Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommendations....

• 13-03-2006 12:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks! I'm booking a holiday for August time, and I'm looking for ideas.
    I haven't dived in well over two years now, but I trained up as a Padi Dive Master in Australia when I was over there, so I'm rusty, but not a novice.

I'm looking for a good place to go on my holidays where I can get some good diving done. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Red Sea is cracking diving. Did a liveaboard over there a couple of years ago and it was a rgeat week.

A liveaboard wouldn't really be suitable for a family holiday though.

I also dived in lanzartoe and it was definately 'meh'. I wouldn't bother bringing my dive gear if i was going back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i was in hurghada in eygpt in jan this year and the diving was amazing. didnt do the liveabroad. just went on day trips everyday. cost me 194 euro for 5 days diving (10dives + night dive) cost of food and unlimited drinks on the boat was 5euro a day. book in advance works out well cheaper. not very much in the whole hurghada area (just hotels / bars / restaurant) its bout 6hrs from ciaro and all the pyramids and stuff. no flights direct to hurghada we went via gatwick. dived with a crowd called emperor divers operating out of the hilton hotel. excellents boats. if i was going back to eygpt id do a week on a liveaboard and then a couple of days doing ciaro and the pyramids etc

going to lanzarote in april (go every year). i like the diving there, relaxed atmosphere, cheap and plenty of other stuff to do. dive with a operation called safari diving in puerto del carmen. the centre is on a little alcove beach , there is a nice wreck park which is a short boat ride away.

fuerteventura diving is similar to lanzarote. ive dived in correlego and calete de fusta. correlego is nice developed area, good diving. calete de fuste doesnt really have that much there but the dive centre is really well run.

sardinia was nice diving too loadsa cave diving but very expensive all round.

u might not think it but ibiza has some really nice diving as well there is around 2000 dive sites around the coast. i only did 2 days diving when i was there. good if u wanna go for a clubbing holiday too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Thanks for a cracking post Rick. I was semi thinking about Egypt alright. I'm single so there's no worries about the live aboard, but I'd be looking to do the whole night life gig. What are the live aboards like? Is there much craic in the night? (ie is there any? ...suppose it all depends on the group...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

in hurghada there is loadsa nightlife. good few nightclubs and bars. from what people told me over there bout the liveaboards is that they are great, but it really depends on the boat ur on. if its a piece of sh1t then it could be a dodge experience. check out www.emperordivers.com. i highly recommend this crowd. top notch from a safety and organisational point of view.

pm me ur email address and ill send u photos from my red sea excursion in january

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭Moanin

Dived with Emperor Divers in Huurghada a couple of years ago.Top Class outfit!.iving is out of this world.Its like jumping into an aquarium!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Greece has just passed a law opening up a lot of water that was previously forbidden for diving - a lot of interesting virgin wreck diving.

'A merchant marine ministry draft bill lifting restrictions on recreational scuba-diving was passed in principle by both main parties on Wednesday, during discussion in a parliamentary committee.

MPs stressed that the new laws would help make Greece one of the most popular worldwide destinations for scuba-diving holidays and bring in significant revenue.

The Communist Party of Greece (KKE) and the Coalition of the Left, Movements and Ecology party expressed reservations about whether the new laws adequately protected submerged archaeological remains, however.

In past years, recreational diving was strictly restricted in Greece in order to deter antiquities smugglers, with diving only permitted in specific, closely-watched locations.

Merchant Marine Minister Manolis Kefaloyiannis stressed that all measures in the bill were fully harmonised with Community law and aimed to allow full exploitation of the favourable weather conditions prevailing in Greece for the greater part of the year, as well as its natural, historic and cultural attractions, to draw the recreational diving sector.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

That's good news Tazz T. I'm heading to Cyprus for a week in September (a wedding) but I might make it two weeks and do some diving and climbing.

Advertisement