Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over-rated show ever

• 13-03-2006 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I know Ill get slated for this here. I have been doing my best to follow Lost since around 1/2 way through series 1. I do know the whole story from before that. The only reason I watched is because of the hype.

How this show is so popular is beyond me. It is just soooo drawn out. Each episode has 25 mins material in it. I think its just a money spinner at this stage.

I dont think its a terrible program or anything. I still watch a fair bit but thats more of a reflection on the general standard of TV. I think it would be a lot better if not so drawn out.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

I await the day when they say "Previously on Lost", and then show the entire last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Frank OJ

lol - brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

IMO,Sopranos is the most overrated show ever,its good,just not that good.

Lost is that good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I think LOST is amazing because its so original. Nothing like it before and thats why its doing so well.

I like Lost as it is the first show to use every type of medium available to make the show deeper. It uses television (the show itself), literature (with the Lost books, and the book called, "The Evil Twin"), and also the internet (with sites like the oceanic-air.com). Each one of these offers us easter eggs, that draw us deeper and deeper into the story line. The characters are well crafted, you actually feel alongside them. I have to admit that (possible spoiler alert as I cannot remember whether this is from series 1 or 2) when Charlie was strung up to die, I gasped and shouted, "not Charlie!". The story, even though completely and utterly.. bizzare, still seems somewhat plausible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Maxwell

As much as I like the show - the way 1 episode can actually produce nothing new to the story is quite frustrating as the original poster has a legitimate reason for his opinon on it as it is being shared by many people I know and work with. Im wondering whether this is going to go on for too many series and will completely mess up the original first seasons interest.

Maxwell wrote:
    As much as I like the show - the way 1 episode can actually produce nothing new to the story is quite frustrating as the original poster has a legitimate reason for his opinon on it as it is being shared by many people I know and work with. Im wondering whether this is going to go on for too many series and will completely mess up the original first seasons interest.

To be completely honest, my interest in the first season wavered towards the end, and I stopped watching it completely. Then people in the college started getting series 2 (sorry if i shouldn't say that, but i wont say where) and I began watching it. It is series 2 that brought my interest around fullcircle, and now I am completely and utterly hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

logik wrote:
    Nothing like it before and thats why its doing so well.

You need to watch a lot more sci-fi :p

There is nothing in Lost that hasn't been done a thousand times before on shows such as the Other Limits, Twilight Zone, The Prisioner and countless other mystery sci-fi shows.

The only thing Lost is doing that is particularly original is throwing money at the series, with gets good writers, good directors, good actors and high production values.

Far play to ABC for moving a mystery sci-fi show into a mainstream audience and while it deserves respect for what it does, it isn't that original at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I like Lost as it is the first show to use every type of medium available to make the show deeper. It uses television (the show itself), literature (with the Lost books, and the book called, "The Evil Twin"), and also the internet (with sites like the oceanic-air.com).

Certainly not the first there by a long shot. Babylon 5 for example has books that link between episodes and cover parts that were never really explained. Eg. The Londo /TechnoMages and PSI Corps triologies. Technomage one even overlaps into Crusade series and explains some weird things in that short lived series.

Dr Who (latest one) used numerous websites to build the storyline and linked some of them into the series.
    the way 1 episode can actually produce nothing new to the story is quite frustrating

Its not so much that, it is that when you get somewhat of a solution to one thing you are given 20 so new puzzles to wonder what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

logik wrote:
    I think LOST is amazing because its so original. Nothing like it before and thats why its doing so well.

You really are missing huge amounts of stories out there if you think this is original and there was nothing like it before.

The one thing that has to be said about the story and how it moves along is it is completely unrealistic and gone way too far beyond suspession of disbelief.

People don't act in this way or talk in this way. THe whole fact they called the ship "black rock" so we think they are going to a rock but no surprise it is a ship!

The "others" and any reference by people who see them. Nobody says who or what they are. What do people do they just happily accept the name and never ask for more detail or when they do nobody says anything so they drop it.

Jack lets the guy in the hatch go, nobody would have let him go as he might know more.

Dangers mentioned suddenly disappear such as the smokers are coming and then no mention of the night they were all affraid of.

