Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where for a good long ladder

Options
  • 13-03-2006 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on where to buy a decent long ladder to give me access to the gutters at the top of my house.

I will also need that Spacing device to give me access over the gutters...

Any advice/recommendations are welcomed.

Thanks

Redman

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

i bought one of these just before christmas. i got it in argos. my problem was trying to get one of these home! argos did free delivery in the dublin area so it suited me fine. my husband used it recently to clean the gutters and it worked a treat. they said when i went in to order it that it would take up to four weeks to deliver. i had it delivered after 2 days!!! more than happy. think it was about 170 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

thanks for that , the longest they do from what I can see is 4.7m which is about 15.5ft but I think I will need about double that to get up to my gutters.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Most hardware stores should have them - B&Q, Atlantic Homecare, etc.

I find Stradbally ladders quite strong and sturdy. Not sure what shops stock them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Avoid the DIY shops and go to a good builders providers.

The problem with having a long ladder is that it need a large enough shed to store it in - not an option in many modern urban houses. Most tool hire places won't hire them anymore (presumably for insurance reasons).

Yes I intend to keep it outside attached (&locked) to one of our long garden walls.

Woodies online have a Stradbally 4Mtr for €175, but presume that if it is three lengths that will go up to 12 mtrs? Their pictures of the Stradbally ladders are all the same:rolleyes: , so hard to tell.
    http://www.woodiesdiy.com/search.aspx?loc=S&sv=ladder&sort=0&sdir=asc&pg=3

Would still need to find the attachment to keep me away from the wall, will try a builders provider.

Thanks

Redman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Redman, try Valentine Ladders in Ballymount 01 4500150. They supply to most builders providers so might as well buy from them direct. Alternatively try some of the scaffolding companies. They normally have a range of ladders in stock.

thanks for that , got to their website and will take their advice.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

You could always rent one. I think the large ones are a bit of a waste to buy if you're only going to use it every couple of years to clean the gutters.

Don't want to rent as I will be using it for a good few other tasks, like painting the window ledges, scraping and painting the downpipes etc... :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭tabatha

just after looking at the argos catalouge. the ladder i bought before christams is no longer in it. they must have taken it out when the new catalouge came out. mine is 4m long. to big for my shed also! i bought these ladder hooks in b&q that have locks on them so you can hang them on the wall and lock them in. great idea. sorry about recommending argos when they dont even do it anymore :)

• Advertisement

Thanks anyway tabatha !

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

FYI the accessory you want is called a "stand-off"
    Using one of these will require moving the ladder further away from the wall so it might not be possible to use it around the side of the house (if you are in an estate for example)

Cheers Greebo

Thanks all and especially Squire1 - bought a ladder with a "stand off" from Valentines this morning. Happy with the price and being delivered for free aswell.
    :)
    Regards

Redman

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Happy laddering

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

squire1 wrote:
    Happy laddering
    lol, I read that as "happy landing":D

Advertisement