Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to use Internet sharing over 2 PCs. Any manual way?

• 13-03-2006 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi you Guys,

Hope you can help me on this one. It's been bugging me for sometime and I've been trying hard to resolve it. Ok, here we go.

I have ISDN dial-up on my PC and it's works fine. My father got a PC there last year. I got a simple crossover cable that connects to his PC. I wanted to share both PC resources and my ISDN connection. Now, we can share files fine both ways and can use vncserver and vncviewer for various purposes, ie he might vncview to my screen to dial up or disconnect from the net. Problem is, that while the network works flawlessly - the Internet is never shared across from my PC to his even after running the network setup wizard . I'm at my wits end over this one.

I ran that MS network setup wizard on my PC (xp pro sp2) indicating that my PC connected directly to the net and choose the correct dialup to share. I choose to turn on file sharing and completed the wizard.

On my father's PC (xp home sp2) I did the same thing, except indicated that his PC connected through another PC (ie mine) and choose to turn on file sharing and completed the wizard. Nothing out of the ordinary done here. I took the default workgroup on both as mshome.

Afterwards, We can ping/connect to each of our PCs and share files no bother - but when I connect to the Net afterwards - ICS doesn't work on his PC. It used to work but anything recently it seems to lose any time a PC is shutdown or rebooted. The sharing works fine afterwards just ICS doesn't

My IP is configured as 192.168.0.1 and his is assigned automatically (ie 192.168.0.23).

Done this umpteen times (sometimes worked - when I disabled and re-enabled the network on his side or my side). The cable is fine. File sharing always works.

What on earth can be causing this? Both systems are clean with AVG updated/Spybot and MS's Spyware scan. There are no special program rules on either standard firewall. I tried turning it off on my father's PC but the firewall comes back on after a reboot - but it didn't caused any problems before so I think the firewall isn't the issue?

Is there any sure fire ICS guide that I follow? like a ipconfig /release all

I would really like if I could do this manually and leave it be! The MS network doesn't show anything going on when it runs in that wizard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

When it's not working, try doing an ipconfig on his PC, if the default gateway is blank or incorrect then it's probably not getting DHCP'ed properly... this has happened a lot on my own rigs here, more often than not it's the firewall screwing with the dhcp, so you've got to setup a trusted rule for anything on 192.168.0.0

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

ICS is nice when it works, otherwise it's painful.

analogx do a very light proxy server, setup on one machine and point the other at it.

squidnt is caching proxy server, might speed up things on dialup ( do a search in case I posted configs before )

google iprouterenable - it's more reliable than ICS.
    In NT4 workstation it's a tick box in network properties so it's been a round a long time , but it's been relagated to a registry setting in most other versions because you are supposed to buy a server and install the optional RRAS component on it. Haven't tried / won't try ME. I've setup 98 as a router this way. In windows 95 the setting gives a blue screen if you have two NIC's in the system and I didn't try swapping dll's or do much troubleshooting on it.

Unlike ICS you don't get DHCP so use static IP addresses or use ICS for the DHCP address or get a DHCP server app ( If I find the link I'll post one that runs on windows 95 or better, runs off text file and will beat a windows server on the same LAN when it comes to handing a address to a client first )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll try those this weekend. I did a bit of looking around for other forums on this and practicallynetworked looks good. (on the left of the screen anyway.. damn advertising. :)

http://practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Shamrogue

Hi,

Ensure you have the DNS entries set up on your dads machine.
    For eircom they are 213.94.190.235 and 213.94.190.195

It maybe he is getting out but his urls are not been looked up in a DNS server.

Shammy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks Shamrogue - I'll try that too. Long weekend and time to do so. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement