Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driver theory test question

Options
  • 13-03-2006 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

My wife is doing this on Saturday.
    Doing the tests on the CD (apart from it still being in miles etc)... she is being asked loads of useless questions about tractors and trucks etc..

My question is.. will she be asked this rubbish even though she only wants to drive a car?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Saruman wrote:
    Doing the tests on the CD (apart from it still being in miles etc)... she is being asked loads of useless questions about tractors and trucks etc..

My question is.. will she be asked this rubbish even though she only wants to drive a car?

She shouldn't about trucks, but tractors and bikes yes. I had mine a few weeks ago and I had some seriously dodgy questions about tractors and bikes, a few guesses and 39 out of 40. Best thing to do if unsure is to study for it, or simply wing it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Ya all questions are asked, trailers and all, did mine nearly 3 years ago and got 39/40 even with the Bus lane questions, which in truth are not valid outside dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

i got 39 out of 40 too. got a question about a trailer and a question about a visor on a motor bike helmet in the rain. got the helmet one right and the trailer one wrong. ah well.
    go over the test on the cd a few times then dont look at it the day of the test and just go do it. its simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

She is doing that yes.. when doing the actual mock test on the CD she usually fails by one or two questions and sometimes passes. Its the tractor and bike ones that actually get her.. i mean why are they there? Unless you are actually going to drive a tractor they should not be included.. i can sort of understand bike questions since you can ride a bike on provisional too... i thought tractors though had a different Licence rating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Jood

Yep you do still get asked the stupid questions about tractors and trailers. I got 39 out of 40 and the one I got wrong was about a tractor. On the plus side thought there are only a few questions about tractors and trailers so she should be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Saruman wrote:
    Its the tractor and bike ones that actually get her.. i mean why are they there? Unless you are actually going to drive a tractor they should not be included..

It actually does make sense. Firstly because you get an "M" class licence for free when you pass the car test and I think "W" vehicles can be added for free (to a provisional anyway).

Secondly, when learning the rules of the road it makes perfect sense to be able to view situations from other drivers perspectives. I mean, if she did not get asked questions about motorbikes and visibility, then she could use the excuse "I didn't see the bike" and state that she didn't have to because they are not covered by the theory test. :rolleyes:
    Are you going to guarantee that in the future she will *never* drive a car with a trailer? Never drive a larger vehicle like a van?

Nonsense. The rules of the road apply to everyone so everyone should learn them all. You cant develop a society where people can pick and choose the rules that they want to learn because the others don't apply to them.

Oh wait, that sounds just like a country I know already...

To be honest there are 4 or 5 "difficult" questions which require some effort to work out. These include the stopping distances and some others. Learn these off by heart and you get 40/40.

Stopping distances should not be learned in metres or yards or mph/kph in my opinion anyway. The 2/4 second rule is much easier and is applicable in all situations regardless of speed.

Oh and the actual test is more random than the practice tests on the cd. I found that it kept doing say 25/30 the same as the previous test and threw in a couple of new ones.

L.

So nereid i take it you know ALL the rules of the road off by heart for every single vehicle using the road.. good for you!!

What part of my post where i said i understood bikes being included did you decide to ignore??

My gripe is with tractors!!!! I do not care if one can add a tractor to your provisional licence.. when doing the theory test questions about driving a tractor should only be included IF you intend to drive one!!!

So nereid i take it you know ALL the rules of the road off by heart for every single vehicle using the road.. good for you!!

What part of my post where i said i understood bikes being included did you decide to ignore??

My gripe is with tractors!!!! I do not care if one can add a tractor to your provisional licence.. when doing the theory test questions about driving a tractor should only be included IF you intend to drive one!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

nereid wrote:
    It actually does make sense. Firstly because you get an "M" class licence for free when you pass the car test and I think "W" vehicles can be added for free (to a provisional anyway).

Secondly, when learning the rules of the road it makes perfect sense to be able to view situations from other drivers perspectives. I mean, if she did not get asked questions about motorbikes and visibility, then she could use the excuse "I didn't see the bike" and state that she didn't have to because they are not covered by the theory test. :rolleyes:
    Are you going to guarantee that in the future she will *never* drive a car with a trailer? Never drive a larger vehicle like a van?

Nonsense. The rules of the road apply to everyone so everyone should learn them all. You cant develop a society where people can pick and choose the rules that they want to learn because the others don't apply to them.

Oh wait, that sounds just like a country I know already...

To be honest there are 4 or 5 "difficult" questions which require some effort to work out. These include the stopping distances and some others. Learn these off by heart and you get 40/40.

Stopping distances should not be learned in metres or yards or mph/kph in my opinion anyway. The 2/4 second rule is much easier and is applicable in all situations regardless of speed.

