Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

meaning of words

Options
  • 13-03-2006 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

What do these mean-Syriana(film) Sacrianna(song by Aslan) SNAFU(acronym)
    Jonesing/Jonsing for(heard on tv prog Lost.)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I only know SNAFU, it always reminds me of the Beano when Dennis the Menace *snaffled* a jam tart from someones window sill. However it has nothing to do with that:

SNAFU = Situation Normal, All F*cked Up. (I think it comes from the US military when they took a beating in Vietnam, but I could be wrong)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

A jonesing for means wants. I'm jonesing for the next episode of Lost (or "i have a jonesing for").

Comes from keeping up with the Jones', I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dollyclare wrote:
    What do these mean-Syriana(film)

Title

The movie's title is somewhat ambiguous. Some have suggested that it comes from Pax Syriana, as an allusion to the necessary state of peace between Syria and the U.S. as it relates to the oil business. In a December 2005 interview, Baer told NPR that the title is a metaphor for foreign intervention in the Middle East, referring to post-World War II think tank strategic studies for the creation of an artificial state (such as Iraq, created from the elements of the former Ottoman Empire) that would ensure continued western access to crude oil. From the movie's website [2]: "'Syriana' is a very real term used by Washington think-tanks to describe a hypothetical reshaping of the Middle East...". In an online discussion with The Washington Post in November 2005 [3], Gaghan said he saw Syriana as "a great word that could stand for man's perpetual hope of remaking any geographic region to suit his own needs."

Wikipedia entry

Advertisement