Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Securing a sub

Options
  • 12-03-2006 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a 12" subwoofer and amp for my car....just curious how people secure these down so they don't slide all around or are they heavy enough that they don't move?
    Any recommendations?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Umm, what exactly were you planning to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

I have a bass tube that used to float about the place (being a cylinder n all)

I got a strap at a DIY shop that had like a self fastner at the end of it (put it through 2 plastic things and it tightens up) and then just bolted it to the arch (in a safe manner)... Does the job a treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

An enclosure (pre-made or DIY) would be a fairly logical choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,983 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

As Spike said, an MDF box is usally the best bet. Very cheap and easy to make - cover it in a nice material and you're laughing - Great look for a very cheap job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

As Spike said, an MDF box is usally the best bet. Very cheap and easy to make - cover it in a nice material and you're laughing - Great look for a very cheap job.
    Sorry shoulda mentioned the sub I'm buying comes with a carpeted enclosure....but how do I stop the box from sliding around the boot when I go around corners....a strap might be an option if I can' find something to fix it to. (not too keen on drilling holes in the car tbh)

• Advertisement

It makes sense now. Depends on the size of the enclosure, but how about this sort of thing?

http://www.duckproducts.com/products/subcategory.asp?CatID=1&SubID=8

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

I'm gettin a sub for my car soon and was thinking the same thing coz i want to be able to take it out without hassle so what i came up with was:
    Get a large cardboard box (from a tv/dishwasher...) and cut it so its mangeable,
    Fit it in the boot floor and trim to shape so you have an outline of the floor.
    Then sit the sub in the boot on the card and trace around it and cut out the shape were the sub will sit.
    The cut the shape from MDF and try it for size in the boot and adjust till it fits snugly.
    Now that it fits, you can fit 2/3 pieces of 2x2 or 1x1 to the underside of the MDF to raise it from the boot floor.
    Then you can trim the mdf board in whatever you want (carpet/checkerplate/foam+leather etc).
    when its finished and u put you sub box in the boot this "false floor" holds it in place.
    This can look realy well if you put some effort into it, for example im getting all VIBE gear so im going to cut out a VIBE logo from thinner wood and stick it in place under the trim then trim the piece in black/white to have a raised logo to match the sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I use metal brackets to hold mine in place,but then again my whole boot is taken up with subs and amps so it was handier for me to pick a spot to secure them too.

Your better off securing it either ways as 1:the box tends to move around the boot and 2:a flying sub in an accident would smash your head in!

OT but what sub/amp are you going for?

Ken Shabby wrote:
    lol I take it that was a joke! :D

eireal wrote:
    OT but what sub/amp are you going for?
    I'm getting a JBL GTO 12" deal from caraudiosecurity.com, delivered and all for €225. I know it ain't the greatest but I just want something to start out, I've installed rear 6*9s and a new head unit and just want a little more bass really so from the reviews on the site it should do the job....it's a pretty good deal I think (oh and I'm on a very limited budget)
    Oh opinions on the sub/amp deal much appreciated....I know its only a 2 channel amp etc but I dont intend on upgrading my system for a good while

• Advertisement

my way works out secure. granted its a bit more work then a few brakets but it can look realy well for not alot of money and still leaves you with a usable boot or a simple way to have a set-up that can be taken in and out.

Hmm Spitfire666, excellent idea but not sure I want to go to that much trouble to be honest but yeh it would make for a class looking job! Will definately consider it but I think the strap idea is my best bet so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

how about a sh1t load of felcro on the base of the sub?

velcro wont be much good in a crash.
    I did make my idea seem a bit of hard work but its not realy.
    Tested it out in my mates car and was done in a day and looks great.
    you could always use some brackets and mount the box to the back or the seats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

My car has virtually no space for a subwoofer except under the dash above the pedals. It's not exactly a regularly-shaped space and can only hold at best an 8".

Anyone know of a place (or an individual) who can make a custom enclosure for a sub?

fletch wrote:
    lol I take it that was a joke! :D
    Absolutely not. Failing that, I've seen a new technology touted on Slashdot lately, but it's still in development. I think it's called "string".

What car you got Ernie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

What car you got Ernie?

MR2 Roadster (aka Mk III). No boot, no back seat, no room under the seats. It's under the dash or nothing.

woulnd it be better to mount in on the floor then right up against the seat as you feet will be on the pedals anyway?
    Failing that you could get one of those rectangular subs shipped in from the states. they have a very small profile and could be mounted in a glovebox even

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ernie Ball wrote:
    My car has virtually no space for a subwoofer except under the dash above the pedals. It's not exactly a regularly-shaped space and can only hold at best an 8".

Anyone know of a place (or an individual) who can make a custom enclosure for a sub?

vibrations from the dash are gonna be a bit annoying

• Advertisement

I dont think you'd be able to mount a sub in a glove box let alone under the dash.They require a certain amount of airspace to work properly hence the big enclosures for them.You may be better off just upgrading your fronts to good components and make sure tehre amp'd.

@ The Op - personally im not too keen on JBL due to there high rated power figures but then a tiny rms rating but for the price of that kit its not bad at all and should suffice your bass needs.

Id have left the 6x9's out tho,they'l just distort your mid bass and mess the sound stage especially when you put a sub in.

Amp and sub arrived last week...have all the cables run now, everythings working fine...just wondering what direction should I point the sub? Towards the back of the car or the front?
    Oh and I've secured the sub using a rachet strap attached to the hinge of the base of the back seats....would have liked to have made the floating floor but the amp and sub already add a considerable amount of weight to the car, which is already slow enough as it is!

fletch wrote:
    just wondering what direction should I point the sub? Towards the back of the car or the front?
    !

Is it a saloon hatchback or coupe?With a saloon or coupe you'l get the best response by facing outwards out towards the boot,facing inwards gives the sub a larger area to fill and doesnt sound as good.

If its a hatch face it on its back so its pointing upwards,thats where ive found best results,facing into the car also works better this way as opposed to facing out of the rear on a hatchback.

eireal wrote:
    Is it a saloon hatchback or coupe?With a saloon or coupe you'l get the best response by facing outwards out towards the boot,facing inwards gives the sub a larger area to fill and doesnt sound as good.

If its a hatch face it on its back so its pointing upwards,thats where ive found best results,facing into the car also works better this way as opposed to facing out of the rear on a hatchback.
    It's a hatchback....Hmm mite try it facing upwards...thanks for the advice

Advertisement