Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Girls Dies, ingame memorial service bombed!?

Options
  • 13-03-2006 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭

First of all I dont play this game but I found this whole situation very interesting. Some of you have probably heard about it. Short story is(excuse my ignorance of the ingame lingo etc)

Some girl died(In real life) and her guild were holding a memorial in a contested area when some other guild decided to crash in!?

So reading about it on the wow forums and I think its one of the most funny/sad/wierd things I've ever heard on the internet. I'm sure all you wow players will have more to say about it?

Links:
    Thread over on wow explaining more
    Low Quality Vid
    High Quality Vid (460MB)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Ag marbh

Hilarious

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭joe_chicken

That may be in bad taste... but goddamn its funny

the cutting from alliance to horde at the start is very well done

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

These ingame ceremonies are fooking stupid.
    If i was the girls family id be furious tbh.
    Idiots need to get a fooking life tbh,let the girl rest in peace without some silly childish ingame ceremony.
    Maybe im wrong here but hey its my opinion,i think its just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah saw it earlier. I'll go to hell for it, but I laughed. There's a big angry discussion about it on HardForum too (some people are comparing it to a real funeral, they don't see the difference?!).

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

I think there's a couple of issues here, one is, the reason they did it, if it was to generally prove a point about it being a PVP server, well, i 'd have to say fair enough, if however it was done to get attention and have people slap them on their little virtual backs and tell them all what funny people they are ( and i do do kinda suspect the latter), then i 'm afraid they're at roughly the level of sadness that some people claim the people holding the service are.
    The fact is however people chose to mourn other peoples passing is up to them,
    and that includes mass kickings in a PVP zone, but blatant disrespect of a sincere show of mourning 'for the laugh'...well, thats just being a dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭shinzon

Maybe its just me but sometimes Warcraft really creeps me out TBH, take this for instance, blurring reality with a game is just plain worng

Ive seen other things as well like real life partners carrying over the sexual fantasies into warcraft

V creepy and sad

shin

it doesn't matter what you or i think, tbh , i find it creepy as well, but while people have got the right to judge something as a load o ****e or whatever, it doesn't follow that its ok to act like an idiot about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Oh wow. That is so controversial right there. I started watching this, purely with the intent of despising and hating the scum for crashing an online funeral, but tbh it was kinda funny. Plus, if you can say with a straight face that there was nothing wrong with the mourners having a virtual funeral in-game to pay respect to their fallen comrade then how can it be wrong to crash said funeral, in-game. Hmm, that sounded alot more reasonable in my head... Ok, I can see both sides but the field of dead guys is funnier so...

'sides, they could at least of had it in a non-contested zone (non-PvP) zone.

[Edit]
    Found this on the WoW forum listed and I think it sums up my feelings exactly:
    I am an e-celeb, who wants nude pics to sell?

On a serious note, a life without introspection or philosophy is pointless. The game as a conduit simply fails for making real connections. If WoW is your base for friends or real emotional solice. Then you sir are amazingly damaged person. Get out live real life. Funerals are meant for people who really knew them. Its like all the retards who show up at celeb funerals. You dindt know this person to an extent that gives you a right to mourn them. If you did then its another cookie cutter non person we are talking about. I would have supported my guilds actions out of idealism not just I (we) like be amazingly huge e-wangs.

[edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

that's halarious!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Dcully wrote:
    These ingame ceremonies are fooking stupid.
    If i was the girls family id be furious tbh.
    Idiots need to get a fooking life tbh,let the girl rest in peace without some silly childish ingame ceremony.
    Maybe im wrong here but hey its my opinion,i think its just ridiculous.

So, you won't be having a memorial for me on Karkand when I die ? Think of the knife kills!!!

• Advertisement

lol...magnanimous even in death

Ivan wrote:

'sides, they could at least of had it in a non-contested zone (non-PvP) zone.

[edit]

true, was a little silly to advertise it, i guess they were hoping to avoid exactly what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Did something similar years ago in Ultima Online. Heard of a player run wedding. So myself and some others hired a professional cook to make the top of the range food then hired a professional assassin to pepper the food with secret sauce. Was funny to watch people keeling over at the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

hairball wrote:
    I think there's a couple of issues here, one is, the reason they did it, if it was to generally prove a point about it being a PVP server, well, i 'd have to say fair enough, if however it was done to get attention and have people slap them on their little virtual backs and tell them all what funny people they are ( and i do do kinda suspect the latter), then i 'm afraid they're at roughly the level of sadness that some people claim the people holding the service are.
    The fact is however people chose to mourn other peoples passing is up to them,
    and that includes mass kickings in a PVP zone, but blatant disrespect of a sincere show of mourning 'for the laugh'...well, thats just being a dickhead.
    /agreed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So, you won't be having a memorial for me on Karkand when I die ? Think of the knife kills!!!

