Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"galway County Borough"

Options
  • 13-03-2006 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me exactly what the Galway County Borough is.. As in, how far does it stretch? Is it city, county, what?

Or even better, a map would be great :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cardoor

Galway City Boundries: Clicky

I think everything outside of this is Galway County Borough but then again would it not include places like Ballinalsoe that of an Urban District Council?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

SWEET

Thanks a million man. Just needed to confirm something for legal reasons :)

Fishermen dont like me using JetSki's in Oughterard. They reckon theyre illegal, I know theyre only illegal on the River Corrib, not the lake.

Checked up and theyre not illegal outside the "Burough" ... I own you a pint :)

-Edit- BTW, I think that the area outlined *IS* the burough. As Galway Council state that "Galway Corporation may designate areas within the County Borough (with the exception of any area on the River Corrib), and period’s of the time with respect to such areas ,where and when the use of jet skis is allowed"

So it makes sense, doesnt it? As the corrib is within that area outlined, and they are DEFINATELY banned there

No offence mate but I fish off Oughterard and I wouldn't use a Jet Ski there. Too Dangerous. I have used a boat there all my life and its way too shallow in spots. They have Perch Nets up there too. Be Careful. You should try down near Collinamuck. Its deeper and thats where most of the Jet Sking goes on.

cardoor wrote:
    No offence mate but I fish off Oughterard and I wouldn't use a Jet Ski there. Too Dangerous. I have used a boat there all my life and its way too shallow in spots. They have Perch Nets up there too. Be Careful. You should try down near Collinamuck. Its deeper and thats where most of the Jet Sking goes on.

I've been on the Corrib for 9 years. First off with an Anglers Fancy, for the past 5 years on a RIB. I volounteer with Corrib/Mask Rescue also.

When I said outherard, I was generalising. It was actually Collinamuck I was, but I didnt think most people would know the place. I agree, Oughterard is dodge (Unless heading straight out the channel to Inchagoill)

Dont get me wrong, im not a mad jetski head, I bought one last week for summer use on the bay, I only had her on fresh water to adjust the carb and to test it... I realise the noise/wake pollution they cause

Once you know the place you will be okay. Its just the thoughts of somebody pulling up and launching without knowing. How far do you go off shore with it?
    I broke down before.....Not much fun.

• Advertisement

cardoor wrote:
    Once you know the place you will be okay. Its just the thoughts of somebody pulling up and launching without knowing. How far do you go off shore with it?
    I broke down before.....Not much fun.

LOL i'm no n00b. Been playing with Jetski engines for about 5 years now (2strokes in general), first time owning one though (Often worked on other peoples though, well used to handling etc). I have an ISA Powerboat Level 1,2 & 3 awards, im no virgin to the water.

Only went about 100 meters off the shore at Collinamuck as I didnt have a boat alongside me. I only went out there because theyre banned on the River. Most of the time I had the ski pushed against the wall adjusting the carb. Next week im going to tow the ski up to Inchagoill behind the RIB (I'm going camping there for the weekend) so ill go nuts then :)

Thats the spot. Don't forget the BBQ. The little hut at the pier on the island is dead handy. Never stayed over there. I would be suprised if you even met anybody out there these days.

cardoor wrote:
    Thats the spot. Don't forget the BBQ. The little hut at the pier on the island is dead handy. Never stayed over there. I would be suprised if you even met anybody out there these days.

4 weekends ago I did my 'usual' route (Volounteering rescue in my own RIB.. at my own damn expense!). Galway => Cong => Coor Na Mona => Hill of Doon => Maam, back to Inchagoill and then back to Galway. Not a sinner around!

The problem with Inchagoill is its getting too polluted. In the summer people flock there, and leave rubbish. I spend most weekends there during the summer, and people leave food (RATS!), and most annoyingly, disposable BBQ's. I burn as much as possible, but nearly alwys end up bringing back a black bag of rubbish. I'm probably the bigger fool for doing it, but I love the place and want to be able to go up there for years to come. You know, its funny. The fishermen blame the cruisers, but its the total opposite. The people in cruisers don't pollute the lake with 2stroke oil, and they take all their rubbish with them in the boat. However, the fishermen leave the BBQ's, food, general rubbish behind... Argh it boils the blood thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bigQ

Ah ya. Bring on the sunny weather again. Might watch the game back in oughterard on sunday weather permiting. Is inchagoill not infested with rats? Don't think I would camp out in it. Do you know where you can get a decent detailed map of the corrib, showing rocks and everything. Got one in a fishing tackle shop before but it wasn't great.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

Sorry for cutting across your thread, but I was also wondering about
    camping on some of the islands on the Corrib. I have always been told
    about the rats! Are any of the islands safe to camp on? Can you recomend
    one as better then another, keeping in mind that I would most likely have a group of scouts with me, and we are looking for a place to do a survival type
    weekend ie: no tents or gas !! Private property would be another problem, as
    I guess most of the islands are owned by someone. Many Thanks.

• Advertisement

When I first saw this, I thought you meant a borough like in new york.. and then I thought it was going to be about some 'hood where all the pimps and hoes are *ahem* knocknacarra :P

No, Inchagoill is not infested with rats.
    Yes, there *are* rats on Inchagoill but its not like they come and attack you. So long as you dont leave food lying about the place at night, wont wont see/hear any. Any leftover food you have, put it in a bag and hang it from a tree. No problem.

In regards to maps, the last 'proper' one was chartered in 1864 - Its a bit out dated to say the least, however its the only thing that we have to go on. I use GPS & Sounder now. Bear with me ill make you a copy of my ones, theyre better than those crappy fishing shop ones, the ones I use have the depth at least

cardoor - Just incase you may be interested, I did some research last night and came up with this:

http://www.powerboat.ie/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=106&d=1142346819

It is basicly the law outling JetSkis in Galway. Basicly it states that they are banned within the City Limits (Including all of River Corrib), but not Lough Corrib. So Jetskis are TOTALLY legal on Lough Corrib.

I will be making lots of copies of this, and always keep a laminated copy on my jetski to show to abusive fishermen... Just to p1ss them off even more

Information is Power:D

cardoor wrote:
    Information is Power:D

Aye, as it is ive to give a copy to the man who has the house by the pier at Collinamuck. In fairness he's a decent guy. He came out yapping that they were banned etc. I just though "another eejit" ... When I was finished I called into the house and explained that I wasnt being ignorant or cheeky, but just wanted to inform him that they werent actually banned from the lake. He was a nice guy and listened to what I said. Turns out he was merely trying to give me advise, rather than give out to me. I promised him id give him a copy of the by-law, so I will... And then ill launch the ski and have some fun on Saturday. If you're around ill be at Collinamuck/KnockFerry. If you have a wetsuit your welcome to give it a shot* :)

* However, if you bend, you mend!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 bigQ

Oughterard, pegs, ferry, greenfield :)

bigQ wrote:
    Oughterard, pegs, ferry, greenfield :)

Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

JohnCleary wrote:
    Eh?

Hes on about the Corrib Pub Crawl...Oughterard, onto Pegs Pub, onto Murphys in Kilbeg then onto Greenfields to the hotel/ Pub.

Oh right... crossing the lake by boat? I'd defo be up for it :)

Advertisement