Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most over-rated show ever

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

I get the logic of why he wouldn't want to do the food job. His solution is the problem, he picks up some dangeous dynamite (blows up an expert handlier) and brings in into a confined same space with others people. He may have worked out how it might not damge the really important computer and made sure the others got out but one person walks up to him as he was setting it up. Hugo is either really really stupid and also acting completely insane or he is acting unrealisticly.

That whole episode contained the backstory necessary to make us understand why he would be driven to this. It would be unrealistic for anyone else, but the producer's have spent the entire episode exploring Hurley's character and leading us to understand why he would do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Faith wrote:
    Your arguments are incoherent and don't make much sense. You seem to misunderstand certain elements of the show.
    What do you have trouble understanding ? What do you think I misunderstood?

I think your knowledge of later episodes is clouding your view of peoples' reactions.
    Tail section people finally tell Micheal of what happened last night. Oh wait they don't they just tell him the came and they took people. Micheal doesn't ask anything like what weapons did they use? How many of them were there? Normal logical things anybody would ask.
    marie_85 wrote:
    That whole episode contained the backstory necessary to make us understand why he would be driven to this. It would be unrealistic for anyone else, but the producer's have spent the entire episode exploring Hurley's character and leading us to understand why he would do this.
    Actually the whole back story on Hugo is not explained in that episode. HUgo wins the lottery and tells nobody and is already afraid of what will happen before he tells people. So hugo has this fear before he ever experiences it. When his best friend finds out Hugo won he looks at Hugo all strange. Ok they may have spent the whole day together so he might be a bit surprised that he wasn't told. But reality if you just found out your best friend won the lottery you would be excited very excited not look at them all blankly . Another unnatural response. We never actually find out about people looking for things off Hugo we are just been lead to believe it for the moment.

For a series where you should be trying to catch all the little details you are expected to remove normal human reactions from your way of thinking. In movies certain things need to be done due to lack of time but in TV series you have more time. This is not a great writing as the mystery is more important than natural reactions. Maybe they will reveal everybody is an alien and that is why they are acting so odd:eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

Get over it MorningStar. So the characters don't react exactly as you think they should. Big deal. In your mind the whole worlds population should react the same way to every situation. In reality, everyone reacts differently to different things and nobody can say for sure how anyone else would react to something.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jumping in here... I agree with a lot of what MorningStar has been saying. I've found the character's reactions to certain situations highly annoying and I know myself and MorningStar are not nearly the only ones.

Unless the characters are suffering some sort of mind manipulation, there's no real excuse letting them off saying "we don't know everything about the characters yet". I mean we're told that Jack is a man of science, supported by his backstory. A scientific mind tends towards questioning and understanding of circumstances yet he rarely seems bothered to try and pursue the mysteries of the island - what is the magnetic machinery they uncovered near the beginning of the season, what possible reason could there be for the numbers, etc. Why not try and have a discussion about who the Others are? Why not form a plan of action to try and uncover the mysteries? They all seem to constantly react rather than act.

And of course it's most certainly not the first show to have mysteries and a long storyline, as pointed out. And nor is it the first to use different mediums (Babylon 5 being an example, which had novels and comics filling in details during the course of the show, as well as extra detail online in NGs). It's a good show but definetely over-rated and not, IMHO, this peice of genius many acclaim it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

ixoy wrote:
    It's a good show but definetely over-rated and not, IMHO, this peice of genius many acclaim it to be.

I agree. It's definitely not the most overrated show ever. The most overrated show is Family Guy in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I agree with Morning Star and ixoy - the way the characters react to situations is very strange, cos I reckon if most people were stuck on a desert island every time a new bit of info was found they'd be asking questions left right and center to see what they can learn from it as it might help them get home. Obviously the show can't give out those answers too quickly, though for me its currently giving them out too slowly, but if we saw the characters ask these questions and get frustrated when they don't get answers it'd be much easier to empathise with them.

The show is getting too smug for its own good and that'll be its downfall if it keeps trying to be overly smart and drag it out so much they'll lose viewers like myself who are more interested in finding out what is going on on the island than what how many burgers Hurley used eat. Don't get me wrong, the back stories are a great ploy for providing context that helps us understand why each character acts like they do (except for the lack of questioning), but they should be used as a means of fleshing out the story on the island, not the centrepiece of each episode. As it is more time in each episode is spend on these flashbacks than on actual plot progression and its head wrecking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Boo-yah wrote:
    I agree. It's definitely not the most overrated show ever. The most overrated show is Family Guy in my opinion.

Oh no you didn't!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ah now one think saying LOST is over rated but Family Guy...

Go to the Prime Time Cartoon forum an apologise now :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭Boo-yah

Elmo wrote:
    Ah now one think saying LOST is over rated but Family Guy...

Go to the Prime Time Cartoon forum an apologise now :rolleyes:

It's not like I hate the show or anything. I just can't figure out what's so great about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

You can't say that the characters don't react realistically. They're in a crisis situation. Unless you've survived a situation like that, you don't know how you'd react. Personally, I think they are believable. In a situation like that, where you're trying to survive, there are things you accept at face value because you can't spend the whole time questioning everything.

And its not like they don't question things. We saw them wondering what on earth a polar bear was doing on the island, what the 'monster' was, if there was anyone else on the island, and the question of how they all survived has definitely been raised. Just because they don't stand around discussing every little detail doesn't mean they're not being realistic. The show's makers can only show so much as well, and if they have to leave out the questioning in favour of more important scenes, well so be it.

Edit: And as for the Hurley situation. We saw his reaction when he won the lotto in that episode, and how worried he was that everything would change. In 'Numbers' in season one, we had already seen that winning the money made his life hell, worse than he had imagined it would be. His worst fears were more than realised. He didn't want to risk that happening again, and the fact that the numbers were printed on the side of the hatch means he associates everything with the hatch as bad luck. I had no problem believing he was driven to do what he did, even though his reaction wouldn't be that of a 'normal' person. Hurleys reaction was meant to be abnormal here, the backstory explained why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 evil_billy

I think some of the points about unrealistic reactions made here are quite valid, but we need to remember that the characters would never have the same inquisitiveness that we have. They wouldn't be constantly chatting about what each other thinks is going on and coming up with conspiracy theories because for them it is real and any mention of the unusual occurrences wouldn't be dwelled on for long, because it is so weird.

For most of the gang their motivation is to stay alive and get off the island, not discover its secrets. As a group I’m sure there are quiet discussions that "we" might not get to see, but this doesn't mean that it is not talked about, just that we don't need to hear it. We listen to enough theories amongst ourselves without needing to hear from the characters; plus their opinions might spoil or mis-lead the fans who have engaged so readily with the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Throwing my name in with the "agree with MorningStar/ixoy" pile here.
    evil_billy wrote:
    For most of the gang their motivation is to stay alive and get off the island, not discover its secrets. As a group I’m sure there are quiet discussions that "we" might not get to see, but this doesn't mean that it is not talked about, just that we don't need to hear it. We listen to enough theories amongst ourselves without needing to hear from the characters; plus their opinions might spoil or mis-lead the fans who have engaged so readily with the story.

That's not good enough for a show. What's important is the audience is interested in the mysteries of the island. You could have a show where the characters are fat, lazy and sit around and watch television all day. It would be realistic but it would still be a **** show. (Actually I just described the Royle family there).

What's the point of having a television show if the audience has to write the story completely by themselves? There is a compromise situation. Have a tv show that gives the viewer pieces, and allows the viewer to string the pieces together. This is how shows like "Twin peaks" and David lynch films rose to popularity. But giving the viewer nothing is just crap. You might as well just display snow with a message saying "It's share stories with your loved ones hour", it would cost less to produce.

Season 1 was quite decent for a while, there was mystery but each episode also moved the mystery along. Let people talk it over for the week, but then give them something new to talk about. However the last few episodes really let the audience down.
    marie85 wrote:
    And its not like they don't question things. We saw them wondering what on earth a polar bear was doing on the island, what the 'monster' was, if there was anyone else on the island, and the question of how they all survived has definitely been raised. Just because they don't stand around discussing every little detail doesn't mean they're not being realistic. The show's makers can only show so much as well, and if they have to leave out the questioning in favour of more important scenes, well so be it.

Ah yes, the 'monster', the one that turned out to be a load of gears and levers. If that wasn't a **** resolution...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Stark wrote:
    This is how shows like "Twin peaks" and David lynch films rose to popularity.

You're using Twin Peaks as an example of how to move a story along?! :eek:

In Twin Peaks you could have the people act any way you like as they were all meant to be strange odd etc. THe story was the odd people and odd reaction and the very surreal nature. Lost is meant to show the drama of people reacting to a strange situation. They aren't reacting to a strange situation they are acting strangely to make the story continue.

They now are doing the old Flash Gordon endings where you see one thing happen and then a different thing is shown to happen when it is continued. The girl who was shot was shouting when shot at the end of one episode and in the next she is not shouting.

The tail end people are scared of the jungle yet they were only ever attacked at night while asleep. They never booby traped their place which would make the most sense. They also decide to take shelter in a place that has only one entrance?

The whole thing with the guy not talking for 40 days is really normal too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Chuck Norris

There are two things I hate about Lost.
    1- That annoying girl from the Fast and furious. Why is she still alive? She is loud, arrogant,unattractive and very manly!
    2-The concept of the entire show. How is it that a plane splits in half and ends up so far apart. And how is it that that guy and his wife were split up?Surely they would be sitting beside each other on the plane.Hoe people watch it religiously is far beyond me!

P.S. Walkker:Texas Ranger-Best Show EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,036 ✭✭✭✭Stark

2-The concept of the entire show. How is it that a plane splits in half and ends up so far apart. And how is it that that guy and his wife were split up?Surely they would be sitting beside each other on the plane.Hoe people watch it religiously is far beyond me!

I think one of them went to use the bathroom just before the plane split in two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

Lost is meant to show the drama of people reacting to a strange situation. They aren't reacting to a strange situation they are acting strangely to make the story continue.

Had the show been written as originally envisioned, it probably would have been pure-Castway style 'people reacting to deserted island life'. It also probably would not have been the hit it became. The JJ Abrams/Damon Lindelof influence made it 'people reacting to a strange situation' - considering how little time passes between each episode, and considering the weirdness of the events encountered, I don't agree these characters are unrealistically behaving just to further the story, or stretch it out. At worst, the biggest problem with the characters in Lost is their inability to discuss the strange events encountered with one another - to the point where at least ONE of them might be able to tie the loose ends together.
    They now are doing the old Flash Gordon endings where you see one thing happen and then a different thing is shown to happen when it is continued. The girl who was shot was shouting when shot at the end of one episode and in the next she is not shouting.

I'm pretty sure the 2x06/2x07 endings hold up. In some respects, any minor variation could be put down to the fact that the second one was shown from Ana Lucia's/the tail section group's perspective. Narratively, the idea of revisiting scenes again has not been used on television before. They did this nicely at the start of the season - we could just about hear someone yell "Jack!" in the season premiere before we saw it was Kate in the air vent shouting in the following episode. They also do a clever edit of Bernard talking to Boone in a recap special coming up.
    The tail end people are scared of the jungle yet they were only ever attacked at night while asleep.

Ana Lucia was attacked by Goodwin in daylight. Likewise, members of their group were later taken en route to the other side of the island (the air-hostess). Jin and Eko also saw the Others pass through the jungle during the day, but felt sufficient need to hide from them.
    They never booby traped their place which would make the most sense. They also decide to take shelter in a place that has only one entrance?

It did have a bolt on the door, and they seemed to have a particular identifier for getting in and out.
    The whole thing with the guy not talking for 40 days is really normal too.

That will be explained in time, as his character is developed. Some of the events that seem unusual just have to be accepted until later evidence is presented why. It's the kind of show you need patience with.

One of the nicer elements of Lost is foreshadowing what ultimately comes to pass. Eko and Jin passed the skeleton of Goodwin (who we assumed to be one of the lost tailies) long before we saw how he died. The 40 days of silence was remarked by Ana Lucia as well, before we saw why in "The Other 48 Days".

I can't believe it afgter all the defence of bad script and story continuity it has actually changed people acted normal. THey asked questions they were shocked , angry, happy like humans. Is this the way of the future? It is actually understandable that we will find out more about the characters. I am truelyshocked. It still doesn't make up for the bad writing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

To the Lost detractors

B0006NH9S2.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Use it ;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Ya know PullMyFinger, a forum does allow us to debate issues. We don't all have to bow and worship every moment of the show - criticism is healthy, although certain people on forums (this one definetely) seem to think that, if you criticise an aspect of a show, you clearly hate it. Wrong.

My problem with the show is that they don't ever damn well discuss things or question them. Saying that they're constantly trying to survive and can't get around to it is laughable given most of the scenes show them sitting on their arses on the beach or playing on Hurley's golf course, etc. Even on the trust issue - that's really more between Jack and Locke. Sure some people keep to themselves, but plenty of others have shown no real need to be secretive and it doesn't make sense for them not to ponder/question the goings on. After all the weirdness is surely linked to how they may get off Social Experiment Island.

I'm also not yet convinced the writers have answers for everything (well the frequency of the numbers and the way all the stories interlink in particular). They generally answer questions with questions and nothing really concrete. Sure they're tantalising - particularly liked what we saw in the last US episode - but they're teases if they're nothing solid. Have the writers actually got a plan (beyond the end) that's detailed or is it merely sketched? Hmm...

If anyone else gets frustrated by the nay-saying of the nay-sayers, we could all head to TWoP and meet people who are really bitter and bringing up many of the same points as we have here. Least there I hope we could raise issues without being told "change the channel" which isn't what I want either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

i really love this show and i am hooked. yes there are faults in it, but no tv show is perfect. like one main fault for me is that it looks like they have given up on trying to escape etc and they have just accepted that they will be on the island for ever. but they concentrate on the bigger picture the whole plot of the show and the mysteries etc which are more important than little faults here and there. im sure the producers and writers know that there are these faults that all of you have mentioned but to make the show perfect without faults then each episode would have to be like a few hours long, and then it would be more boring and then some of ye would start complaining about that!!!! so just stop bitching and enjoy the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

In many ways this is an amazing shop and i love it but, like all shows there are things that will get on your nerves. We cant expect the show to do everything we want it to do. All in all, its a great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mark wrote:
    I await the day when they say "Previously on Lost", and then show the entire last episode.
    good one lol
    anyway i thought the 1st series was class but the 2nd series was preety average

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

This forum is about the most over-rated show ever and in "my opinion" Lost IS the most over-rated. I really dont see all the hype! The people I live with in Dublin are absolutely CRAZY about that show! Im not saying i think its a bad show but I really dont see how people can think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

just to add I also think The OC is over-rated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

In what way would Jack have the authority or the power to keep Desmond there against his will? Ok, he could lock him up etc but as you said, he's a level headed, calm individual as we found out with the Henry Gale incident.
    I'm confused: isn't Jack the same guy who tied Sawyer up in the jungle and got Sayid to torture him with bamboo leaves, because he suspected him of stealing medicine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

I'm confused: isn't Jack the same guy who tied Sawyer up in the jungle and got Sayid to torture him with bamboo leaves, because he suspected him of stealing medicine?

Yeah, Jack's completely different take to the torture of Sawyer and then to Henry baffles me. He also appears to blow like the wind when it comes to deciding what to do with Henry.

On the other topic, the show is definitely flawed. The little clues become frustrating when proper answers don't follow them up. Time will tell if the producers can get the balance right (as they largely did in season one). The show is still more than above the average US series, but it does need to be particularly careful in its pacing and potential to aggravate viewers with hints that, more often than not, lead to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

You're entitled to critisise the show any way you want. But maybe you should watch it first before you start typing. Otherwise you just look stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

kc66 wrote:

How this show is so popular is beyond me. It is just soooo drawn out. Each episode has 25 mins material in it. I think its just a money spinner at this stage.

Exactly! The writers are writing the plot as it airs. Because of it's success, there's literally an endless script to choose from; introducing characters, then cycling through everyone's flashbacks. It's hilarious to see how fanatical some people can be, especially on some of the Lost sites; they're obsessed with looking for clues on which they're more than likely over analysing. These people seriously need to find a hobby or buy a good book.

