Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microphone preamp

Options
  • 12-03-2006 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

I recently bought a Shure PG58 mic. I don't know much about recording so I was a bit miffed to find out I couldn't just plug it into my computers soundcard as the signal is far to weak on it's own. So I'm gonna need a preamp or mixer to get the signal strong enough to be useful?
    Is there anything else I could use as a 'makeshift' pre-amp, like an effects pedal or stereo or something?

EDIT : just realised I posted this in the wrong section - sorry. Those with the power, feel free to move to the right area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Don't bother with a makeshift anything, get a little UB series behringer mixer for about 50 quid, grand for small jobs, nice quiet preamps too from what i hear. I use a yamaha MG 10/2 which I find excellent

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I bought this mic a few weeks ago - you don't need any preamp.. and it plugs directly into the usb port of your pc/laptop. Its sounds fine.

http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=1810&brandID=2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Passenger wrote:
    Might wanna start a new thread, your question mightnt be noticed in this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

A dedicated preamp will give you a nice sound or as someone above said just run the mic through a mixer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

hey boss,

regarding the samson, can you just plug it into usb port and record on to your pc?

some other questions:

1.is it powered through the usb?
    2.can you plug a guitar into it or how would you avoid background noise?

thanks!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

regarding the samson, can you just plug it into usb port and record on to your pc?

Yes - it should show up as a usb audio device on windows and your audio program
    some other questions:

1.is it powered through the usb?
    2.can you plug a guitar into it or how would you avoid background noise?
    1. Yes
    2. No. If it's an acoustic just record in a quiet room, point the mic at the 12th fret and adjust to taste. If it's an electric mic the amp, but don't crank it all the way up - condensors don't like very high spls - dynamics are more forgiving for these applications.

Advertisement