When they are walking towards the bunker (with people who maybe the others) they say there is 23 of them but once they go in the sudden reveal shows that is not the case. Why would anybody say there are 23 of us but there aren't.

It is getting predictiable that there is a twist with everyhting you learn so you expect them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

As ppl metioned earlier ''lost'' has been done before with shows that are mentioned above. Maybe the originality feel is down to the show being mainstream and based on ordinary, everyday humans(with lots of back storys to them of course!)

Personally i'd wouldn't watch battle star galactica etc because i would feel it's too sci-fi, Where as lost appealed to me because of its ordinary everyday beginings..i.e plane crash etc. Thats my tupence woth anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Dapos

Lad's the fact that ye are debating it shows it's doing something right. I think it is original (even if the material isn't the way it is told is) and to be fair any show that can have so many people addicted to it must be doing a lot of stuff right. I know where a lot of people are coming from with it being frustrating to watch sometimes because nothing happens but we still watch it. I think it's brill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I dont think you can say that Lost is all that orginal. There have been other shows based around the same theme. Battlestar Galatic is similar in theme to this show its just Sci-fi and Lost could be considered sci-fi if were to beleive the hype. sorry the about the pun.

I think this season has suffered much more so from season one. Really the first 4 episodes of this serie where an extended version of Previously On Lost.......

I hope it gets better for its sake. I think the acting is good and the scripts can be very good. The Story needs to move along at a faster pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

@Morning Star : You are SO right. It really annoys me the way people don't ask questions about anything. All your examples were ones I was thinking of. Especially just letting Desmond go - it's ridiculous!

Also (as people have said) Lost is nothing exceptionally origional because it's been done on many OLD sci-fi programs. That's the thing - it hasn't been done lately, although a lot of the features have to be said ARE origional...but not the general idea.

That said, i think it's a wonderful program..and the best around at the moment, apart from a few competators like Invasion, Desperate Housewives etc. That's why i don't think lost is over rated. Name some current programs that are better than Lost? It's a personal opinion but when you try, you'll see what i mean.

Maybe it's because I'm a Lost fanatic but i don't think it's overrated at all. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Maybe it's because I'm a Lost fanatic but i don't think it's overrated at all. :o

Ditto, good point btw

@Morning Star : You are SO right. It really annoys me the way people don't ask questions about anything. All your examples were ones I was thinking of. Especially just letting Desmond go - it's ridiculous!

How can you love it so much if you see the whole story is based on people acting so unlike how people do?

The whole series is very like Memento especially the Sawyer killing. THe big difference is instead of being able to use an actual reason (medical condition) they just remove people asking questions and/or asking them.

THe destiny is this series won't have an ending like similar series Prisoner and Twin Peaks. Lost should have got a better theme tune at least but they others were original in a real sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Most over-rated show ever? No...

That'd be Desperate Housewives - feckin' pish!

Hobbes wrote:
    Certainly not the first there by a long shot. Babylon 5 for example has books that link between episodes and cover parts that were never really explained. Eg. The Londo /TechnoMages and PSI Corps triologies. Technomage one even overlaps into Crusade series and explains some weird things in that short lived series.

Dr Who (latest one) used numerous websites to build the storyline and linked some of them into the series.

Its not so much that, it is that when you get somewhat of a solution to one thing you are given 20 so new puzzles to wonder what is going on.

But how many of those shows used all those mediums simultaneously?

basquille wrote:

That'd be Desperate Housewives - feckin' pish!

Yup, watched the whole first series tho, on dvd, it was interesting enough, i had nothing else to do, wasnt interested in the second season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Atrocity

Lost is not some big intellectual in-joke. It's unbelievably cheesy and boring.

I know how to convince you that it's crap. Just give me 7 hours and a few flashbacks of me sitting on the toilet

• Advertisement

Atrocity wrote:

I know how to convince you that it's crap. Just give me 7 hours and a few flashbacks of me sitting on the toilet

speak for yourself, what are you into then?

Oh here we go! Even if I liked Nationwide, Shortland Street and Balamory, it wouldn't have any impact on this topic.

Atrocity wrote:
    Oh here we go! Even if I liked Nationwide, Shortland Street and Balamory, it wouldn't have any impact on this topic.

the topic is most overated show on tv, so surely any show could be relevent

It's in the Lost forum! No, it's just I've had that thing before, where you criticise Lost and the people who disagree come back with criticisms of other things you like. Seems pretty pointless.

