Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Car Suggestion please

Options
  • 13-03-2006 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭

Hi All.

I know that this thread has been done a million times before, so apologies!

I have to go buy my first car in the next month. I'm moving jobs and losing the company vehicle.

Been driving for the last 6 years (Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano II/Mitsubishi Pajero) and now have to venture out and buy my first car.

My problem is two fold. I haven't a notion about cars and haven't a clue exactly what I want.

I'll have about 15k-20k to spend. Want second hand (am too mean to pay VRT) and want something sensible :rolleyes:

Been looking a few cars like Ford Focus, Opel Astra/Vectra, Nissan Primera and even Minis.

Anyone got any advice or good experience with their own cars.

Everytime i mention a car to my mates, they seem to have a horror story to relate to me!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

mick_irl wrote:
    Everytime i mention a car to my mates, they seem to have a horror story to relate to me!

This is a big problem when talking about cars.
    Every car has someone, somewhere willing to whine about it.

Anyway,

What kind of driving will you be doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

toyote avensis strata range, is just an amazing reliable car, very nice exterior too, you'd pay around 18k for a 04, you'd never need another car again! go through a toyota dealer and you should get a 3 year warranty for an 04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

peugeot 307, they come with loads of gadgets, climate control, auto lights, auto wipers, self dipping rear view mirror,

feels very roomy inside, but not too big and heavy, so the 1.6 diesel engine is well able to move it, and it cheap to tax and very light on fuel

has some handy things like the electric windows still close with the key out, switches for the windeos have an up/down position, and an all the way up/down position

brother has one that has 130k miles on it, and only problem is the indicators tend to turn off by themselves

a 2004 1.6 HDI will cost about 18k-20k
    a 2003 only has the 2.0 HDI, costs about 14k-16k

http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/gallery/?img=0&model_id=669&category=Interior%20detail

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Have a read of these 2 sites...you'll get an idea of the reviews of each car

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/

What do you like? Anything specific caught your eye?

You can't go wrong with Toyota/Honda/Mazda for reliability.

You could pick up a late 2003/early 2004 Mazda 6 for less than €20k from a main dealer.

You want petrol or diesel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

prospect wrote:
    What kind of driving will you be doing?

To/from work. Not a long commute around the Dublin area.

The odd trip down the country once/twice a weekend.

Nothing major.

Lex Luthor wrote:
    What do you like? Anything specific caught your eye?

I like the saloon versions of cars as opposed to hatchbacks, but that is just on the look of the exterior of the car.

Is there much of a difference in a diesel vs a petrol car?
    The price of both feuls are around the same these days.

• Advertisement

petrol 15-35mpg unless you buy a yaris

diesel 40-60mpg even in a bora

the allimiun common rail in diesels means that fuel can be injected in to a cylinder upto 60 seperate intervals per revolution, this has totally elimated their reputation as heavy smokey engines

mukki wrote:
    petrol 15-35mpg unless you buy a yaris

diesel 40-60mpg even in a bora

the allimiun common rail in diesels means that fuel can be injected in to a cylinder upto 60 seperate intervals per revolution, this has totally elimated their reputation as heavy smokey engines

So well worth getting a diesel then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

Toyota Yaris diesel 67 mpg but I doubt there are any second-hand.

well my 1.6 hdi is much stronger then the 1.4 petrol, and much lighter on fuel,i can do well over 700mils on one fill and that only costs about €55 atm

diesel engines last longer, keep an eye out for old 90-95 reg cars on the road bet that are mostly diesels

but its totally up to you, the power doesn't increase with engine speed, so you might not like that.

Cool - thanks for all the help so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭maidhc

mukki wrote:
    diesel engines last longer, keep an eye out for old 90-95 reg cars on the road bet that are mostly diesels

I would add one small caveat; none of the ~95 diesels on the road are common rail types while most new diesels being sold are. The durability of newer diesels tio 200k miles is largely unproven.

I love diesels, and have always driven them, but the newer ones are much more complicated and have much lower tolerances to things like dirty diesel than the old ones. The upshot of this is unbelieveable power and refinement.

Unfortuately there is no golden rule about reliability (although avoiding anything from france and italy is often recommended). Personally I dont think toyotas are what they used to be.

if you can stretch your budget, the Corolla 1.4 D-4-D is about 22.5k new.
    You might find a few 05 platers in the Toyota dealerships for a couple grand cheaper. Should easily get 60mpg

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lex Luthor wrote:
    if you can stretch your budget, the Corolla 1.4 D-4-D is about 22.5k new.
    You might find a few 05 platers in the Toyota dealerships for a couple grand cheaper. Should easily get 60mpg

So boring. You should be enrolled in the University of Utter Boredom just for thinking about it :D

i find the corolla's very small inside, not nice if your in traffic

So boring. You should be enrolled in the University of Utter Boredom just for thinking about it :D
    :(
    Ya, but if he's been driving a Ford Maverick/Nissan Terrano II/Mitsubishi Pajero for the last while, surely the Corolla is a bit more adventurous??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hey Henry, we know you eat and sleep Fords and thats your choice but I think it may be time to take the blinkers off for a short moment. :D

The Corolla might be boring to some but believe it or not the Focus MkII has it's shortfalls also. A disappointing project designing a good chassis, fitting a great French diesel engine and then fitting a drap exterior and interior. How many people actually go out and buy these type cars because they are "great" to drive? Not many I'd say. Everyone to their own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are off Bazz. I know I'm biased, but bloody hell a Corolla 1.4D come on!

Very nearly any other comparable vehicle and engine combo will be more fun than one of them. The motoring equivalent of erectile dysfunction :D

A petrol Corolla is a little better, a decent Golf better again. A 3 door Astra looks great. A Citroen C4 is innovative if nothing else.

There I didn't even mention FOMOCO ;)

They are off Bazz. I know I'm biased, but bloody hell a Corolla 1.4D come on!

Very nearly any other comparable vehicle and engine combo will be more fun than one of them. The motoring equivalent of erectile dysfunction :D

A petrol Corolla is a little better, a decent Golf better again. A 3 door Astra looks great. A Citroen C4 is innovative if nothing else.

There I didn't even mention FOMOCO ;)

They are not as bad as people have read about them. Also the 1.4 D4-D is used in the BMW Mini and we know the Germans don't put a foot wrong.;)

The important difference being "in the BMW Mini". It's the weakest and worst selling engine in that range. In a Corolla (saloon presumably) it's even worse.

I drove a Cooper S for a weekend a couple of years back and loved it btw.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They drive very well, move swiftly, and to be honest look nicer than most cars (possibly nicer than the new focus). My only criticism is the 5 dr is very poorly specified and probably will be replaced in 9~12 mths.

I havnt read anything bad about them, even the english press have been nice this time.

• Advertisement

The important difference being "in the BMW Mini". It's the weakest and worst selling engine in that range. In a Corolla (saloon presumably) it's even worse.

I drove a Cooper S for a weekend a couple of years back and loved it btw.

Well I admit the Corolla is not going to win a beaty contest but not many cars in this market segment would either, the D4-D whether it be the modest 1.4 90bhp version in the Corolla or the new 2.2 190bhp in other models are far from crap. Yes they had a few problems with the fly wheel in the first year or two of production but no engine is without it's teething problems.

The reason it is the worst selling engine in the Mini range is because of the nature of the Mini. It is a niche model and the fact that the diesel is not selling is more down to a misjudgement of the market. Small sales of the BMW 3 Series or Peug 406 coupes in diesel form doesn't mean they are crap either.

I had a Corolla D-4D for a couple of hours when my car was being serviced and was surprised by how nippy and frugal it was for a 1.4 litre. As with any car I recommend a drive in one before disregarding it.

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes they had a few problems with the fly wheel in the first year or two of production but no engine is without it's teething problems.

The flywheel issue seems to have more to do with Luk or some other OEM, as the Ford Foci and transits in particular are suffering from similar problems. They seem to be putting them into most new turbo diesels. VW had a recall with them and Pugs seem to also be having issues.

90bhp is a reasonable amount of power for a Corolla. In fairness the Audi A4, a had a 90bhp engine as standard as recently as 2001. I think it is a remarkable feat to get 90bhp from a 1.4 Diesel.

and compare it to the 1.4 Corolla petrol which I believe is only 75bhp.

I think the Corolla is due a replacement this year or next

maidhc wrote:
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with them. They drive very well, move swiftly, and to be honest look nicer than most cars (possibly nicer than the new focus). My only criticism is the 5 dr is very poorly specified and probably will be replaced in 9~12 mths.

With respect that's not the issue. Nearly all Japanese mainstream cars are highly competent, well bolted together, and reliable. I agree there is nothing wrong with them.

What I'm suggesting is that the Corolla is unbelievably dull. That 1.4 D4D is also pretty sloth like. Frugal granted, but ininspired from a design perspective, and without even a semblance of character.

If you like them well the very best of luck to you. Lots of people would disagree with you, but each to their own and all that.

My view remains that the OP can do much better with his money.

bazz26 wrote:
    Well I admit the Corolla is not going to win a beaty contest but not many cars in this market segment would either, the D4-D whether it be the modest 1.4 90bhp version in the Corolla or the new 2.2 190bhp in other models are far from crap. Yes they had a few problems with the fly wheel in the first year or two of production but no engine is without it's teething problems.

The reason it is the worst selling engine in the Mini range is because of the nature of the Mini. It is a niche model and the fact that the diesel is not selling is more down to a misjudgement of the market. Small sales of the BMW 3 Series or Peug 406 coupes in diesel form doesn't mean they are crap either.

I had a Corolla D-4D for a couple of hours when my car was being serviced and was surprised by how nippy and frugal it was for a 1.4 litre. As with any car I recommend a drive in one before disregarding it.

I never said they were crap Baz.

See my post above for my rebuttal ;)

Bought a 03 Opel Vectra GTS in the end. Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Advertisement