I admit, it's not a bad show. If the ratings stay high, the less the writers will give away; they intend to milk this story for six to eight seasons. It comes down to a fancy soap with the odd sprinkle of mystery and sci-fi just to keep their audience hooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

nitrogen wrote:
    These people seriously need to find a hobby or buy a good book.

...or a good lay. I'm getting sick of this show, the only thing keeping me going is mikes desperation while he looks for his son
    walt

Someone here said Jack was supposed to be killed off in season 1. Why; dear God why didn't that happen!

I don't think I've ever hated a character in film or TV as much as Jack. Just think about being stranded on an island with strangers. Then, you have some langer in the group in which everything has to go by him. I'll stop now, he just does my head in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

nitrogen wrote:
    Someone here said Jack was supposed to be killed off in season 1. Why; dear God why didn't that happen!
    In the pilot actually and don't think many fans of the show can even stand him so nullifies your point there really!

i would say a lot of the hatred towards jack has to do with how poor his acting is. It's atrocious, he has one stupid face for every emotion. Easily the worst actor on the show followed closely by Vincent the dog. Wag your ****ing tale every now and again, ffs, your a dog!

i would say a lot of the hatred towards jack has to do with how poor his acting is. It's atrocious, he has one stupid face for every emotion. Easily the worst actor on the show followed closely by Vincent the dog. Wag your ****ing tale every now and again, ffs, your a dog!

True & lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

followed closely by Vincent the dog. Wag your ****ing tale every now and again, ffs, your a dog!

But with a face like this, does she really need to act...
    vincent36ev.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I dunno, I actually quite like Jack. He's not one of my favourite characters, but I think he has his moments. He's fun when they're playing golf. And when he goes head to head with Sawyer.

He definately can be irritating though.

And how is it that someone who was supposed to die in the pilot is now one of the lead characters?

Faith wrote:
    And how is it that someone who was supposed to die in the pilot is now one of the lead characters?
    the island has magically healing powers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Faith wrote:
    I dunno, I actually quite like Jack. He's not one of my favourite characters, but I think he has his moments. He's fun when they're playing golf. And when he goes head to head with Sawyer.

He definately can be irritating though.

The studio was against the idea of killing off a character that audiences were first introduced to.

NUTZZ wrote:
    But with a face like this, does she really need to act...
    vincent36ev.jpg

of course he does. Did you see him before when he got reunited with Mike after Mikes adventure as a pirate on that "raft". The dog runs up to him, barely wagging his tale, and sniffs his ****ing pocket! Com'on! Com'on!
    Thats ****e acting, you'd think he would be a bit excited, or at least put in some effort. I'd kill him off fairly soon.

Faith wrote:

Well as the writers said on one of the bonus DVD's (Lost: The Complete Series) they thought it would be a "cool" twist to kill him off early on but people who read the early script got pissed with that, so they kept him in it...

• Advertisement

of course he does. Did you see him before when he got reunited with Mike after Mikes adventure as a pirate on that "raft". The dog runs up to him, barely wagging his tale, and sniffs his ****ing pocket! Com'on! Com'on!
    Thats ****e acting, you'd think he would be a bit excited, or at least put in some effort. I'd kill him off fairly soon.

Yeah I did see that bit ;) , but in fairness, on the show. Vincent didnt really know Michael that long so maybe he felt he didn't deserve a 'tail wag'...

PS. Kill the dog? Unless for food, no :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

You're all wrong. Go back to the pilot and watch it again. Who is the first character Jack meets?

The dog.

He is KEY to understanding the plot. Dharma stands for Dogs Have Always Ruled Men Anyway. Vincent is Alvar Hanso's half-brother. He is a human trapped in a canine body. If you doubt me, watch late Season 1/early Season 2 when Mike and WWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTT were gone. Who did Vincent choose as his new owner?

Shannon.

Well, who wouldn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

major spoiler regarding Vincent
    he's really a female dog called Madison 'he's' been keeping it a secret from Walt for years, it'll all be revealed in 'his' flashback episode in season 5, where we'll find out 'he' has a surprising connection to Locke

Advertisement