Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Necessities for editing on a laptop...

• 13-03-2006 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

I'm making a short film in April which I had hoped to edit on my own Dell Laptop. I already have Adobe Pro on my computer so I'm set up software wise but the real question is what technical elements of my computer should I be bolstering so that I'll be able to edit together a 10 minute film without major slowdown/crashes?
    Is it RAM? And if so, how can I go about buying additional ram and how much will it cost?
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

What is the current spec? I edit with Premiere with a relatively low amount of ram (256mb) and have never had a problem. Just make sure you have enough drive space and make sure you save often. In my experience even the most pimped out computer will crash inexplicably when you're editing video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

Well;

A) what are you shooting on?

B) how do you want to finish on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Agentembryo@hot

Lodgepole wrote:
    What is the current spec? I edit with Premiere with a relatively low amount of ram (256mb) and have never had a problem. Just make sure you have enough drive space and make sure you save often. In my experience even the most pimped out computer will crash inexplicably when you're editing video.

Yeah, I have 256mb already and plenty of drive space. Cool.
    Your post cheered me up.
    A) what are you shooting on?

B) how do you want to finish on?

Sony Z1 though I'm not using the high definition capacity.
    I'll be burning it onto DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 smack_monkey

This might be a silly question, but do you have a way of digitising the footage onto your laptop, i.e. does it have a Firewire port? A capture card might also suffice but I've only ever used Firewire so someone else would have to confirm that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You might get more hits over on the Audio Visual Editing board.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Lump wrote:
    You might get more hits over on the Audio Visual Editing board.

John
    I agree. Moved to AV Editing.

Having firewire would be a benefit, plenty of RAM if you can get it installed, don't know how much you can upgrade the lappy you have. Defraging your harddrive will help too, try have a seperate drive for the digitising, a firewire one, if it's not possible to have a second one, which won't be since it's a laptop!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think you'll really need another stick of ram in there.

I find even Windows XP doesn't run that great on 256mb.

Get between 512mb and 1gig if you can. Ram is pretty cheap, so it shouldn't break the bank.

As Lump said, firewire is very handy. If you don't have it already on your laptop you can get PCMCIA cards that will do the job for you.

XP actually uses almost 256megs just to run!

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

I think you'll really need another stick of ram in there.

I find even Windows XP doesn't run that great on 256mb.
    I've cut pieces that are an hour long with an XP box and 256mb RAM. More Ram would certainly speed up a few things, possibly prevent the odd crash, but the machine does the job perfectly.

I'd recomend setting up a new user within XP with no extra processes running. When I cut I have a seperate user account with literally nothing but Premiere, Photoshop and occasionally After Effects running. I disconnect the internet to remove any need for virus protection. And that's with 256mb. I can quite happily open an audio editor on top of that without much of a lag.

• Advertisement
Advertisement