Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mice!! :-(

Options
  • 13-03-2006 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

All

I'm living down in the Grove and just to let you know I had the pleasure of some small visitors in my sittingroom on Friday afternoon. (Those of you within a 500m radius may have heard my screams!!!!) I set some traps (containing Mars bar of all things, seemingly mice+cheese=urban legend, its the chocolate that they love!!) and have caught 2 already.

I've now invested in one of those ultrasound pulse things that you leave plugged in that upsets mice and stops them settling, and the traps have been empty since then so it seems to be doing the trick.

But just as a warning to you all - seemingly the cold/wet weather at the moment combined with all the constructional disturbance in the Charlesland area will drive field mice into the houses and wall cavities, so well worth in investing in the ultrasound device.

Though it could worse, a guy in the hardware shop told me that:
    A: if you have mice then you definately dont have rats, they never inhabit the same place. :confused:
    B: Delgany Wood is plagued with rats cos of the land its built on, so it could be worse!! :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

where did u get the ultrasound device and how much was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

I got mine down in the hardware shop beside the Fr Ted cinema down by the Shell garage in Greystones and it was €44.95. Its called the Pestclear 2000. But I do know you can get them in B&Q, Woodies etc where the price again can range from €10 up to €60.

More info on the one I got here: http://www.brighterimage.ie/products.asp?CategoryID=1

The one I got covers a whole house up to 2,000 sq ft and works by sending an ultra-sonic pulse through the neutral wire to the fusebox then through all the wiring in the house that disrupts vermin and stops them nesting. You have to leave it plugged in forever.

Another customer in the shop did mention something about the ultra-sound pulse that the device emits CAN sometimes be heard by/affect pre-adolescent teenage girls (something to do with hormones - he said he'd fit them in a house in the Burnaby and had to take them all back out again because of this.) But I dont know if he was being serious or just winding me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

cool thanks...
    moving in next week up in the crescent and i might get one "just to be safe!"

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Manny7

We had mice in the Wood a couple of months ago - luckily we also have 3 cats so they sorted that problem out, haven't seen any since then. Just a thought

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

Don't talk to me about mice, reckon we must have cought 4/5 of them when we moved in, but they were still nesting in the attic. As there was still construction going on I got Durkans to pay for Rentokill. He put loads of poison over the house, but we can still hear them sometimes in the attic.

Oh yeah he told me those sonar devices arent worth a damn, we had 3 of them in the house (120 quids worth).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Hhhmmmn thats not good news :( . The only thing is that the guy in the shop told me that once the mice are nested then the ultrasound isnt as effective as theyre already there and will stay to protect the babies. But it does deter any more from ever settling down so once you catch all the original "Family" then it should be okay. Plus as theres little/no wiring in the attic the sonic pulse might not reach up there which might have some bearing?

Either way I have to put my faith in the device given the number of friends I have who have already used them successfully/recommended them, and just hope the guy from Rentokill said they dont work as it potentially puts pest controllers like them out of business......

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

i moved into the grove just before christmas and managed to catch 6 by chrstmas, we got a ultrasonic gadget and have not seen any since.
    We used peanut butter in the traps, which was very effective. I still leave them set just incase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ccfcexile

got me a little white cat you might have seen him hiding under some of your cars in the grove and ive never had trouble with any mice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Angel

ccfcexile wrote:
    got me a little white cat you might have seen him hiding under some of your cars in the grove and ive never had trouble with any mice

I was just thinking that, this is the excuse I've been looking for to get a cat! Although somehow, I think herself would rather have the mice..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 the rejects

i live in charlesland park, i have mice in my kitchen... the are hard lil buggers to get rid of.

I perchased the ultrasonic plug in thing 'pestX' is the brand.,and i have been in contact with this company as my reserch of ultrasonic and magnetic waves to control mice is rediculous. All articles i had read have advised that mice get used to noises quickly therefore they are NOT effective, and i can vouge for that. My lil unwanted pets run by the bloody thing .. everynight, and thye dont look like they are in pain.

Im nearly ready to leave as it is driving me nuts, not being able to get rid of them. The dont set off the traps, they dont naw the wood, we dont hear them, we just see the f'in things... WHY CANT WE KILL THEM AAAArrrrhhh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Johnc72

I found that they took the bait bu didn't set off the traps. What I did and it works perfectly is with the traps bend the little brcket back marginally so that when you set the trap the slightest touch will set it off (Watch your fingers though). Used Mars bar with a bit of peanut butter, and you'll soon get rid of them.

Advertisement