Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just when you thought you couldn't be more ashamed

Options
  • 13-03-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

As if the glossy ads, tacky radio spots, paint by numbers crest, and cringe inducing acronym wasn't enough...

Check this sh** out: http://www.ucd.ie/creditcardpoll/

I feel dirty, and not at all in the good way.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

Oh. Good. God.

/runs for nearest cliff

I like how the third fountain pic was taken from Hugh Brady's boardroom.

**edit, due to later thoughts: nyeh. What you gonna do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

/me pukes into the lake

Sorry, but that... abomination...

/me pukes into the lake again

Oh. Good. God.

/runs for nearest cliff

I like how the third fountain pic was taken from Hugh Brady's boardroom.
    That said, I'd get one.

/prepares for backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This isn't a college, it just isn't, anyone who says otherwise is a filthy liar!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

That said, I'd get one.

/prepares for backlash

Really? Why?

It's so tacky. It's so... not what a university should be about.

• Advertisement

Really? Why?

It's so tacky. It's so... not what a university should be about.
    No, you're right, it's not what it should be about, but it doesn't impede in the day-to-day running of the University's academic activities. It's just a nice gesture. You could argue that producing branded hoodies isn't what a University is about either - and it's not. But it doesn't mean that it's going off-track by making UCD hoodies.

I like UCD, I have no problem allieging myself to it. In fact, I have pride in doing so. So it wouldn't bother me if I could have a credit card with a picture of the fountains on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i want one of those cards, where can i apply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

UGGGHHHH...But I suppose if the money made from it goes back to help provide more resources for students then its not too bad.

[The design with the water tower is **** isnt it!

Scraggs wrote:
    Very. :cool:

No, you're right, it's not what it should be about, but it doesn't impede in the day-to-day running of the University's academic activities. It's just a nice gesture. You could argue that producing branded hoodies isn't what a University is about either - and it's not. But it doesn't mean that it's going off-track by making UCD hoodies.

I like UCD, I have no problem allieging myself to it. In fact, I have pride in doing so. So it wouldn't bother me if I could have a credit card with a picture of the fountains on it.

I'm not saying we should march to Brady's house with placards yelling 'down with this sort of thing.'

But the idea of ucd vanity credit cards make me feel... icky. It's symptomatic of an administration that has forgotten what it means to be a university. It bothers me that someone in a meeting said, hey, I think it would be neat if we could have ucd credit cards.

And, now that I think of it, it bothers me that they think its important that students vote on what kind of credit cards they produce whereas we had to fight tooth and nail to get real consultation on modularisation and semestrisation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Scraggs wrote:
    Positively phallic tbh...

Which is bad, obviously.

It bothers me that someone in a meeting said, hey, I think it would be neat if we could have ucd credit cards.

And, now that I think of it, it bothers me that they think its important that students vote on what kind of credit cards they produce...
    Tbh I'm surprised they didn't have them before.

And where did you find the link to that? Obviously they ought to consult students on the bigger stuff too, don't get me wrong, but the S&M thing is a large, intricate process. Choosing one design from six is far easier for a web-based poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭elmyra

Tbh I'm surprised they didn't have them before.

And where did you find the link to that? Obviously they ought to consult students on the bigger stuff too, don't get me wrong, but the S&M thing is a large, intricate process. Choosing one design from six is far easier for a web-based poll.

hehehehehe

It bothers me that someone in a meeting said, hey, I think it would be neat if we could have ucd credit cards.

As far as I know people/uni's/organisations/companies etc. are approached by the credit card companies.... UCD is most likely getting money from this similar to charities that have 'branded' credit cards. Its what they [UCD folks]are doing with the money is the important thing imo. Like if its being squandered and being used to line someones pocket rather than improve the University as a whole then it is an absolute disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

i think trinity have this type of thing too. i remember being handed trinity credit cards before in work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

UCD Cola is on its way, fact.

scop wrote:
    UCD Cola is on its way, fact.
    Hope it's not bottled in Columbia.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Anyone who actuallys cares about this is a loser. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

There's always been a UCD Alumni Visa card. It's aimed at graduates and offers low rates etc. I have one. Has the old ucd logo on it.

Actually think some of those designs look much nicer than the current one.

irlrobins wrote:
    There's always been a UCD Alumni Visa card. It's aimed at graduates and offers low rates etc. I have one. Has the old ucd logo on it.

Actually think some of those designs look much nicer than the current one.
    That was why I asked where the link came from - it seems more like a staff or alumni thing rather than asking the everyday undergrad to vote on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

But the idea of ucd vanity credit cards make me feel... icky. It's symptomatic of an administration that has forgotten what it means to be a university.

Trinity have had them for years

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

My parents work both work in UCD and have had them for years.
    It's not a new thing.

Current UCD Visa Card.

The old one is nicer.

My 'yuck' feeling remains, doesn't matter how new the idea is.

I'm ragin ya smudged the numbers I was hopin to do some shopping!! Oh well maybe another time...

Scraggs wrote:
    I'm ragin ya smudged the numbers
    Only one of us is blonde darling.... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

As has been said, Trinity and UCD have had them for years. It's not a bad idea, but is there nothing in UCD other than a concrete water tower and 3 small fountains? The old one was fine, as is the Trinity one, but the new one needs a picture you'd be proud to let people see. If you used that card in public people would at best think you like ducks and at worst watersports. What's wrong with just using the new crest or even one of the buildings such as Quinn or Robuck?

gilroyb wrote:
    or even one of the buildings such as Quinn or Robuck?

They prob want to make it as generic as possible. I wouldn't want a pic of Quinn on my card. I'm an Eng/Sci student and I'd feel it was a Comm card if it did.

Edit in bold

irlrobins wrote:
    They prob want to make it as generic as possible. I would want a pic of Quinn on my card. I'm an Eng/Sci student and I'd feel it was a Comm card if it did.
    Words right out of my mouth... they need something that everyone in the University can identify with and for most that's either the Lake or the Water Tower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Point taken, I hadn't really thought it through. Not a UCD student myself and it hadn't occurred to me how it needs to be generic. The Trinity one is the Library or the Campenelle, but that makes sense because it means the same for all. If it was a nice picture of the fountains/lake from further away it would be ok, but it just seems to lack the stature that it should have as a statement of somewhere one can be proud of.

Before anyone says it I really amn't getting at UCD, just that I'm sure there is a scene somewhere on campus that would at least give an interesting picture.

Advertisement