Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The greatest ODI ever?

• 12-03-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭

I hope all you cricket fans managed to see today's 5th ODI between South Africa and Australia.

It's already been labelled the greatest ODI ever:

Highest score ever in fifty overs - first set by Aussie with 434/4 and then reached in South Africa with 438/9

The match also has the record for the most 4's and 6's in a 50 over international.

Arguably both sides had weakened bowling attacks, but that shouldn't diminish the greatness of the game.

Well done to both sides! My fingernails are all chewed away :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

And to top it all off... my DVD recorder packed up on me just as I wanted to record the last 2 hours of the game :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

theres no doubt about it, EASILY the best game of one day cricket that has ever been

i was freaked when the aussies got that total, and then Dippenaar getting bowled out earl as well, but yet again, my pick for most exciting cricketer in world cricket pulled about 175 rabbits out of the hat, Herschelle Gibbs, what a player, erratic at times, but **** me is he great to watch

as i said in another thread, even when they lose the south africans give the audience a spectacle, bloody love watching them :D

I just feel sorry for Nathan Bracken. THE outstanding bowler of the day with his 5 wicket haul and going for relatively few runs... but also probably responsible for his team's loss with Gibbs' drop catch.

As a South African and a die-hard Proteas supporter it warms my heart to finally shake off the "choker" brand that so many people have placed on our team.

As Sean Pollock said in the post-match interview... it's not likely that another game like today's one is going to happen again for a long time, if ever.

C'mon the boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

As a relatively new convert to cricket, I have to say what a bloody game that was.

What a performance by Pointing with 164, I thought that had won the match for the Aussies. But what a reply from SA especially from Gibbs with that breathtaking 175. To me it was like a Twenty20 match over 50 overs. The batters seemed to find the boundaries with ease.

I thought SA were going to throw it away after battling to get into a winning position after what seemily was a impossible target when they lost those 3 late wickets. I found myself playing ever ball with the S. Africian batters. I had never saw over 800 runs in an ODI before so I throughly enjoyed it.

Roll on the World Cup, I can't wait for it. Come on Ireland :D

I'm hoping that someone with a little commercial grey matter will release a DVD of the series... it's been an absolute cracker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Arghhhh...i forgot it was on and only caught the last ball (which was gret btw):o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

SON OF A BITCH :mad: :mad: , i am really livered, was in dublin all day doing a bloody english course. I watched the first 10 overs this morning and thought we where gonna get slaughtered, come home to my dad yacking off about the best cricket game in years :(.
    I will see a replay! Dont care if i have to stay up all nite :), not really the same fever when its not live, but this sounds like a hum dinger.
    SA under pressure = great cricket, remember the days of Klusner, the man was a well oiled machine, i was on the grass in durban when he cracked it clean over our heads and into the car park. I think our need to beat Australia is what drives us in these crunch matches :D. Anyone recall that last match in the worldcup? I think i nearly keeled over from a heart attack.

Hey EnduranceMan

No highlights tonight I'm afraid. Sky Sports is showing them at three different times tomorrow.

mikeruurds wrote:
    Hey EnduranceMan

No highlights tonight I'm afraid. Sky Sports is showing them at three different times tomorrow.

Bugger :(, was worried someone might say that, sister is glued to the tv so i couldnt check. Ill have to set reminders, tommorows activitys will have to take a back seat :D.

Oh dear, gonna have to listen to my dad replay this match all nite......
    Just got a text from a mate that was at the match, he says grown men where braking down in tears :o .
    Poor ponting :D, poor poor ponting (i love it).

• Advertisement

I'd like to hear what Shane has to say about Smiffy now...

mikeruurds wrote:
    I'd like to hear what Shane has to say about Smiffy now...

<snip> I think he used the word, "fool"....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

working today so i missed it:mad: ,must of been a cracking match

That's class :D

I admire the guy's skill... he's the best spin bowler ever, bar none. <snip>

I can hear the cries of "vetgat" already :) The crowds are not going to be kind towards him... especially if he takes wickets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

all abuse of players will have to be edited out please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

i have to say, i dont dislike Warne, i think he`s the only aussie i like, Gilchrist seems like a fairly nice bloke too, but the rest, especially that little pinheaded tosser Ponting look like a bunch of twats, way too cocky for their own good

Smiffy is the ****, the chap is a wicked captain, he took some terrible stick from their tour of australia, and mostly unjust, especially the game where he declared twice but still lost, i think some people forget how young he is, he`s still only 24, thats ****ing crazy :eek: , but great to see him lift that series cup today

up the proteas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Yep it was great stuff - more like scoring from a darts match, not quite 501 but not far off.

Either would be a decent score in stick-cricket.

Fair play to Gibbs - he's a real enigma. He'll post about half a dozen or so low scores and then post a big one. Glad I wasn't trundling in - how many boxes of balls did they get thru??

Hopefully we'll get to see something similar with Afridi this summer at clontarf - some of the boundaries are fairly tight :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

It was definitely the most exciting game of cricket I have ever seen.

I remember listening to the 12th Man CD a few years ago and Australia scored 560-3 in their 50 overs. I remember laughing for hours at this Cd. Todays game wasn't that far away!

cgf wrote:
    Hopefully we'll get to see something similar with Afridi this summer at clontarf - some of the boundaries are fairly tight :eek:

I'd say that's pretty much guaranteed. That man can make mincemeat out of almost any pace attack when he's in the zone.

Clontarf ground is so small... I bet he can't wait to get at it.

Hey Ruggie... I promise I won't call Shaney names again... he's doing a good enough job making himself look silly. He doesn't need me to help him with the digging. Mind you... you never know how much the press corp has got Shane worked up at the time he makes his statements and how much licence they use when representing his words. We'll let you decide: http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=172964&des=article&scat=supercricket/sateam and another http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?id=172647&des=article&scat=supercricket/sateam

Here's a great write-up on all the match stats and records broken courtesy of cricinfo:[/url] http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/rsavaus/content/current/story/240521.html

• Advertisement

In case you missed the action, highlights today at 12pm and 4pm on Sky Sports 1 and later at 10:30pm on Sky Sports 2.

Someone please record them for me! That's the last time I spend money on a Philips DVD recorder... only lasted 6 months!

........also Graeme's response to Shane's statements: http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Cricket/0,,2-9-839_1896974,00.html

seen the highlights,total class,might watch them again at 4

Ye, watched the highlights this evening :), really was a crazy game. Dont think you're gonna see another one like that any time soon.

i dont think so,the aussies must be sick as parrots.

south africa were 200-1 to win after the first innings

county wrote:

Hehe, could see on some of the aussie faces they where super pissed off, they dont like loosing to sa. In other news, i will be in Durban for the second test :D, lets hope i can get onto the grass.

Hehe, could see on some of the aussie faces they where super pissed off, they dont like loosing to sa. In other news, i will be in Durban for the second test :D, lets hope i can get onto the grass.

you lucky dog,bring us back a stick of rock:)

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!

has to be said, top top drawer

friend of mine was at the match (prob the only irishman there) and he said the atmosphere was just simply the best ever and as for the piss up afterwards!

also stories of grown men crying at the game and an entire nation rejoicing together in union, lovely to see

it has to be said when u get a really really good cricket game it's better than any other sport in the world in terms of drama, tension, excitement and joy

not like football where someone 'might' score a goal, in cricket when it's 10 to win off the last over with 2 wickets left, you are guarenteed a last over of epic proportions!

Yesterday was actually really depressing. It's the one thing that I miss about living in SA (ok, except for the weater of course); getting to work in the morning after a match and having someone ask you if you saw the match and experiencing the general buzz that goes along with a great victory like Sunday's.

Instead I get to work yesterday and ask everyone in the office, "Did you see the great game of cricket on Sunday?". Only to be answered with, "Cricket? Never watch it" or "Over 400 runs? Means nothing to me... am I supposed to be impressed?".

Maybe that's why I've started posting on this forum :D

county wrote:

I hope some South Africans put some money on those odds... that way the win would've been extra sweet :)

• Advertisement

mikeruurds wrote:
    I hope some South Africans put some money on those odds... that way the win would've been extra sweet :)

i believe a few people did,dont know if they were south africans,sky sports news were talking about it,lucky sods, probably a little bit crazy as well to put that bet on considering the aussies batting display.fair fcuks to them all the same:D

Advertisement