Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

basmati

• 13-03-2006 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Is basmati rice white only?.White rice is generally not recommended for healthy eating but basmati is.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I think Basmati rice has a low GI index.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

It does indeed Enii, much lower than brown and wholegrain rice. You can, however, have the best of booth worlds by buying the wholegrain basmati available in healthfood stores and George's St. Arcade in dublin. They also do brown arborio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can also get brown basmati, I have eaten it, I prefer white but brown basmati is acceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

When cooked right, good quality basmati is one of the great joys in life. I'd rather die early from eating too much white rice than bother with brown rice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Shabadu wrote:
    It does indeed Enii, much lower than brown and wholegrain rice.
    !

I got hooked on this stuff (gorgeous rice), and I was feeling guilty because I thought I should be eating brown instead. :)

• Advertisement

I know, it made me \o/ when I found out. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Galvia

Brown basmati can be delicious, depending upon how cooked and seasoned. A Pakistani friend cooked some along with a chicken-vegie bob. Yum!

Galvia wrote:
    Brown basmati can be delicious, depending upon how cooked and seasoned. A Pakistani friend cooked some along with a chicken-vegie bob. Yum!

What is a bob Galvia? Is it like a Pakastani byriani? Do you have any recipes? Google is not forthcoming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭dollyclare

frobisher wrote:
    When cooked right, good quality basmati is one of the great joys in life. I'd rather die early from eating too much white rice than bother with brown rice.
    I agree.I eat wholegrain brown rice cause its good for me.But I don't even like it.I'm going to try some basmati white and then search out their brown version.Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cook a few cups of rice in the normal fashion but add a cinnamon stick and 3 cardomom pods and a Tbsp of oil.
    mmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

this is the way an indian told me to cook basmati, for every cup of rice, use 1.5 cups of boiling water, also wash the rice 3 or 4 times before cooking to get starch off.

30kg bag of half decent basmati is only about 24 euro.

also get a rice cooker, makes it so easy to cook

tilda is the best rice you can get it is double the price of standard basmati.

ronan

Advertisement