Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

L driver insurance and cars

Options
  • 12-03-2006 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone! First time I'v ever posted here! Need some advice really. I would like to know what is the cheapest car to get insured with and who gives the best insursance to L drivers? I hope to get my provisional licence inside the next few months! Would like to spent no more than about €500ish on a second hand car and would have to pay the insurance in monthly installments for a while!

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The cheapest car to insure will be a small engined car (sub 1L).
    Try quinn and xsdirect as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Insurance is based on engine size, so you'd be looking for a 1L 998cc car, so say a Nissan Micra, Opel Corse, Ford Fiesta, VW Polo, Suzuki Swift, and I'm sure there are a few others too.

The cheapest quotes I have got have been from: Year 1: Quinn Direct, Year 2: Tesco and I'm on my third policy now and Brittoninsurance.com were the cheapest. You may have trouble getting insured if you're still on a provisional, Quinn Direct should sort you though. I advise you to book your full test as soon as you can, get some practice in, have lessons, read the rules of the road and read topics here discussing laws etc, you learn quite a lot in this forum. If you're going to be waiting a long time for your full test, you should do the provisional ignition test, it will enable you to get cheaper insurance with Tesco/Britton insurance, then when you get your full license, do the Full Ignition test, once you pass that you can't do much else to get cheaper insurance besides get older, build up your NCB, and perhaps move to a lower risk area:rolleyes:

For €500 you should get a car about 91/92, make sure it's passed the NCT and hasn't any major problems. I'd advise you to get your insurance and all that sorted before you get lessons so you can practice in between lessons, it's much better that way and will cost you less in the long run. Ask your instructer as many questions as you can think of too:) Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

what kind of 91/92 would we be talking about? I cant even drive at all yet! I'm 21 how sad is that! Does that ignition test put any kind of restrictor on the car?

1. do some research on www.buyandsell.ie and other websites
    2. 21 and a learner is nothing to be embarrased about. Most people in ireland cannot drive!
    3. Ignition is a course whereby you are supposed to become a better and safer driver. http://hibernian.netsource.ie/insurance/ignition.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Something like this.

There is high mileage on that car, check the buyandsell (buyandsell.ie too), or keep an eye out on the FS MOTORS forum here, or on carzone.ie/cbg.ie.

Ignition wont put any restrictor on your car, it will make you drive safer which could slow you down though;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Car insurance premiums are based on many things. Things like the size engine, the type of car, the age and sex of the driver, where they live, what kind of licence the driver holds and how long they have been driving plus other factors which insurance companies fail to tell us. They also bring the risk factor into place such as what is the cost of what you hit rather than what you are driving.

Ring around a few insurance companies to an idea of what it will cost you. Insurance quotes are different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

lads thanks for the help! I will look into this hopefully tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

quinn will give you the best quote starting off and just so you know you will be around the 2k mark on insurance if not more.
    Also dont feel restricted to a sub 1L car. i was suprised by the TPFT quotes i was getting. 1L up to 1.4L were the same price. 1.5/1.6 were 500 extra.
    Get a big list of cars you could afford and give them each one and get quotes.
    I found that it wasnt the engine size but rather the value of the car that was changing my quotes. Not sure how that would relate to a car valued at under 1000 though.

forgot to add, the car must be 10 years old or less with quinn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

The cheapest will be a 1l nissan micra van, or a 1l pug 106 van or a small engined fiesta van. You'd pick up an old fiesta or micra ****box for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

One of the conditions with quinn with me was that it was a car not a car van.

• Advertisement

Con9903 wrote:
    The cheapest will be a 1l nissan micra van, or a 1l pug 106 van or a small engined fiesta van. You'd pick up an old fiesta or micra ****box for small money.
    A van will be more expensive for two reasons:-
    1. it is more likely to be used as a commercial vehicle
    2. vans give less visibility than cars as they have less windows

Advertisement