Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Crash Queries

Options
  • 13-03-2006 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

I've been fortunate enough not to have been in any accidents or crashes so far in my driving career, but not tempting fate, what is the norm if it EVER happened..?

Scenario #1: You are hit by a car from behind. Their fault.
    Questions: Unless there is an injury, I'm guessing swap insurance details and call the gardai?

Scenario #2: You hit a car from behind. Your fault. I remember reading in my insurance policy that you never admit liability. Obviously swap details & call gardai?

Would like to hear peoples own views & experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I was rear-ended on the Naas road a few years ago. I was stopped at the lights at Kill. My car was shunted into the car in front. I called the Gardai, who instructed me NOT to move any cars. As we were waiting the Girl in the car I hit decided her car was okay and she headed off. The Gardai arrived, and were not at all impressed that she had left.

So,

A few months later, my wife was rear ended one morning, during rush hour, at the lights at Kill, Dublin bound. She was very upset and called me. I told her not to move the car, and to call the Gardai, as thats what I was told to do previously. So, I arrived at the scene before the Gardai, but when they arrived they were very abusive to me and my wife for holding up traffic, and for wasting their time on an accident that didn't result in any injuries.....

So, based on personal experience of two accidents, and to answer your question, I have no idea what is considered correct procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Buy a disposable camera, and keep it in the glove box. If you are involved in an accident, take lots of pictures. Include road markings, traffic lights, etc, so as to make clear exactly where all involved cars are positioned. Try to include drivers in your pics, too. If there are no injuries, you can then move the cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭40YardScreamer

Anan1 wrote:
    Buy a disposable camera, and keep it in the glove box. If you are involved in an accident, take lots of pictures. Include road markings, traffic lights, etc, so as to make clear exactly where all involved cars are positioned. Try to include drivers in your pics, too. If there are no injuries, you can then move the cars.
    I was told before that pi9cs are useless. It may help giving the gardai a clear picture of the accident but cant be used in court or anything to strengthen your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

What about the camera on your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I was told before that pi9cs are useless. It may help giving the gardai a clear picture of the accident but cant be used in court or anything to strengthen your case.

Why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭mmenarry

I do the accidnet/driving awareness training for about 40 guys at work (they are mobile technicians), so I can give the condensed version!

1. In any accident, if there are no injuries to anyone, the gardai shoudl not be called. It's a purely civil matter.

2. If there are any injuries, the guards must be called.

3. If there is any damage ccuased, you must swap details. This includes "non-vehicle" damage (e.g. if you crashed into a wall and tossed it). If the woner of anyother damage cannot be found, you should report the accident to the gardai within 24 hours.

4. Never admit liability in any case, just say "we'll let the insurance companies sort it out". That's what you pay your premiums for.

5. A common question I get asked is "What if I think the other person is a bit dodgy (e.g. no tax or NCT on the other car) and I want the gardai to come anyway?" - Sore necks are very common in accidents (big wink)

M.

Advertisement