Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need router with strong & wide ranging signal

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

i needed to boost the signal to my dad's office (in the garage about 20m away from the house) so I bought two Motorolla WR850G routers and set them to bridge/access point mode. works like a charm. they were cheap too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks exactiv, can you explain a little further?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭exactiv

Well. If you get your hands on two of the above mentioned units, you need to set them up within range of each other. You then configure them to bridge/access point mode (all of this is in the manual anyway). What happens is Unit One (which in my case is in the house and hooked upto the broadband) broadcasts like a normal access point and as well as this it creates a link to Unit Two (in the garage) which also broadcasts like a normal access point. As long as you set the SSID, wep/wpa & channel the same on both units your computer will detect only one accesspoint and connect to the strongest signal (usually whichever access point is closer).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

OK cool that sounds good. At the moment I have a Linksys WRK54G - can I get something to just add to this or do I have to dump it and get 2 of WR850G routers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

You might find replacing the antenna on the router with a high gain one might work better

• Advertisement

Cheers Irlrobins I have sen that before but how much boots so you actually get about of them? I don;t want to but it and find it does not work... At the moment I need it to get 2 rooms further.... do you think it will work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

i bought one of these to fit to a linksys pci wireless card. Without the antenna the card would not pick up a signal at all. Once I added the high gain it picked up the signal with no problem. There was quite a distance between it and nearest AP, so it should cover the two rooms.

No guarantee though. What works in one location might bbut not work in another. Factors such as wall material, signal interference etc make no two setups the same.

Have you updated the router to the latest firmware. I have a WRT54G and it's range was not as good with the firmware it shipped with. Flashed it to the latest version and it's range increased.

There are also third party firmware that will allow you to tweak the power output of the router. Maybe try one of these?

Advertisement