Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help : Penalty Points

Options
  • 13-03-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭

Hi There,

I was coming off a 60 road onto a 50 road on friday night when I spotted two guards behind a pole with their clocker thing in their hand. Now I was slowing down but was still doing about 56 or 57 when I past them, they had their jeep across the road but I wasnt pulled over or anything do you think that they would've pulled me if I was going to get a fine or points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Dont think so man.Unless they had a camera print out on the speedo gun(which i doubt).Unless they went after you im sure youre safe.Sometimes during the day the gardai ( with speedo gun)would wave at people and warn them to slow down.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Dont think so man.Unless they had a camera print out on the speedo gun(which i doubt).Unless they went after you im sure youre safe.Sometimes during the day the gardai ( with speedo gun)would wave at people and warn them to slow down.....

I reckon you're fine too. When I got done by these I got pulled over so I reckon you'll be fine. From what I've seen they only pull people excessively speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Thanks for you reply, unless they had a night vision camera or something there's no way they could've seen my plates because it was a back road and pitch dark, I had my full lights on and thats how I saw them my lights bounced off their jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not necessarily; points for speeding usually arrive with Postman Pat weeks after the offence, and also with a nice €80 fine.

From a fixed camera yes(majority of fines).The gardai do have the cameras that print out the picture of offeding vehicles but i dont think they have nighvision capabilities..Id say you wont get anything in the post.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your replies guys suppose its just a case of wait and see, you've put my mind somewhat at ease anyway.

No worries Jood.Fixed speed cameras aswell if you get flashed by them doesnt necessarilly mean you get points aswell.They may of ran out of film but the flash still works.This has happened to me 3 or 4 times.Was flashed coming back from a pub in swords before the m50 theres a camera (near a petrol station forget actual road:mad: )and i still havent got anything in the post.
    Maybe no film in the camera or just a delay sending out the points but at the moment i will count it as 2 points.(will wait 3 more months).
    Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

This has happened to me 3 or 4 times.

You'd think you would've learned your lesson by now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

No worries Jood.Fixed speed cameras aswell if you get flashed by them doesnt necessarilly mean you get points aswell.They may of ran out of film but the flash still works.This has happened to me 3 or 4 times.Was flashed coming back from a pub in swords before the m50 theres a camera (near a petrol station forget actual road:mad: )and i still havent got anything in the post.
    Maybe no film in the camera or just a delay sending out the points but at the moment i will count it as 2 points.(will wait 3 more months).
    Ro

It's on the old N1 southbound between the junction with the M1 and the first roundabout on the Swords bypass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Just got a letter in the post today - my missus was done for doing 84kph in a 60kph zone on the M1 in Cloghran.

Where the fcuk is it 60 on the M1?!!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭apeking

Just got a letter in the post today - my missus was done for doing 84kph in a 60kph zone on the M1 in Cloghran.

When u come off the M1 at the airportgoing towardsthe airport rounabout, it goes to 60kmph, garda are usually up behind the next sign post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Also seen em on the M1 when they were doing road works (60 speedlimit for duration of works). They were in behind the traffic cones getting in the way of the builders...with their van

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Sure it is 50 on the M1 along the tunnel works!
    However, I would recommend that you check that this speed limit was adopted legally as many of the 60 zones were not.
    http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motoring/2006/0215/267531824MOT15LIMITS.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

BrianD wrote:
    It's on the old N1 southbound between the junction with the M1 and the first roundabout on the Swords bypass.

It's further back at Lanistown on the R132 just south of the Statoil station beside the truck weighbridge.

Just said I might as well tell you where they were when I spotted them on Friday night. It's in Limerick as you come in the back road from Dooradoyle to Greenfields just opposite the Old Cresent Rugby Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭thetrickykid

Think they nabbed her going on the road from the airport roundabout to the slip-road to the M1 - not exactly an area renowned for its dangers to motorists.:rolleyes:

Savman wrote:
    You'd think you would've learned your lesson by now :D

Driving for ten years all over the country so averages out.Sometimes everyone in their lifetime breaks the law..I bought fireworks aswell,dj on a pirate station,bought drink when i was 17...
    :D:D:D:D

Advertisement