If we're discussing overrated, how about Balamory. That camp policeman freaks me out. Seems the only mystery he has yet to solve is the mystery of his sexuality.

Atrocity wrote:
    If we're discussing overrated, how about Balamory. That camp policeman freaks me out. Seems the only mystery he has yet to solve is the mystery of his sexuality.

Im not trying to criticize you, was just interested to see what you liked

What's Balamory anyway?

Oh just some silly kids show.

No fair enough, each to their own and all. I watched some of the first season by the way, and I tried with the second season but it wasn't my cup of tea. What annoyed me was when I told people I didn't really like it, they said I wouldn't like it because I didnt understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Scoops

To be completely honest, my interest in the first season wavered towards the end, and I stopped watching it completely. Then people in the college started getting series 2 (sorry if i shouldn't say that, but i wont say where) and I began watching it. It is series 2 that brought my interest around fullcircle, and now I am completely and utterly hooked

I agree, it wavered towards the end of season one and the beginning of season two wasn't great but I am untterly hooked on it now. I think it's excellent although there is the fear that there will be too many series and in the end no one will care what the story is - like the x files.

Atrocity wrote:
    Oh just some silly kids show.

No fair enough, each to their own and all. I watched some of the first season by the way, and I tried with the second season but it wasn't my cup of tea. What annoyed me was when I told people I didn't really like it, they said I wouldn't like it because I didnt understand it.

True, second season has beenn considerably weaker than the first, and it is very annoying how they wont give an explanation for the numbers, it wilkl probably be dragged for too long, they should try wrap it up this season- they need to do something big

I don't think I'm patient enough to watch and watch just to understand little bits along the way, that's why I was so frustrated.

• Advertisement

Atrocity wrote:
    I don't think I'm patient enough to watch and watch just to understand little bits along the way, that's why I was so frustrated.
    lol, but youd probably get into it if you watched it the whole way, u could try watch that Lost sum up ep, it's 40 or so mins and does all season 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Atrocity wrote:

No it's not a big intellectual in joke, I have seen few thing that can compare to the Episodes 'Walkabout' and 'Man of science man of faith', really excellently made T.V.
    If you don't follow lost fully you're in no position to make a coomment on it's quality in my opinion. Viewers need to be fully up to date to appreciate the show. The characters having interlinked backstroies and new characters being added coupled with the shows increasing plot complexity makes it easy for the casual viewer to miss out on vital elements and underestimate wildly the greatness of the show.
    A lot of questions concerning character behaviour (i.e why they don't discuss Island events instantly with one another) are still out to be explainedand developed. I acknowledge that there have been some poor episode during season 1 and season 2 (esp middle of season) but overall it's Thoroughly engaging television that has created a mythology and cult so huge that it will easily persevere and become a classic show.
    Atrocity wrote:

eh....?

Amen!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

How can people be pissed off because the characters don't 'act' like normal people and ask questions all the time etc??? If shows like lost followed what normal people would do, it would be pure sh1te. There has to be some license with the writers to allow plots to develop etc. Maybe Desmond had to escape for a reason which will come apparent later on in the show. Maybe people don't question everything because the writers want to keep some of the mystery alive. If we apply real world logic to TV, where's the enjoyment? If Jack floated on Air and Kate took her head off every now and then, then you could question the 'real' feel to the show. As it is, things happen for a reason and you can't expect every event to result in a 'real world' reaction.

Anything can be analysed and assessed and made out to be a big complex psychological masterpiece. I'm sure Fair City consists of complex interwoven characters as well. Bela is a mystery wrapped in a big cloud of tears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Maybe they don't tell each other everything or insist on getting more answers because 1. They really don't know wach other that well at all,do they really trust everyone after 2 months? Especially after the group was inflitrated. Secondly why ask so many questions of they just want to get off the island?I presume people still hope of just getting off than really wanting to live there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Atrocity wrote:
    Anything can be analysed and assessed and made out to be a big complex psychological masterpiece. I'm sure Fair City consists of complex interwoven characters as well. Bela is a mystery wrapped in a big cloud of tears.

