Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Options

• 13-03-2006 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

What are your options in getting into this business when you're 22 years old and have absolutely zero experience in ANYTHING related to film production?

Broad question i know:)

Are there many film schools in Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

for instance, something like this...

http://www.iadt.ie/Dispatcher?action=findAllEntities&type=Course&id=17&page=course&random=DL041

would interest me, but i would imagine they don't just let anyone in!!

Any short courses about that i could do? I don't have the points from the leaving cert to get into most colleges this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Agentembryo@hot

http://www.filmbase.ie
    Go to the training section.

You should do one or two of those courses, depending on what interests you and then get some experience working on other people's short films for free.
    Or if you want to be a director, make your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

And remember Mini DV cameras are very affordable these days, and if you have a decent enough computer you should be able to start shooting and editing some of your own work and see if you have a taste for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

And remember Mini DV cameras are very affordable these days, and if you have a decent enough computer you should be able to start shooting and editing some of your own work and see if you have a taste for it.

How much would the average Mini DV cost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Fridge wrote:
    How much would the average Mini DV cost?
    Simple 1 Chip Mini DV cams start at about €400.

Make sure it's got DV in/out on it and get a Firewire card for your computer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Hmm....that's almost affordable. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

and then get some experience working on other people's short films for free.
    I worked on a funded short before and was amazed at how common it is for people to work long hours for free, just for the experience. :eek:
    It seems like a tough industry to get into.
    I could understand a very small wage like an apprenticeship, but working for free requires some serious dedication!

Advertisement