went next after they made ****e of the 2.4Ghz band a few years back :(

Hence the question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

Just reading this discussion on WiMAX but haven’t read all of it yet..
    But here’s the idea WiMAX technology hopes to bring.

WiMAX is know as the 802.16 standard, then there’s variation with in that i.e (16a,16e...) but the idea to standardize the outdoor wireless access is to have ability for WISP to share their equipment and to give Customers more options to move between operators, using their current CPE, much like how the Mobile phone sector works, Intel’s involvement in WiMAX is big but at the moment they are only concentrating in CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) they have developed a Chipset (Pro/Wireless 5116) that is 802.16 compliant.
    Digiweb, IBB, and Clearwire have deployed WiMAX ready equipment, meaning the equipment can all operates @ the 3.5Ghz Band even thou they are using different manufactures all have 802.16 compliance.

Expected Coverage Range,
    WiMAX can do up to 50miles LOS, now if that thru your looking at some seriously high gain antenna’s but it is possible and has been done with 2.4Ghz on the 802.11b WiFi equipment, in realistic terms WiMAX achieves greater distance @ higher bandwidth then the 802.11 equipment.
    From 1km to 6km NLOS Access is capable in City’s from the Base station
    To get up to 30km you need to have LOS with a high gain antenna.

The frequency allocation is split into 3 sections
    • 10 to 66Ghz (Licensed Bands) Transmission in this band is LOS due to fact of the wavelength is very short and far more susceptible to attenuation. However you can achieve far higher data rates.
    • 2 to 11Ghz (Licensed bands) Transmission here can be of NLOS when the CPE’s are in close proximity to the Base station,
    • 2 to 11Ghz (unlicensed bands) this is similar to the above to as it operates in the unlicensed bands between 2 to 11Ghz there is no guarantee that interference may occur die to other systems using the same bands.

WiMAX may not have as much as effect in Ireland due to the very low Broadband penetration but it will be a help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wimax is actually no help to increase BB at all. Operators with licences do that. Suitable equipment has existed for some time.

In many cases different operators use different spectrum licence, it is unlikely you can change operator without new cpe.

"Wimax ready" is meaningless. Most cpe out there will never run wimax without physical replacement.

Comparing Wimax with WiFi is pointless as no decent outdoor system uses WiFi and Wifi was only ever for short range links or indoor.

Wimax will hardly ever do 50Miles LOS:
    1) Few places this is possible.
    2) Too big a cell.

Plenty of existing methods can do 50 miles as easily as Wimax. But at expense of having very few users. Some will do it without LOS.

Yes Wimax is well designed and used COFDM which is good. But above 2GHz the value of COFDM starts to diminsh as the frequency becomes more LOS. 3.5GHz is nearly LOS and 5 to 6GHZ *IS* LOS. 10GHZ very much LOS.

Even at 2.4GHz COFDM has little value. It is very good for 50MHz to 1000Mhz, progressivly less value above.

There will be little or no Wimax below 2.4GHz, so main advantage of it is lost.

Mainly Wimax is a way to sell Intel chips. It does nothing magical that can't be done last year.

There are serious reliability problems above 5GHz with very long hops due to atmospheric diffraction / thermal layers. At 30km range you are mostly talking point to point links or else below 1GHz.

If I was a Wireless BB operator and the Wimax gear is competitive I might use it in a years time. But it won't do anything then that can't be done today just as well. Wimax acceptance will be down to pricing in the end, not the hype around the technology.

Advertisement