Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving an Irish Car on the Continent

Options
  • 13-03-2006 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭

What alterations do I have to make to an Irish car if I'm to be able to drive it on the continent?
    I used to see cars driving around with YELLOW front lights a few years ago, is that still necessary?
    Also I have a full irish driving licence, do I need to apply for an international driving licence to drive within the EU(and switzerland), or is that only necessary for driving outside the EU(and switzerland)!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

I drove around the EU for 2 months with no modifications to the car, and nobody batted an eyelid....Officially you need a mixture of the following for various countries: first aid kit, fire extinguisher, hazard triangle, and for all countries, little stickers to divert the light out of oncoming motorists eyes.
    Full licence is fine for EU and Switzerland, and some other countries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

For France you also need a complete set of spare bulbs, original documents (log book, insurance cert, nct if applicable) and of course you must carry your driver's licence at all times.
    Yellow lights are no longer obligatory. You must mask your lights to avoid blinding other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Heres some advice

You will need to have some headlight adjustment done on your front beams, basically to stop them from blinding people in oncoming traffic. Because you are driving on the other side of the road, your headlights will point to the middle of the road instead of the side.

If I were you, I would get an international driving permit. Check the AA website ( www.theaa.ie) for info on how to get one. The cops might get arsey with you for not having one so get one to be on the safe side.

Bring a hazard roadsign, a first aid kit, and a luminous jacket. These are all required by law on the continent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

don't think you need an international license.
    also, if you're going in summer time, why bother getting the lights done...chances are you won't be driving at night..

I'd defo have the warning triangle in case you break down...cops in France are sticklers for safety, especially on motorways.

Spare set of bulbs is a no brainer...you should have them at all times.

Visi vest is a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

How do people find driving on the left, while still being in a right-hand drive car?

And also, if I were to rent a car on the continent, for those so used to driving a right-hand drive car, how easy or not is it to get adjusted to driving a left-hand drive car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Personally, I find it easier to drive my own car over there. Being in a familiar car means you can give your full attention to getting used to being on the other side of the road. Rarely does it matter which side of the car you're on....apart from toll booths etc.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

DMC wrote:
    How do people find driving on the left, while still being in a right-hand drive car?

And also, if I were to rent a car on the continent, for those so used to driving a right-hand drive car, how easy or not is it to get adjusted to driving a left-hand drive car?
    I love driving on the continent. The roads are so good & there are less numpties on them that there is very little problem - its an enjoyable experience. I even drove in paris and it wasn't that bad.

I wouldn't bother with a hire car. I did that in 2001 or 2002 and got a crappy 1.6 vectra - something I would never drive again!

There is some helpful info on the AA site.
    http://www.aaireland.ie/toptips/motoringeurope.asp

Get yourself one of the Michelin Road Atlases - extremely helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lex Luthor wrote:
    also, if you're going in summer time, why bother getting the lights done...chances are you won't be driving at night..

:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Actually heading to Latvia myself in April, anybody know if my Irish driving licence will be ok or will I have to get a permit? It's a bit daunting thinking about driving in another country:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

the biggest danger when driving on the continent is when pulling out of service stations or small country roads. its easy to forget to pull over to the right-hand side of the road.
    masking your dip-beams is easy. park your car facing a wall and with your hand or a piece of cardboard cover the part of the light which lights up to the left. on older cars it is the portion of the headlight on the bottom right side. get some wide black tape and cover that part of the light. you should now have a flat dip beam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

You don't have to make any changes to your car. As long as it's road legal in Ireland you can drive it in any country in the EU. If it's legal to drive without a spare set of bulbs or a warning triangle in Ireland you can drive without them in France*. When I went over I just adjusted my headlights as far to the right as possible.

*Temporarily only - change of residence is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

In Switzerland you will need a spare pare of glasses if you are a wearer. The vehicle must be in good nick. You will have to pay a vignette for using the autoroute.

A hazard triangle and spare bulbs are obligatory as are snow chains in winter. Driver's license and relevant papers must be carried at all times.

The Italians insist on a fluorescent jacket in case of breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You don't have to make any changes to your car. As long as it's road legal in Ireland you can drive it in any country in the EU. If it's legal to drive without a spare set of bulbs or a warning triangle in Ireland you can drive without them in France*. When I went over I just adjusted my headlights as far to the right as possible.
    While you might not get done for not having them with you, say in a spot check, if you break down and don't have the warning triangle, or in Spain the hi-viz vest, for example, I personally wouldn't want to get into an argument with the local police on the niceities of EU law, to be honest. In any case, I actually think you're wrong on that point.

In any case, regardless of what you have to do by law, it makes perfect sense to have all these things with you anyway especially on a long journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

zuutroy wrote:
    Personally, I find it easier to drive my own car over there. Being in a familiar car means you can give your full attention to getting used to being on the other side of the road. Rarely does it matter which side of the car you're on....apart from toll booths etc.

I'm the opposite. I find a rental car easier. After a day or two you don't even have to think that your steeting wheel should be towards the center of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭comanche

pontovic wrote:
    Heres some advice

You will need to have some headlight adjustment done on your front beams, basically to stop them from blinding people in oncoming traffic. Because you are driving on the other side of the road, your headlights will point to the middle of the road instead of the side.

If I were you, I would get an international driving permit. Check the AA website ( www.theaa.ie) for info on how to get one. The cops might get arsey with you for not having one so get one to be on the safe side.

Bring a hazard roadsign, a first aid kit, and a luminous jacket. These are all required by law on the continent.

you'd think that they'd make these things compulory to carry here as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

f I were you, I would get an international driving permit. Check the AA website ( www.theaa.ie) for info on how to get one. The cops might get arsey with you for not having one so get one to be on the safe side.
    Not needed, and a complete waste of time and money within the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

thanks Lads:D
    One other thing, breakdown assistance.
    I have never bought such cover here in Ireland, but I'm thinking that while I'm away on my two week holiday in France, Italy and Switzerland, it may be a good idea.
    The problem is the AA only offer it in Ireland and UK? Has anyone any suggestions?
    I know my insurance company AXA provide a basic form of cover, that is, you ring them, and they call the closest mechanic, and you pay him etc. But that might end up being very expensive.
    what's your advice?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

thanks Lads:D
    One other thing, breakdown assistance.
    You can get AA cover abroad (for a fee).
    I never bothered with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 signs

This should help you, and don't for whatever reason get caught speeding in France.

http://driving.drive-alive.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

AA five Star Cover is important if your car developes a fault. When I had a company car the company always insisted on it. When I traveled with my own car I would have got it. Thankfully never had to use it. Also if you do not own the car i.e. a company car you will need a letter from the company / leasing company giving you permission to take the car out of the country.

Enjoy the holiday.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭patsyh

If your not going for long, dont bother with anything, no need.(presumung your car is roadworthy)

a bit of topic but always get the aa licence if your hiring cars, saves flashing your real licence

Advertisement