Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv app

Options
  • 13-03-2006 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

how easy or how hard would it be to write and app to view cctv cameras, i have the hardware and all, and the drivers for the cards, what would be involved in writing the app? say in c++, java or VB??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Should be pretty straightforward, there are plenty of libraries to capture feeds from cameras that have standard Windows drivers, I think the Intel CV libraries or some of MS Research's ones should let you do that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

These libraries, where can i get them or are they available through Visual Studio 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

Java has known issues if you try capturing from more than one camera ( it can't do it, without some horrible workarounds) , so I would only recommend it for the lightest of projects.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭NeverSayDie

Ziycon wrote:
    These libraries, where can i get them or are they available through Visual Studio 2003?

Don't have the exact addresses to hand, Google should turn them up. I think the MS Research one was called the "MS Vision SDK" or some such, far as I recall, it was a fairly low level MFC-based framework for capturing and manipulating camera feeds, used it on a project a few years ago, seem to recall it worked pretty well. Certainly just displaying images from a camera should be easily doable. The OpenCV one is an open source set of vision libraries for higher level stuff, common computer vision operations, didn't use it much, seems quite popular though. And yeah, they should work in VS 2003, I used them in VS 6, will prob work in the newer ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

nice one. thanks for the help all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What video capture cards are you using? Some are provided with APIs specifically to allow for grabbing the data and manipulating light levels.

Advertisement