Oh and the actual test is more random than the practice tests on the cd. I found that it kept doing say 25/30 the same as the previous test and threw in a couple of new ones.

L.

Well said mate

OP, if makes perfect sense for your wife to have to learn these questions. When she starts driving she will be able to think about situations from other road users prospective and in theory, it should make her a better driver

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Saruman, how do the driver licensing people know that your wife won't be driving a tractor? The B licence lets you drive a tractor, so therefore you should know the rules of the road for the classes of vechiles you are licensed to drive.

Aren't we all???;) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Saruman wrote:

Well I did know them all when I sat the theory test: 40/40, but you are correct, I am not a solicitor or a guard and do not know all the rules of the road.

Nor for that matter does the driver theory test, while quite comprehensive, deal with "ALL" the rules of the road.

To be fair, I didn't ignore your post about motorbikes, I merely added an explanation as to why there were questions for other types of vehicle than the specific one that you are applying for.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i think its a joke being asked about tractors, you could argue then that that are more bus drivers than tractor drivers, so they should ask about bus driving instead.

nereid wrote:

L.

I got my licence last year and I didnt get an 'M' licence with my 'B' licence??

I dont get that argument about the bike? the questions about bikes are not about you being sble to spot bikes, they are how to see better in the rain if your ON a bike or how to keep visable if you are ON a bike so how could she say "i didnt see the bike as i dont have to....."

I do agree with the randomness of the test but its still easy. I done the test for free when i was 17 without having so much as looked at the cover of the theory test book or anything and only failed by 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Were can you buy this cd? or is there a web based test that you can practice?

Most motor factors should sell it. if not try a test centre.
    You could always get it from the library.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

heggie wrote:
    i think its a joke being asked about tractors, you could argue then that that are more bus drivers than tractor drivers, so they should ask about bus driving instead.

A category D licence is required to drive a bus in a public place, but a tractor can be driven on a category B licence.

It makes perfect sense otherwise a person who drives only in a rural area could argue that they shouldn't have to know about motorways, traffic lights, bus lanes, roundabouts, clearways, box junctions etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Saruman wrote:

If the book is the same as the car there are two main chapters.
    Chapter 1 is for Cat's : A,B,M and W

Chapters 2 is for the rest.

The tractor stuff is pretty much the same as the other stuff, common sense and awareness of the road should make guessing the correct answer easy even if you haven't come accross it before. From your other posts you say that your wife already has an American drivers license so have to assume she has proper road experience already, should be no problem to her at all. Tell her to concentrate on just learning the Irish signs as the rest is very obvious to someone with driving experience.

For the record I got 40 out of 40 first time (see the attachment..I look down on the 39/40 loosers that posted already ;):p ), but had been on the road on my mbike for several years already so the scenarios in the questions seemed pretty obvious to me as no doubt it will to her.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Were can you buy this cd? or is there a web based test that you can practice?

Easons

I got my licence last year and I didnt get an 'M' licence with my 'B' licence??IQUOTE]

AFAIK it's usually written on the little slip of paper that comes with the licence and has the restriction code numbers.

M and W are given their own section on a provisional licence as a person may only want a provisional licence for one of those categories only.

I presume if a person did a category W or M test only, they would have to have a slightly different licence with a W or M section on it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

Litcagral wrote:
    A category D licence is required to drive a bus in a public place, but a tractor can be driven on a category B licence.

It makes perfect sense otherwise a person who drives only in a rural area could argue that they shouldn't have to know about motorways, traffic lights, bus lanes, roundabouts, clearways, box junctions etc.

Rubbish, no traffic lights in rural areas now? you should know how to drive on any roads you may come accross, but you shouldnt be expected to know how to drive any vehicle, maybe its an issue with the license more than the test then.

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    I got my licence last year and I didnt get an 'M' licence with my 'B' licence??IQUOTE]

AFAIK it's usually written on the little slip of paper that comes with the licence and has the restriction code numbers.

M and W are given their own section on a provisional licence as a person may only want a provisional licence for one of those categories only.

I presume if a person did a category W or M test only, they would have to have a slightly different licence with a W or M section on it..

Just looked at that slip of paper, yeh it says i there. It should be on the licence aswell though.
    There is a section on it for M or W only. the b should have B+M+W or at least have them filled in.

Anyway i still think its rubbish having tractors on the test.. I think my point is more along the lines of the testers SHOULD know what you are going to be driving.. i mean seriously... how many people going for the test are actually intending of driving a tractor??

Gripe aside.... she did the test yesterday after studying.. when she started getting 40/40 on the cd she was happy... she ended up getting the 40/40 on the day :D

Advertisement