ah fair city....that makes laugh and cry at the same time

LFCFan wrote:
    How can people be pissed off because the characters don't 'act' like normal people and ask questions all the time etc??? If shows like lost followed what normal people would do, it would be pure sh1te. There has to be some license with the writers to allow plots to develop etc. Maybe Desmond had to escape for a reason which will come apparent later on in the show. Maybe people don't question everything because the writers want to keep some of the mystery alive. If we apply real world logic to TV, where's the enjoyment? If Jack floated on Air and Kate took her head off every now and then, then you could question the 'real' feel to the show. As it is, things happen for a reason and you can't expect every event to result in a 'real world' reaction.

Actually I think you find most shows are based on how people react to situations that are unsual. The whole suspension of disbelief. War of the Worlds is great example of showing how normal people react to a situation. THe licence you talk about is the suspension of disbelief but it has a limit. Stories are about how people react. Desmond didn't escape that would have made sense Jack let him go after which he then spends time checking out the magnet room to find out the truth and returns back to his realty mode. One or two of these incidents of unreality are fine but there 2 or 3 in every episode. Don't forget the whole island and presmise is so unreal that compounded with people not acting like humans. They even poke fun at it like the guy who got blown up asking about how Hugo stays so fat. That is basically how they deal with it blow people up or ignore them. I don't expect every event to have a real world reaction but I do expect people to act like people not aliens.

I suggest you watch "Adaptation" and "Memento". Showing how a non linear story can be told without the removal of normal human behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Silage

I really don't understand you people coming on to a lost forum and slagging lost off. You hate it that much that you want other people to hate it with you? So you come on here and let rip, trying to persuade us Lost fanatics to question our interest. This is really childish and stupid.

As already said, if you don't follow the show, how can you explain to us why we shouldn't watch it? And if you force yourself to watch the show while hating it, low and behold, you will still hate it when you've finished. So do us a favour and let us watch it with content.

As for me I'm really enjoying the show, as with season 1 i find myself making sure i have nothin to do come 10 o' clock.

I watch the show but I can still be critical of the show. When confronted with people going oveboard on how unique it is and brilliant it is I can't stand by. It isn't that original or that well written. If it was well written the characters would be believable in the real world.

I watch the show but I can still be critical of the show. When confronted with people going oveboard on how unique it is and brilliant it is I can't stand by. It isn't that original or that well written. If it was well written the characters would be believable in the real world.

Sometimes unbeilvable characters can be good. But in saying that I don't really care if any of them are ever found.

I think some of the characters are very strong in this series. Kate, Hurley, Jin, Locke etc can have very good back stories.

Fine last few back stories haven't been all that important but they will hopefully get better.

I still think back stories are more important then whats on the Island.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote:
    Sometimes unbeilvable characters can be good. But in saying that I don't really care if any of them are ever found.

I think you are mixing up unbelivable reactions with character. Superman is an unbeliebale character as we don't know any super powered aliens exist. If he heard Lois Lane is tied to train tracks and he did nothing that would be unbelivable reaction.
    Jack is all cool headed and logical then he just lets Desmond go. This is the problem. You are stuck on an Island and you are a ware of other people on it but you don't seek them out. You build a raft and don't check the island out before you go out into the ocean. There is a big ship and you call it by its name not making people think it is a rock. You see somebody blown up by dynamite and rather than be responsible for some supplies you decide to risk your life getting said dynamite and bringing it close to other people. The odd element of it is fine but it is too many.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Jack is all cool headed and logical then he just lets Desmond go.
    In what way would he have the authority or the power to keep someone there against their will? Ok, he could lock him up etc but as you said, he's a level headed, calm individual as we found out with the Henry Gale incident. Letting Desmond go seems fairly rational to me, seeing as they are on an island and there's not much he could do to leave it.
    You are stuck on an Island and you are a ware of other people on it but you don't seek them out.
    The Others on the island have already shown themselves to be ruthless and not the type of people to seek out. So why would they go looking for them? Seems to be that not looking for trouble is more of a normal human reaction.
    You build a raft and don't check the island out before you go out into the ocean.
    They've been to a lot of places on the Island and they are now desperate to escape from it. Why would they prolong the agony? There's also the fact that the teacher told them if they waited much longer, the tide/wind would change and they'd have to wait even longer to leave. This again seems very rational.
    There is a big ship and you call it by its name not making people think it is a rock.
    The French bird has been on the Island for years. She killed her shipmates, her daughter was kidnapped and she's had to survive without the Others catching her. I don't think we can expect her to be acting 'normally'. Also, if she just came straight out with it being a ship, there wouldn't have been much of a surprise when we find out a ship is that far inland now would we?
    You see somebody blown up by dynamite and rather than be responsible for some supplies you decide to risk your life getting said dynamite and bringing it close to other people.
    They are desperate at this stage. They know 'the others' are coming and they think their only escape is through the hatch. People can do some fairly abnormal things when in a situation like that.
    The odd element of it is fine but it is too many.
    Like I've pointed out above, normalcy goes out the window when you've been in a serious plane crash, people are dying, psychos are after you and your desperate for escape.

