Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Millets

Options
  • 12-03-2006 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Are millets reasonably priced compared to the likes of The Great Outdoors etc? I have to buy some gear, would rather walk into a shop and there's a millets only up the road, where as TGO is in town...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't think Millet's carry brands like The North Face but they do good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I am assuming you live in tallaght or blanchardstown? Millets Leisure are part of "the outdoor group" a huge entity that domintes the UK outdoor market. Millets are great for mid ranged grear in stock, they will have reasonable selection of kit from the likes of Berghaus, Salomon and The North Face. This selection however is small and the shops are dominated by their own brands, ALS and Peter Storm.

Millets can however get you whatever you want - they have accounts with almost every brand through their multiple facias (Blacks, Just Add Water) so if theres something you need, ask them!

In terms of bargins though, not a huge deal, Millets will charge SRP so you won't save a huge deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

so i'd be best going online? any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

LundiMardi wrote:
    As well as Millets and Great Outdoors shops in Ireland I have bought stuff off http://www.winwood-outdoor.co.uk/ - seems like a small family-run firm, v. good customer service. Also Cotswold Outdoor (http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/) and http://www.field-trek.co.uk/ - no problems with any of these companies.

It depends on what you are looking for, decide what you plan to buy then shop around for the best price! The 'bricks & mortar' shops are good for trying on the gear, but can be more expensive than the online shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

LundiMardi wrote:

If you know that something fits then buying online is almost always cheaper. Do bear in mind though, that you will need to pay postage if things need returned.l

Bricks and Mortar i stress CAN (thats can and not always) offer you good advice and support should things go wrong in the way that an online retailer cannot but this is very dependant on the shop staff caring about the custoer and what they need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I use http://www.needlesports.com for most of my climbing gear. Postage can be on the steep side but if you are buying a few things it will be worth your while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

This thread is old but thought i'd continue it instead of starting another one.
    I'm in the market for a good camping tent. I'm not sure what size I want yet, alot depends on price. Where have you bought tents before? What brands do you find are top quality and durable? I have a millets, argos, and great outdoors close to me, which is the best out of these do you think? Thanks, I'd love to hear your experiences with these shops and their tents!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Whyner

This thread is old but thought i'd continue it instead of starting another one.
    I'm in the market for a good camping tent. I'm not sure what size I want yet, alot depends on price. Where have you bought tents before? What brands do you find are top quality and durable? I have a millets, argos, and great outdoors close to me, which is the best out of these do you think? Thanks, I'd love to hear your experiences with these shops and their tents!

I'm no expert but you would make it a lot easier if you specified what you're going to use it for, e.g festival camping, mountaing camping etc.......

The tent world is quite large and varied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

thanks, i am looking for a 2 man or three man tent for general use. I wouldn't use it often but i want a quality, sturdy, weather proof tent that will hopefully, last me for years. What brands of tents do the users here have and would you recommend them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Have these guys gone out of business then?

Went in to buy a Gilert Softshell jacket, that was down to €25.99, today and the shutters were down. Any idea what happens to their stock now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

i assume you mean the shop in Mary St. That's unrelated to the Millets chain. Gelert owned it. Sportsworld bought Gelert and closed the Irish shop over the weekend.

Advertisement