Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would VB allow me to do this?

Options
  • 13-03-2006 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I want to write an app which will allow a user to perform the same functions as a particular website from the comfort of a little VB app on his desktop...

It's for a recruitment website. Currently this website can -

Post a job
    Edit a job
    View active, expired and deleted jobs
    Clone a job
    See how many views and applications a job has
    See who has applied for each job (cover letter and CV)
    Add auto-responders
    Edit profile

It is all stored in a MySQL database running on Linux. The logging in/out is controlled via the PHPBB login system (session/cookie based.)

To save employers time, I want a nice VB app which will sit on their desktop allowing them to perform any of the above tasks without logging in (maybe their username/password is saved in the app, or something like that.)

Anyway, would VB be a good choice for an app like this?
    Can you recommend a book which would explain how to do the above?

I'm new to Windows programming...

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

dublindude wrote:
    I want to write an app which will allow a user to perform the same functions as a particular website from the comfort of a little VB app on his desktop...

It's for a recruitment website.
    On a technical level, the answer is yes. You’re proposing what is called a thick client (as opposed to the thin client of a Web interface). Of course, what you need to ask is why is a thick client better than a thin one? This is probably a more permanent question to whether it can be done - whether it should be done. After all, there’s no point in reinventing the wheel.
    Anyway, would VB be a good choice for an app like this?
    Can you recommend a book which would explain how to do the above?

I'm new to Windows programming...
    VB would be a good choice for such an application as it is relatively easy to develop such an application in it. Bare in mind that there are licensing issues with Microsoft if you use VB.

Having said this, such an application - especially if you intend to sell it commercially - needs to be of a certain quality. If you sell (or even give away as part of an existing service) a buggy application, developed by someone who has little or no experience in the language, you’re going to open up a whole world of pain for yourself. As Steve Jobs once put it, “software development is like sex, one mistake and you’re supporting it for the rest of your life”.

In short, if you’re new to Windows programming, farm the development out. Don’t attempt to do it yourself if it is a commercial application.

Advertisement