Jack is all cool headed and logical then he just lets Desmond go. This is the problem. You are stuck on an Island and you are a ware of other people on it but you don't seek them out. You build a raft and don't check the island out before you go out into the ocean. There is a big ship and you call it by its name not making people think it is a rock. You see somebody blown up by dynamite and rather than be responsible for some supplies you decide to risk your life getting said dynamite and bringing it close to other people. The odd element of it is fine but it is too many.

Jack is the worst character in the series. He was supposed to be killed of in the first season.

They have searched for people on the Island. Saiad (sp?) mapped the Island and They all tried to get a radio signal. Locke has gone hunting on the Island he prob knows more then he lets on.

Each of the characters involved in building the raft where getting fed up, they wanted to get home they didn't care about the Island. Not everyone wanted the raft, remember.

What is the big ship about? ? ? ?

The dynamite situation was a bit of slapstick but I will agree that it was total out of place. And reactions where not good, I have to say I over looked the reaction.

As I said before the series needs to have strong back stories, I find them more interesting then what’s happening on the Island.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

basquille wrote:

Ehh! Actually quite possibly

LFCFan wrote:
    In what way would he have the authority or the power to keep someone there against their will?
    He had a gun! THere is authority of power. If there are dangers out there Jack should have held him for jis own safety.
    LFCFan wrote:
    The Others on the island have already shown themselves to be ruthless and not the type of people to seek out.
    Not really it is mostly according to the mad french woman

LFCFan wrote:
    They've been to a lot of places on the Island and they are now desperate to escape from it. Why would they prolong the agony? There's also the fact that the teacher told them if they waited much longer, the tide/wind would change and they'd have to wait even longer to leave. This again seems very rational.
    A very slight maybe there

LFCFan wrote:
    The French bird has been on the Island for years. She killed her shipmates, her daughter was kidnapped and she's had to survive without the Others catching her. I don't think we can expect her to be acting 'normally'. Also, if she just came straight out with it being a ship, there wouldn't have been much of a surprise when we find out a ship is that far inland now would we?
    When they saw the boat they didn't say anyhting like hey it's not a rock it's a boat

LFCFan wrote:
    They are desperate at this stage. They know 'the others' are coming and they think their only escape is through the hatch. People can do some fairly abnormal things when in a situation like that.
    I was talking about the 2nd time Hugo goes and get it to blow up the supplies they found. What ever happened that night as you say they were all worried and paniced yet the next morning nobody mentions it? Nothing happened and after panicing nobody is even glad nothing happened?
    LFCFan wrote:
    Like I've pointed out above, normalcy goes out the window when you've been in a serious plane crash, people are dying, psychos are after you and your desperate for escape.
    Normalcy of events is acceptable it is people's reaction that are the problem. It's the cohesion of the events that is strained by saying oit is a mystery is an easy lazy way to get out of writing people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

He had a gun! THere is authority of power. If there are dangers out there Jack should have held him for jis own safety.

But for all Jack knows, Desmond could be an Other, or bad in some way or other. Bringing him back to the camp, or the hatch, could potentially put everyone in danger. Plus Desmond had been on the island for years and, before Kelvin died, he probably got to know it a bit.

