Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

will Arsenal Get the 4th ECL place

• 12-03-2006 11:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭

well we seem to be hitting form just on time

Dont woory about the spuds more worried about Blackburn and bolton

I think we will be able to do it as we are hitting form at the right moment

We have to be consistent and its no use beating the pool if we cannot beat the addicks and the likes

Lets hope we can I have faith

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tough to say. They beat fulham and liverpool play, but both teams played to Arsenals strengths.

They didnt hussle and harry them in midfield. They gave them far too much time o nthe ball and let them play. I'd still go with spurs for 4th. Arsenal still have the distraction of the CL.

Anyway, Arsenals home form has never been in question, its there away form that has been very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Anyway, Arsenals home form has never been in question, its there away form that has been very poor.

Well they've only got 4 away games left and 2 of them are against Portsmouth and Sunderland. Should really win those, ok I'd be shocked if they didn't. The other 2 are both in Manchester. Ok given Arsenal's away form this season and the fact they haven't won a league game in Old Trafford in about 4 years I don't fancy them picking up points there. The game against City I really don't know.

If they do manage to pull themselves together and become consistent enough I think they'll get fourth. Like the op said, I'm not worried about Spurs. Their form hasn't been great as of late and were lucky to beat Blackburn and be ahead of Arsenal right now. Bolton would worry me more than Spurs. No team has really made the fourth spot their own yet so it's all to play for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Personally I think 1st and 2nd are sorted. 3rd/4th is up for grabs I expect Liverpool to hold on but wouldn't be surprised to see them slip back. They hav elooked jaded recently and are finsing goals hard to come by. I can see them drawing lots of games 0-0. Arsenal could be distracted by the CL so am going for Bolton for 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

As a Spurs fan I hope the only team I see in 4th is Spurs, but Arsenal are returning to form, right on time, and Spurs aren't playing particularly well. I will be disappointed if we don't end up in 4th after spending the vast majority of the season there, but at the start of the season I would've been happy with 5th/6th as it marks definite progress over last season. Another 3 points and we've already matched our points total from last season!

It's been a rollercoaster ride though, and anything could happen in the last few games. I'm more nervous and excited about every weekend of the EPL than any time before, but I think 4th is one step too far for Spurs this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

What I'd love to see happening is

Chelsea 1st
    Man U 2nd
    Spurs 3rd
    Liverpool 4th.

Then Arsenal to win the CL and therefore demoting Liverpool to the UEFA cup :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

That would be very funny Bluetonic, but what I'd rather is Arsenal come 5th and lose Henry, thereby reducing them to a 4th place aim for a couple of years while their talent matures. and Liverpool to come 4th, with Spurs beating them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think Bolton will join Utd,Chelsea & Pool as the final 4 for CL. Arsenal still have some tricky fixtures to play...

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

Personally I'd say Arsenal will get in there alright. I could see Spurs slipping up a bit before the seasons end. They're over-achieving as it is, and it's great to see. I like Martin Jol as a manager, gets his team playing good football, and he's funny to hear being interviewed. I could see Liverpool slipping back, but I still think they'll hold on to third.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I said Spurs at the start of the season and I said Spurs a few weeks ago as well but their form has really gone down hill whereas Arsenal have picked up their form alot as of late. If Spurs can get back their form of earlier in the season I think they can still do it as Arsenal may become preoccupied with the Champions League.

Bolton though can definitely still do it. If they win their games in hand they will move into the 4th spot and they have been playing very well lately. BEst they have played all season was against West Ham this weekend and things are looking good for them. I dont think Blackburn will be able to do it.

So for me its down to three teams, Spurs, Arsenal and Bolton and tbh its too close to pick :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

I believe the key fixture in all this is: Arsenal v Tottenham, which i think is in late April. Over the last few weeks Liverpool havent been able to score the goals, and I can now see them being dragged down into the fight for 3rd and 4th place.

