Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat on heat?

Options
  • 12-03-2006 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

does anyone know what the symptoms of a cat on heat are? my cat is about six months old and for the last few days she has been whining constantly. an tips or advice? thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I believe the phrase is "in heat". </pedantic>

Has the cat been neutered?

A cat's cycle is 1 week every 3 or thereabouts as far as i know...

Tip? Get it neutered.
    Or http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node_id=737861 :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

im looking for advice not smart answers. the reason i have only "suddenly" noticed her whining is because she has only just started in the last few days. any constructive advice would be welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

The answer(s) wasn't intended as "smart".
    Neutering is the way to go IMHO. For this reason & to prevent unwanted kittens.
    There isn't a whole lot that one can do about it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

(/me <- LOTS of experience of cats in heat, 6 years of house cats ;) )

Sounds like shes in heat, it gets worse each time, and Iv had cats that have been in heat for over a week! (amazing).

If your cat is an outdoor cat, you MUST get him or her neutered asap!

If its an indoor-only cat then you have a choice, personally I recommend still getting her neutered. Its less stress and frustration for kitty and will make *your* life a lot easier too. A cat in heat is horrible to watch, its like watching somone stick hot needles in the animal. And it only gets WORSE after the first heat, believe me!

Neutering is cheap quick and easy, if you *cant* afford it, or are on a social welfare payment, the Blue Cross will arrange it free or they will pay a portion of the cost.

It will make the kitty live longer and make you less homicidal every month. ;)

In the meantime, just make sure she has plenty of access to food and water, they need as much as they can get at this time as it takes a lot outa them. The odd tin of tuna dosent hurt too. (Seemed to have a miraculous effect on one of ours inparticular).

Remember, a cat going thru this will take ANY AND EVERY oppertunity to escape during this time, we had to block our chimney once!
    They can be VERY inventive, so confine kitty to the living room!
    (until neutered obviously).

b

[edit] Oh and if you do get her neutered, make sure its sooner rather than later, if its too close to her next heat, she may still have to go thru it (being in heat even though neutered) one more time again otherwise.[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Deffo sounds like she is in heat - my 16 week old baby went into heat recently & was neutured with no problems.

Another sign is when you touch her back does she crouch down with her tail to the side?? My baby Jasmin was doing that & was trying to get all my cats & dogs to mate with her - its not fun & its very noisy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭apprentice

thanks a million. appreciate the advice. bringing her to vet on wed. thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

How long is the recovery time after being neutered? I think our kitten is 4-5 months old, not sure as she was a stray that arrived over christmas and has stayed. How much does it cost (approx).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Costs around 45 - 60 depending on age & size, recovery is normaly within a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Apprentice,
    How did she get on? :)

Deisemum, some vets will do it cheaper if you let them know you have taken her in as a stray.
    If you still cannot afford it, phone the Blue Cross or the Cat Protection Society for details, but only if you truly need to financially. The subsidised service is stretched as it is.

b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

deisemum wrote:
    How long is the recovery time after being neutered? I think our kitten is 4-5 months old, not sure as she was a stray that arrived over christmas and has stayed. How much does it cost (approx).

€40 to €60. She'll have to wear a buster collar for 10 to 14 days until she has her stitches removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Our cat didn't need a collar but I think its a good idea to have one all the same!
    The poor thing went into heat at 4 months old, ,

Our new kitten is 6 months now and tried to seduce her twin brother!!
    Luckily he didn't know what to do, but she'll be getting fixed pronto.

She was crying all the time and rubbing off everything!
    We didn't know what was wrong til she presented to the boy kitten!

Advertisement