Not really it is mostly according to the mad french woman

No it's not. The Others stole Walt, infiltrated theirs and the tailies camps, took loads of the tailies, kidnapped Claire and Charlie and left Charlie hanging from a tree, and threatned to take even more serious action if the survivors crossed a certain point.

A very slight maybe there

Nope, that's pretty much a definate.

When they saw the boat they didn't say anyhting like hey it's not a rock it's a boat

That's because the name of the ship was clearly shown on the hull as "Black Rock" so it became self- explanitory immediately. Also, they were pretty shocked at the fact that a big ass boat was sitting squat bang about 3 miles inland

I was talking about the 2nd time Hugo goes and get it to blow up the supplies they found. What ever happened that night as you say they were all worried and paniced yet the next morning nobody mentions it? Nothing happened and after panicing nobody is even glad nothing happened?

I'm not entirely clear on what you're talking about here.
    Normalcy of events is acceptable it is people's reaction that are the problem. It's the cohesion of the events that is strained by saying oit is a mystery is an easy lazy way to get out of writing people

The cohesion of the events isn't strained if you think about it properly and in detail. Also, a lot happens on Lost, you can't expect them to deal with every emotion that every character feels in detail.

Faith wrote:
    But for all Jack knows, Desmond could be an Other, or bad in some way or other. Bringing him back to the camp, or the hatch, could potentially put everyone in danger. Plus Desmond had been on the island for years and, before Kelvin died, he probably got to know it a bit.
    AS far as Jack knew Desmond was in the chamber the whole time according to Desmond. Jack had a guy who may or may not known more and hada gun on him. Jack let him go at risk to the person (AFAHK). I though desomnd was found the day he crashed and brought straight in?

Faith wrote:
    No it's not. The Others stole Walt, infiltrated theirs and the tailies camps, took loads of the tailies, kidnapped Claire and Charlie and left Charlie hanging from a tree, and threatned to take even more serious action if the survivors crossed a certain point.
    Faith wrote:
    The "others" (some people did) haven't stolen Walt and nobody in the camp knew or knows that. Claire was taken by a person is the only known fact.
    Faith wrote:
    Nope, that's pretty much a definate.
    Only vaguely plusabale when thinking logically.

Faith wrote:
    That's because the name of the ship was clearly shown on the hull as "Black Rock" so it became self- explanitory immediately. Also, they were pretty shocked at the fact that a big ass boat was sitting squat bang about 3 miles inland

Sorry they didn't say very much about the ship is the way I remember it put I have only watched it the once

Faith wrote:
    I'm not entirely clear on what you're talking about here.

Once Hugo was put in charge of the food in the hatch room he then goes off to get more dynamite and goes to blow up the chamber where the food is. SO he put himself at theis mad risk becasue he doesn't want to do it. Not normal for a ffat man to destroy a food source and he is also putting people at risk to do it
    Faith wrote:
    The cohesion of the events isn't strained if you think about it properly and in detail. Also, a lot happens on Lost, you can't expect them to deal with every emotion that every character feels in detail.
    SO you put somebody saying there are 23 people to be revelaed as changed due to death or "incident" is normal and not a tool to add mystery and suspense in a unrealistic way?
    The french woman talking about a rock to be revealed to be a boat is not a tool to add mystery and suspense in a unrealistic way?
    The talk of "others" rather than a noraml term like pirates or gangsters not a tool to add mystery and suspense in a unrealistic way?
    A big danger about the "smokers" never gets mentioned after a major story arc revolving about the panic is not a tool to add mystery and suspense in a unrealistic way?
    The fact after spending time with other survivors the don't get told what happened to them not a tool to add mystery and suspense in a unrealistic way?

You can't explain the people acting so unlike humans. One or two of these things would be fine but there is too many is what I am saying. I noticed you avoided some of the points I made already so I guess you don't have the answers.

Okay, you've completely stopped making sense. I take it you've only watched the episodes that have been shown on RTE because some of your arguments are completely incorrect, but to correct you would spoil a lot for you.

To correct some other stuff:

Claire was taken by an Other, as was Charlie. That's fact.

Walt was kidnapped and Michael, Sawyer and Jin know this. Of course it was the Others who took him, who else would have?

They didn't say much about the ship because they didn't need too. Also, they had other stuff on their minds.