LOL,lo there Silverfish,havent seen Viriconia *spelling*on our server in a while,your over due a visit and a knife kill :)

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭kwalsh000

Normally i would not reply to something like this, and am not too sure whether this is about the chinese girl that died a while ago or someone else but either way, the people who "ruined the mourning" can be akin to scumbags simple as that. I thot for a second i seen a name Homeland security in the video, take a guess as to where most of them wudprob be from, not to be offensive just pointing out the obvious. As for the fact some people who get involved in the game, and probably talked to this girl many times and even were friends found it a fitting way to show a little respect. And i dont care who thinks its *sad* to do that, because if it is, why the hell are you reading this forum?? I play Wow as do a few people i know, some way more addcited then me, but we all work, all go out and have a laugh but find it nice to sit down and loose urself in the imaginary world for a while, no harm in that. And how do any of you know that the people mourning there in Wow didnt know her for a long time? and maybe just logged on just for that? They might not have been able to pay their respects in real life due to any number of reasons. Needless to say i was sickened by the people that ruined it and they are the type of people who would always pick on someone smaller and weaker. ( damn that psychology course came in handy:P). Needless to say i think the "raiders" are scum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Although WoW is just a game, if you play in organised guilds with voice chat, and interact with these people teaming together for 4+hours a day, over the nearly 2+ years that WoW US has been around, I think it's quite reasonable to suggest that those people may know each other better as friends than some people whom they would have met in real life. Lets face it, they can talk together, they work together to defeat common challenges, and they spend so much time together, the only thing that's unusual is the medium.

I can understand what people are saying with the "its on a pvp server, what do they expect". I'd imagine what they felt was that if they had held this in a "safe" location (eg one of the major cities), firstly it would be too busy with random people selling cwap etc, and by putting it in an uncommon location, only people who were genuinely interested would appear, secondly I'd imagine they may have (foolishly) thought that some of the opposing side may have wanted to also pay their respects. What happened wouldn't have surprised me, but I'd imagine it would have really annoyed the people who really cared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

I don't know what to think. They're both sad, but one side of it is funnier. I know if I died and there was a memorial service for me on a server then I would most certainly laugh my ass off if the other faction pwned all the noobs attenting the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Dubhthamlacht

there's no doubt that the whole idea was certainly weird. Holding such an event seems crass and tacky in my opinion even if they participants who held the "memorial" were sincere about it. It still made me laugh though. I have no qualms about going around ganking but if in that situation I wouldn't go near such an event as I simply would not want to be associated with such freakiness in any way or form. It is a game after all but it's also a game where the bounderies are becoming blurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭JimmySmith

Thats so funny. Sad gits.
    I hera the leader of the other clan was called Michael Stone. He's got form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I don't think it is stupid to have an online funeral for your online friend. It's no more ridiculous than some priest babbling rosaries over your corpse and everyone mumbling away with him.
    It looked like a cute little funeral.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭sunzz

I have no quarrels with the funeral however people want to remember someone is fine by me, but after watching that vid I think a little pee came out.

It's a pvp server what can you expect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

That made me angry and it made sad.
    I guess it's because somebody I know died recently and I know how much it would have meant to some of them...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Drakar wrote:
    I can understand what people are saying with the "its on a pvp server, what do they expect".

In Ultima Online and Neocron these sort of things were expected. UO for example at professional events where GM intervention wasn't expected trained fighters/mages where put in as police to stop any kind of muppets. In UO they had a fight night where they had police characters spamming the fighting area with detect hidden and slaughtering anyone found in the area that wasn't supposed to be fighting.

Likewise in Neocron on the server I was on there were clans that actually made a living out of policing events/outposts for other clans who didn't have the firepower.

If your going to hold an event you have to expect the asshole factor showing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

That kind of **** goes on on RP servers afaik..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

it was kinda ****ty of then to crash it....

...but in saying that my god it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭StephenInsane

LOL total ownage. Music and build up was perfect. When scatman hit I nearly fell over laughing. Probably the best video on the internet ever.

PS. I read on another forum that the reason they held the funeral there is because she spent a lot of time fishing there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

kwalsh000 wrote:
    Normally i would not reply to something like this, and am not too sure whether this is about the chinese girl that died a while ago or someone else but either way, the people who "ruined the mourning" can be akin to scumbags simple as that. I thot for a second i seen a name Homeland security in the video, take a guess as to where most of them wudprob be from, not to be offensive just pointing out the obvious. As for the fact some people who get involved in the game, and probably talked to this girl many times and even were friends found it a fitting way to show a little respect. And i dont care who thinks its *sad* to do that, because if it is, why the hell are you reading this forum?? I play Wow as do a few people i know, some way more addcited then me, but we all work, all go out and have a laugh but find it nice to sit down and loose urself in the imaginary world for a while, no harm in that. And how do any of you know that the people mourning there in Wow didnt know her for a long time? and maybe just logged on just for that? They might not have been able to pay their respects in real life due to any number of reasons. Needless to say i was sickened by the people that ruined it and they are the type of people who would always pick on someone smaller and weaker. ( damn that psychology course came in handy:P). Needless to say i think the "raiders" are scum

Amen.

It's not about the game really in this case. They were friends. If you were to leave the game now you would miss people you speak to a lot and just sit around chatting to.

Think of it this way, if someone in your guild who you liked died today (god forbid), and you logged on ans were told about it, and the guid leader asked you to log on at a certain time to pay respects, would you? or would you say it was sad?

Some people are such good friends that it makes it easier to pay proper respect to them by logging on, there could be 50 people from all around europe or whatever all attending to pay respects, instead of all of them travelling to the funeral (and probably being unwelcome)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

I heard some 1 stabbed because this person gave one of the best swords to there m8 and they didnt get it back so went to station to see what he/she could do and they said its not a real thing so they couldnt do anything.Then the person stabbed the person that took the sword to death and is in prison.

no offence but world of warcraft should be banned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

pardon my french but the ppl that did it are a bunch of **** {no offence inteneded}

Advertisement