Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 x 6800

Options
  • 13-03-2006 11:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

I have a 6800 from a Dell XPS and want to match it up with another on my Sli board. How similar does the card need to be? Can it be any other 6800, or does it have to be from the same manufactures, have the same designation (gs, gt, xt etc)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Is this a vanilla 6800 (not XT,GS,GT or Ultra) if so you just need another 6800 it need not be from the same manufacturer.

However depending on the price unless it is very cheap you would be better served with a more recent GPU from either the NV GF7 or ATI 1K range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

8T8 wrote:
    Is this a vanilla 6800 (not XT,GS,GT or Ultra) if so you just need another 6800 it need not be from the same manufacturer.

However depending on the price unless it is very cheap you would be better served with a more recent GPU from either the NV GF7 or ATI 1K range.

I think it's a vanilla. I appreciate your advice, but don't understand it :o Whats NV GF7 or ATI 1K?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Check your graphics card driver (the NVIDIA control panel) if it just says GeForce 6800 then its the vanilla kind.

NV GF7 is shorthand for NVIDIA GeForce 7 series graphics cards.

ATI 1K is shorthand for ATI X1xxx series graphics cards.

A high end part (even from the lower end of that spectrum) from either of those ranges would offer more performance than the dual vanilla 6800 cards that is if you cannot obtain one cheaply.

Advertisement