You're saying that just because Hurley is fat, he's going to eat all the food? No fat person could ever resist food? He wants to blow it up because he's afraid that everybody will start to hate him if he gives it out selectively. It will look like favouritism on his part and people won't understand why he won't give them what they want. Also, he wasn't putting people at risk. He was the only one in the hatch as far as he know and the walls in that room are thick.

The Others are so called because they are the other group of people on the Island. They're not pirates or gangsters so there's no point in calling them that.

"The big danger about the smokers" never gets mentioned again because there was no danger. It turned out that the french woman had made it up. If you're going to try and argue about things, make sure that you understand what you're arguing first.

Of course the writers add in things for suspense and mystery. That's done in every show in the world. Therefore, that's not a valid criticism of Lost exclusively. You're criticising every show on tv.

I answered all the points in your previous post. I'm not going to go back through the thread and address every little criticism you have, especially as it's apparent you haven't paid close attention to the show and half your criticisms are simply about things you missed, like the ship being called the Black Rock.

As for the rest of you complaints, if you continue to watch the show, they will all be explained to you. Be patient, grasshopper...

Faith wrote:

Walt was kidnapped and Michael, Sawyer and Jin know this. Of course it was the Others who took him, who else would have?

The people on the shore do not know Walt is gone or taken for a long time. The people who took Walt maybe the others but nobody know who they are for a long time. People took Walt that is what is known. Before they get on the raft they don't know the others will take Walt.
    Faith wrote:
    They didn't say much about the ship because they didn't need too. Also, they had other stuff on their minds.

You think you are going to a rock and it turns out to be a boat and you say nothing! That is unnatural, a second ago you said this was not a issue as the reacted noramlly.
    Faith wrote:
    You're saying that just because Hurley is fat, he's going to eat all the food? No fat person could ever resist food? He wants to blow it up because he's afraid that everybody will start to hate him if he gives it out selectively. It will look like favouritism on his part and people won't understand why he won't give them what they want. Also, he wasn't putting people at risk. He was the only one in the hatch as far as he know and the walls in that room are thick.
    I get the logic of why he wouldn't want to do the food job. His solution is the problem, he picks up some dangeous dynamite (blows up an expert handlier) and brings in into a confined same space with others people. He may have worked out how it might not damge the really important computer and made sure the others got out but one person walks up to him as he was setting it up. Hugo is either really really stupid and also acting completely insane or he is acting unrealisticly.
    Faith wrote:
    The Others are so called because they are the other group of people on the Island. They're not pirates or gangsters so there's no point in calling them that.
    Let see there are 3 other groups of people on the island and the most normal. Others is the best name for them by everybody? I accept it for what it is don't try and justify it.
    Faith wrote:
    "The big danger about the smokers" never gets mentioned again because there was no danger. It turned out that the french woman had made it up. If you're going to try and argue about things, make sure that you understand what you're arguing first.
    Maybe that is told later but people panicing one minute and then a day or two passes and nobody mentions is unrealistic, unnatural etc... The day after the night it would be mentioned and it wasn't. None of the group feel betrayed by Jack either after that night.
    Faith wrote:
    Of course the writers add in things for suspense and mystery. That's done in every show in the world. Therefore, that's not a valid criticism of Lost exclusively. You're criticising every show on tv.
    No as I have pointed out there are too many and the the story relies too heavily on them. Smallville doesn't have Superman act out of normal behaviour but reacting to unusual situations.
    Faith wrote:
    I answered all the points in your previous post. I'm not going to go back through the thread and address every little criticism you have, especially as it's apparent you haven't paid close attention to the show and half your criticisms are simply about things you missed, like the ship being called the Black Rock.
    You didn't answer why they never mentioned the smokers in your first response! You failed to answer questions this time too.
    I knew the ship was called Black Rock I thought it stupid and lazy mystery writing along with unnatural reactions.

Your arguments are incoherent and don't make much sense. You seem to misunderstand certain elements of the show. I've tried to answer your questions to the best of my ability but you don't seem to want to hear those answers, and you insist on trying to twist them. You're obviously determined to criticise it. All I'll say now is some of your questions will be answered in later episodes.

Also, it's a television show. It's not supposed to be real, or to be interpretted as being real. You're reading too much into insignificant things. Let it go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement