Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Card

Options
  • 13-03-2006 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

Can I use my Laser card abroad(in the euro area)?
    I have Cirrus on it so I know I can withdraw money from an ATM if needs be,
    but can I use my Laser card abroad to purchase things?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

You cant use it as a debit card, just for ATM withdrawals

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can use it as debit also, but only if it has a Maestro symbol/functionality. Check with your bank to see if this is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

BuffyBot wrote:
    You can use it as debit also, but only if it has a Maestro symbol/functionality. Check with your bank to see if this is an option.
    There is normally an additional charge for this. I am with NIB and the charge is 3.5% of the transaction value IIRC. On top of the charge for currency exchange (if outside the Eurozone.)

I think the best option is to withdraw the money. That way you just pay the exchange fee if applicale and whatever your bank charges for a withdrawal, if anything. A foreign withdrawal from an ATM should not attract a % base fee unlike a maestro transaction.

MrP

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I have used my Laser (Maestro) happily in supermarkets and restaurants in France but it was rejected once. There weren't any additional fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Yes you can use your Laser as a debit card in other countries. The shop must accept 'Maestro', which they normally do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Off-topic, but if I apply for a Laser card from BOI, does anyone know how long it'll take for them to approve/send it out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

Off-topic, but if I apply for a Laser card from BOI, does anyone know how long it'll take for them to approve/send it out?
    2 Weeks maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

If you're with PTSB, you can withdraw cash from ATMs in euroland free using your laser card as long as it has one of the symbols the machine has ie, visa, cirrus, maestro..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Tazz T wrote:
    If you're with PTSB, you can withdraw cash from ATMs in euroland free using your laser card as long as it has one of the symbols the machine has ie, visa, cirrus, maestro..
    Thanks Tazz T,
    As it happens I am with Ptsb, and have only cirrus with my laser card,
    I don't have Maestro.
    Can I assume that Maestro is to cirrus, what Mastercard is to Visa! just a competitor, absolutely no difference in the charges etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maestro = International Debit card function via the Mastercard network.
    Cirrus = International Cash Machine function via the Mastercard network.

Two different things. Your card may have Maestro functionality, and no symbol - especially if it's an older card. Contact PTSB and confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

BuffyBot wrote:

Two different things. Your card may have Maestro functionality, and no symbol - especially if it's an older card. Contact PTSB and confirm.

That is helpful to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

BuffyBot wrote:

Thanks Buffybot, ptsb have said that although their Open 24/Laser card does have CIRRUS functionality it does not have Maestro functionality!

Advertisement