Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Sport Hatch - Which Model?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi There,

I'm thinking of availing of Opels current 5050 deal and getting the new Opel Astra Sport Hatch. The problem is I can't figure out which model to go for. For insurance reasons I'm going to get an 1.4 but that leaves the SXi or Design model. From what I can see the SXi is the base model (it's €800 cheaper) but does that mean that the Design has all the features of the SXi and more? From the PDF files on Opel's website its not that obvious.

If anyone could shed light on this for my I would be very appreciative.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭toilet_ducks

Thanks Bazz.

Under the "General" section of these descriptions it says either:

"Trim level: DESIGN"

or

"Trim level: SXi"

Any idea what the difference is? Apart from that the only difference on those descriptions are small things like sport seats and rear electric windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hey toilet. Im collecting mine next week. ordered last oct and riddled with extras body kit etc etc. i went for the sxi because i preferred the interior in the sxi as it was chrome. the design is black. design has nicer wheels and half leather interior but just so bland. design also has auto wipers and lights but i added this feature to the sxi. i will get the design wheels on my sxi for free though. mind u if u do go for extras be prepared to wait unless your getting the one of the floor i waited 5 months.. anything else u would like to know

by the way what garage r u buying it from and what price.

Hey Blah.

Wow 5 months is a long time. What was the delay? Yeah I agree with what you say about the SXi having nicer interior features than the Design so i was wondering why it was more expensive :-)

I am going into Kenilworth motors this week to talk to them and have a budget myself for €25k so don't have a final answer yet. Does the amount on the website include VAT? Wanted to get metallic paint, better CD/radio and the auto wipers/lights as extras.

What else are you getting as extras?

Hi lad. ok well listen what ever kenilworth say prepare to wait and its very annoying. i am getting a yrs road tax but 5 months takes the piss. its just the extras thats the delay nothing specific. I wouldnt get it online just go in and see seriously pm me and i will help you save a few bob. i just went for the standard red paint as i dont think the other colours suit it. what colour were u looking to go for

well for my motor i got

mp3 cd30 radio
    sight & light
    rear parking sensor
    climate
    cruise
    body kit
    alarm
    folding mirrors

im sure im mising something out. all this cost me 27 or in and around. if you want pm me and i will tell ya about the person im getting it off. ive always wanted to get a few sports hatch owners together. there great cars

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was going to say anything but a 1.4. It's a bit flat tbh.

Was thinking 1.4 because insurance for a 1.6 is €2700 while 1.4 is €1400...

Actually the 1.4 Astra is not bad and is nippy enough for everyday driving. It has around 90bhp and feels alot more flexible than the equivilant Focus or Golf 1.4 litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Anybody who owns an Astra or Who knows alot about them, Where does the " 7 " speaker system come into play ? I mean how is it 7... Its normal 4-6 or 8 Speakers. I am presuming the 7th is a subwoofer ? :|

Care to explain,

Hj

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Was thinking 1.4 because insurance for a 1.6 is €2700 while 1.4 is €1400...

Wow that's heavy duty :eek: My insurance on the Focus ST is much less than that.

I understand your decision fully.

• Advertisement

Anyone know, do the prices on dealer websites include VAT for new cars?

Anyone know, do the prices on dealer websites include VAT for new cars?

I would presume that dealer prices included VRT and VAT but may not include delivery related charges or metallic/pearl paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Guy beside me in work is ordering a Astra OPC (i think he called it) in the morning he was mumbling something about 0-62Mph in 6.4sec, Sounds sweet. Isn't sure if he should go for the built in phone (€800) or sequential gearbox (€1200) .... Man lifes tough when you have to make decisions like that :rolleyes:

Re VAT etc you should be able to make that out from the page you are viewing (its the kind of thing they should specify on their sites)

Opti he will be waiting a long oul time for his OPC. i know dg opel have a black one in stock but its standard with no extras

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Opel SXi is class - very tempted to get one myself - cant afford one at the mo though :D Stick with my 1.4 Opel Astra Club.

blahblah06 wrote:
    Opti he will be waiting a long oul time for his OPC. i know dg opel have a black one in stock but its standard with no extras

He'd be better off going with a stock one tbh.

The extras will fetch very little when he's selling or trading in. Having said that €1200 for a sequential 'box sounds like good value. VW are the daddies in this area I think. Reviews of their DSG unit are really good.

The OPC is very quick but reports suggest the chassis struggles, and the interior is not up to the best in class standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

i think hes mad forking out €35K + on one but anyways sorry to OP for the slight hijack, can we get back on topic :p

The OPC is very quick but reports suggest the chassis struggles, and the interior is not up to the best in class standards.

u have been watching to much top gear. also remember the astra pisses all over the golf.

With 40bhp extra it really should. Power is nothing without control and the ability to get it down on the road.

Anyhow enough of this - I don't want to get into a barney over POC vs GTI vs ST.

Its OPC HAHAHA just takin the piss

• Advertisement

Are they doing an equivelent of the VXR in this country?

Oops:eek: Must have had my rugby hat on

ronoc wrote:
    Are they doing an equivelent of the VXR in this country?

Yes, the OPC is the Opel equivilant of Vauxhall's VXR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

Toilet duck, check out the link to the thread posted below, i posted it with regards to the SXI and the Design spec differences, mainly in relation to the brakes but there is other info in the thread about the two cars and a link to the brouchure, my mam ended up getting the Design model, another thing i remember is that there is more chrome on the exterior of the design than on the SXI, along the side windows and on the front where the opel badge is, hope this is of some help......

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054853311&highlight=astra+sport+hatch

Hi ubu yes your right but the inside of the design is Cack

correct me if im wrong

Lots of interior differences.
    Design gets sight & light pack as standard.
    Different colours on dash and surround (SXi gets silver).
    Half leather, different fabric.......

Main differences are:
    The SXi sits on lowered suspension with firmer springs.
    The SXi has disc brakes all round, Design has drums at the rear.

If you're a fan of backroads, SXi is better.
    The car is only as fast as the engine you get, but they can all carry a lot of speed in the twisty bits.
    Discs at the rear made my decision for me - don't like drums.
    It's a safety thing as far as I'm concerned.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes, the OPC is the Opel equivilant of Vauxhall's VXR.

There is a version available that is a 2L turbo with 234bhp in England which is the same spec as the OPC (less bhp).

There is two 2l turbo models the VXR and a lower horse power one, we have the later and its called the OPC.

Check Regal Sport in the UK for tuning.

Its a bloody monster inside just waiting to be woke up.

Nice lap

• Advertisement

Excellent video. Good driver too. Impressed by just how flat it corners.

Here's one of the Focus ST. Nice engine note. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8719368712545334326&q=ford+focus+st

Advertisement