Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opel Astra Sport Hatch - Which Model?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

So you taking that back about the handling? HAHA

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think not. Parkers gives it 3.5 out of 5 and comments thus:-

"There is a limit to how much power can be fed through the front wheels of a car - too much and the steering wheel can tug in your hands and the front of the car start to wander. This occurs in the VXR especially when the road is wet or slippery. It isn't enough to cause a problem, but it does need you to really concentrate when driving fast particularly on bumpy roads. This unruliness is part of the VXR's appeal - if you like boisterous behaviour. To keep it smooth, you need to take it a bit easier. A set of very large brakes copes well when it comes to slowing things down and inspire confidence, and a stability control system keeps things tidy on the corners."

The Focus ST gets a full 5 out of 5 :D

"The Focus has always had very impressive handling although the previous hot Focus, the RS, was something of a handful especially on bumpy roads. The ST is not, however. The suspension has been stiffened and lowered, but it retains the confidence-inspiring, easy-to-drive-quickly attitude of its lesser relations. The ride is noticeably firmer and you'll certainly feel harsh imperfections in the road, but generally the ride remains good and it will cruise motorways as happily as it chews up alpine hairpins. An ESP stability control is deleted from the specification of the cheapest ST1 model. On the ST2 and ST3 it is a recalibrated system that intervenes only when it considers that the driver really needs it. Turn it off in search of ultimate driving thrills, and unlike some systems, it really is off."

does that not mean the same thing. u pay for the extra stabililty part and both cars are fine. ppl that test drive these do so in the most basic models.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Too complex to explain all of this. You should, I suggest read the reviews.

The OPC is I'm sure a fine car with buckets of power. The ST is just that bit better according to all the journos.

My forthcoming car is an ST1 and will not have ESP. I didn't want it tbh, and based on a test drive (in the wet) it didn't need it.

wel who am i to argue lol ill neevr afford one. ill stick to my 1,4

• Advertisement

There is that! Start with 1.4, move up to a 1.6.....a 2.5 is a new departure for me and I'm in my 40's.

Cars are a personal choice ultimately, and all the sense in the world will not change someones opinion.

My Mum for example decides in about 2 seconds, purely visually. If she says "I don't like that" it's time to give up and move on. No amount of logic will change her mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had one of the 1.4 engined ones for 3 days when opel were doing that 3 day fee driving offer.The exterior looks really good especially in black and its very solid on the road,but that was about all that was good about the car.The interior silver trim is very tacky and there is no power in that engine

Advertisement