I think it will be
    Chelsea
    Man Utd
    Arsenal
    Liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Looking at the fixtures Bloton have the "easiest" games left and could well take 4th spot.
    Think Liverpool have too much to throw away 3rd.
    Arsenal have 3 tricky games
    Away to MU, Home to Spurs and Home to Wigan
    last game of the season and last ever game at Highbury :(
    Spurs have Arsenal Away, Home to MU, Home to Bolton and Newcastle Away.
    Wigan only really have Newcastle Away.
    Could go down to the wire for 4th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Arsenal and Spurs ahve some difficult games there. With the form Bolton are in I wouldn't be suprised if they get 4th place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Bolton still have to play Man Utd at home, Chelsea at home, and Spurs Newcastle, and Liverpool away.

Spurs, have to play Arsenal, West Ham and Newcastle away, Man Utd at home, and a cruncher at home to Bolton.

Arsenal still have to play Man Utd, Man City away, and then Spurs at home.

So to say Bolton have easier games, I'd have to disagree with that. I hope we have hit form at the right point, along with the comebacks of many of our players just around the corner (Cole, vanPersie, Campbell).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

i wuldnt rule out blackburns chances of nicking 4th just yet. their three most difficult games are all at home...

Chelsea, Liverpool and Wigan, with the rest of the games against lower table opposition, they have as good a chance as anyone at nicking it and a very good chance at beating either of the 3 teams mentioned whilst at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

If Arsenal can keep playing the way the they have done against Fulham, Madrid and then Liverpool yesterday than they could still get beyond 4th. They really looked like getting back to their best. But then again, they have been inconsistent all season. I might be wrong on this, but did they follow up their 7-0 win over Boro with a defeat?
    Earlier in the year I was backing Spurs, but I think the two teams are hitting contrasting forms and my mind is being changed to Arsenal. I think the only other teams in the frame are Bolton and Blackburn, Bolton more so because of their two games in hand. But I would predict Spurs and Arsenal to be the final two in contention when it comes down to the last couple of games in the season.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I'm a lot more confident now than I was before the Liverpool game, Arsenal seem to be getting into some semblance of form, and have Campbell, Van Persie and Cole all coming back very soon. Arsenal haven't been putting their chances away enough recently but hopefully Van Persie will change that as he is generally very clinical.

Bolton and Spurs have a much more difficult run-in than Arsenal and Blackburn. League form-wise they are all pretty even.

What would people think are the odds for finishing 4th then?
    Spurs
    Arsenal
    Bolton
    Blackburn
    West Ham
    Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Spurs - evens
    Arsenal - 5/4
    Bolton - 13/8
    Blackburn - 12/5
    West Ham - 8/1
    Liverpool - 10/1 - cause they'll finish 3rd, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i have no idea.
    im hoping it will be spurs.
    im thinking it will be arsenal or bolton tbh.

but the fact that we are up there, and we are stil lup there even though we havent been playing very well tells a great deal.
    we have lost a couple of games i nthe last minute and we have drawn a couple of games in the last minute. if we continue to grow as a side as we have done this year, then next year, yes, i think we will definately be in at least 4th spot.
    we are no longer playing pretty football, but also playing effective football. but getting that second killer goal, and stop letting the oppo score in the last minute, and i will be happy :)

but spurs for 4th this seaso. i dont think so. id love to see it, but i think it will be arsenal or bolton. but who knows. its bloody exciting though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

If Arsenal can work on the victory they got at Liverpool then there is a possibility that they will get the fourth place, but I wont be putting my money on them doing it. They have been too inconsistent this year - at the present moment in time Bolton look the better bet for the fourth position.

• Advertisement

To finish 4th current William Hill odds are
    Spurs 6/5
    Arsenal 7/4
    Bolton 5/1
    Blackburn 12/1
    West Ham 14/1
    Liverpool 16/1

Is it just me or are the odds on Bolton way too high?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Bolton are a good bet at those odds. If they win their two games in hand they will go two pts clear of spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Tbh, as a Spurs fan, im beginning to get a bit sceptical of us finishing 4th. If Arsenal do get fourth, ill be hoping for fifth and (God Forbid!) hoping that Arsenal win the Champions League, because that would mean we get the spot - but only if we finish in fifth.

But seriously, lets hope Spurs stay 4th for the rest of the season, coz i dont want to follow Arsenal. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

No it wouldn't.
    England get 4 CL spots, full stop.
    The top 4 teams in the prem get them.
    However, if the team that wins the CL is outside the top 4 teams, the 4th place team loses their spot, and the winners get it.

Advertisement