Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT - a reminder

Options
  • 13-03-2006 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

I know I know, its been said before but just to refresh your memories....

While looking to purchase a new family car, I literally feel ill at the ripoff of the government yet again.....

My friend in Luxembourg's Audi A6 Avant Price list (not a cheap country by any means)
    http://www.audi.lu/modeles/a6/a6avant/moteurs.htm

Rep. of Ripoff's Audi pricelist
    http://www.audi.ie/audi/ie/en1/new_cars/a6/avant/pricing.html

Samples
    A6 TDI 2.0 140 bhp STD SPEC - Pre-OTR prices (inc local VAT LU 15%, IE 21%)

Luxembourg
    A6 Avant 2.0 TDI - 6 vitesses 140 €34,420
    Ireland
    A6 AVANT 2.0 TDI 140BHP 140 €51,090 (inc €14100 VRT)

And remember the STD SPEC in Ireland is less that STD SPEC in europe (smaller wheels, less 'extras', etc)

STATISTICAL CODE: 40585132
    MAKE: AUDI
    MODEL: A6 2.0 TDI (From Jun. 2004)
    VERSION: TDI 138BHP 05DR / ESTATE / MANUAL / DIESEL /
    MILEAGE: 100 MILES

DATE OF FIRST REGISTRATION(MM/YY): JANUARY 2006
    OPEN MARKET SELLING PRICE:
    (applicable on enquiry date) €47002
    RATE OF TAX: 30.0%
    VEHICLE REGISTRATION TAX:
    (payable on enquiry date) €14100

Lux
    A6 Avant 3,0 TDI - quattro 6 vitesses 225 42,690

Our Country
    A6 AVANT 3.0 TDI 225BHP QTTRO 225 €66,920

NO VRT calculation from our beloved calculator for this model
    https://www.ros.ie/VRTEnquiryServlet/showVRT

Nice country but jesus....

Government: :mad: "Who are you to complain, didnt we give you your DSL!?!?"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

yes but VRT is being spent so wisely............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Aww, a flipping Bargain of the century

Lux
    RS4 4,2 - quattro - 6 vitesses 420 € 69,000

Rep of Ripoff
    RS4 4.2FSI 420BHP 6-SPEED 420 €104,130

only 35 k in the different, shure that must be the currency conversion from Real Euro to Irish Euro.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Im sure the Irish version of these cars also has less air bags and other safty devices. Trying to keep you children alive is taxed as a luxury in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Check our the Citroen C8. I know it is only an MPV but check out the difference between the top spec in the UK and the top spec here.

I compare cars quite a bit since moving down here but the amount of items which are standard in the UK car but are extra or simply not available at all in the Irish version is staggering.

The VRT calculator put the VRT oayable at around 14k but that is well below what you would have to pay. The top spec car you can choose in the calculator has only a fractio of what the UK car has so once you go for the inspection you will get a good raping.

Ice Box, I agree. Taxing safety features designed to help people stay alive in an accident would be bad in a normal country. In this country, with driving standards as bad as they are and road deaths as high as they are, it is criminal. Absolutely dispicable.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

What people need to be really asking is why the OMSP is calculated on a figure given by SIMI, surely it's anti competitive to have the business most likely to lose out from people importing their cars from abroad setting the price at which these imports will be taxed on?

• Advertisement

Should we ask the IFA or the ICA for the open market selling price of a car? Surely the SIMI are the people most likely to know

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Interesting article in todays Indo on a related topic.

It lists some cards that are actually cheaper to buy here than in other European countries (not that many, mind you).

Another interesting point was that if you buy a car in Europe, they are apparently obliged to supply you a right-hand drive. Do that, pay the barely legal VRT and you still save yourself a few grand, it says.

not entirely accurate. Irish dealers pre-tax prices are very low

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Ba$tard wrote:

My friend in Luxembourg's Audi A6 Avant Price list (not a cheap country by any means)"

Actually despite being so wealthy it's not all that expensive a place. I'm just back from 2 nights there and I certainly would end up spending more if I travelled to Dublin.

Dublin Airport - chicken roll: 6.25
    Lux airport - big plate of frites & pichet (carafe) of wine - 4.45 (pic in the blog)

500ml beer in a pub (brought to your table) - 3.50
    Litre Bottle of Jameson (airport) : 14.65 (!!!)

Advertisement