Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phbb Profile Spammers

Options
  • 13-03-2006 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭

Hey

Have a messageboard at the below

http://www.worldeasy.com/phBB/index.php?sid=039f938e9dbaf07322b70644006ff166
    We are getting a load of profile spammers

contacted webhost and they have done what they could

Looking to get visual confirmation but they said they would charge us for that
    Is this easy to do and can I do it myself what do we need ?

Any other suggestions on how to stop them or any other free messageboards out there we can use which are more secure ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Have the same problem.

What i have done is to ban certain usernames, they tend to pick names that will encourage a click so anything with free, poker, pron etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Yeah banned users but may ban certain usernames

also got host to un-view members list showing the urls of the spammers

found this

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=257755&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

changed the agreed in the php file to something else so not sure if that will work

Still trying to figure out how to set visual confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can also stop the spiders listing the profile pages by editing your robots.txt - it won't stop the spammers, but at least you won't give them any "link love"

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

Irish Gunner -

There is a Enable Visual Confirmation option in the Phpbb Configuration page of the Admin Panel. Do you have access to the Admin Panel? I was having problems with profile spammers as well but then enabled the Visual Confirmation and it has all but stopped.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Even with Enable Visual Confirmation set, I get the odd spammer. Apparently there's a tool out there that teh script kiddies use which has better than 90% success rate at recognising the text in the images. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I wrote a perl script to generate one of these visual verification images with ImageMagick.
    Maybe the code that generates the images can be modified to try break the kiddie script. Maybe rotate the image.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Irish Gunner -

There is a Enable Visual Confirmation option in the Phpbb Configuration page of the Admin Panel. Do you have access to the Admin Panel? I was having problems with profile spammers as well but then enabled the Visual Confirmation and it has all but stopped.

Regards.

Yeah just saw this today so enabled it

hopefully it will stop them

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭seo-ireland

It will make a HUGE difference :D

Advertisement