Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DS wifi help please?

• 14-03-2006 12:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, i already tried this on the Nintendo board but nobodies replied, hopefully i'll have better luck here.

i just got eircom broadband installed and got the Netopia 3347NWG router, after having trouble getting it to connect with my DS i found a thread on the Nintendo board the other day which helped me set it up.

But now i'm having a problem where after 10mins i get disconnected. After reading further in the thread i found before i saw others had the same problem but it didn't seem to have a conclusion.

So has anyone with this problem been able to fix it or have ye (and will I) had to get your DS online by other means.

I also found a thread here about an Argos product which can be used instead of the Nintendo USB connector, which is good cuz the only games shop here in Waterford (Gamestop) don't and won't stock the Nintendo one.

Anyway with this USB from Argos the people who have used it does it work fine? Is there no disconnection problems? I'm not much of a tech head so not really sure how these USB things work, but don't they work in conjuction with your modem/router?

I just wondering cuz if it does work like how i think it does will i still have the dissconnection problem cuz of my Netopia router, or does the USB device bypass this? Basically i'm wondering if anyone who has used the USB device also has the Netopia 3347NWG working with it, with no problems connecting or unwanted disconections?

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Franklin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I have no experience of Nintendo DS' & other hardware mentioned.
    However, the first question I must ask is: Are you using WEP or WPA?

What does the manual for the hardware state re: WEP/WPA support?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Mokong

Oh it uses WEP, all that is fine, it's like it does connect and it plays fine but at exactly 10mins after connecting it just disconnects by itself.

I know it's happened to others (prolly everyone who used Eircom), just don't know if they fixed it or had to buy new equipment.

A new (proper) router would prolly solve it but would be pricey, i was thinking of getting a USB adaptor but they are mainly meant to be used for people with broadband but no wireless router, so i was wondering if it is screwy with the router would it still be screwy with a USB adapter or would that like have a direct line from the PC to the broadband connection? If that makes sense?

There wasn't even a manual with the equipment just the instalation cd and cables.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Mokong wrote:
    Oh it uses WEP, all that is fine, it's like it does connect and it plays fine but at exactly 10mins after connecting it just disconnects by itself.

I know it's happened to others (prolly everyone who used Eircom), just don't know if they fixed it or had to buy new equipment.

A new (proper) router would prolly solve it but would be pricey, i was thinking of getting a USB adaptor but they are mainly meant to be used for people with broadband but no wireless router, so i was wondering if it is screwy with the router would it still be screwy with a USB adapter or would that like have a direct line from the PC to the broadband connection? If that makes sense?

There wasn't even a manual with the equipment just the instalation cd and cables.

Cheers

Does your computer connect to the router without any problems, wireless or wired it doesn't matter once the dhcp server is on?

How long are your DHCP lease's? This would most likely be where you could be having probs.

To Check use your computer, double click on your network connection icon> support tab> details and there you go or start>run>cmd>ipconfig /all in the output from this it will tell you how long the lease is for.

Seems that you have everything connecting fine and then something causes it to disconnect... The solution is NOT to buy another adaptor or router as you'll just prob have the same problem. Nothing will allow you to bypass the router and connect direct to BB as its the modem in the router that gives you your connection in the first place.

Use the ipconfig /all and post up what you get also try to capture the dhcp page on the router and post that up too (remember to blank out ur ip).

Is there any help for your problem on the nintendo site, how does it connect to net, via 802.11b or g?

Does your computer connect to the router without any problems, wireless or wired it doesn't matter once the dhcp server is on?
    Yes the comp connects fine (wired)
    How long are your DHCP lease's? This would most likely be where you could be having probs.

its set at 1 hour (0days,1hour,0minutes,0seconds)
    I didn't think it could be this since its 10mins that it happens at
    Use the ipconfig /all and post up what you get also try to capture the dhcp page on the router and post that up too (remember to blank out ur ip).
    I don't want to post the whole ipconfig/all thing but i saw these and wondered if they might have anything to do with it?
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Also here's what that said about the DHCP Lease
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 March 2006 17:27:19
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 March 2006 18:27:19
    Is there any help for your problem on the nintendo site, how does it connect to net, via 803.11b or g?

Well when it does dissconnect i get an error message which i should be able to check on nintendowifi.com, however the Europe part of the site don't have that error code on it, i checked it on the USA part of the site and it said it might be due to interferance from other devices, like microwaves, moblies...but if it was that it wouldn't cut out at exactly 10mins everytime.

The DS works on 802.11b, what i can find on my router is 802.11 it doesn't say b or g, i had thought since the DS does connect in the first place it must be b or wouldn't connect otherwise?

Mokong wrote:
    Yes the comp connects fine (wired)

its set at 1 hour (0days,1hour,0minutes,0seconds)
    I didn't think it could be this since its 10mins that it happens at

I don't want to post the whole ipconfig/all thing but i saw these and wondered if they might have anything to do with it?

Also here's what that said about the DHCP Lease
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 March 2006 17:27:19
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 14 March 2006 18:27:19

Well when it does dissconnect i get an error message which i should be able to check on nintendowifi.com, however the Europe part of the site don't have that error code on it, i checked it on the USA part of the site and it said it might be due to interferance from other devices, like microwaves, moblies...but if it was that it wouldn't cut out at exactly 10mins everytime.

The DS works on 802.11b, what i can find on my router is 802.11 it doesn't say b or g, i had thought since the DS does connect in the first place it must be b or wouldn't connect otherwise?

Any chance you might actually tell us what the error code is so that we can look it up or is that one of FORT KNOXs big secrets too. The ipconfig /all gives NOTHING that can be used to indentify your public IP as it only shows the PRIVATE IP address that is being used internally so not posting all the data doesn't really serve any purpose. Anyhow, the Netopia 3347NWG is a b/g router and as with all 802.11b/g equipment is backwards compatible with b mode speeds.

Just going to have a google and get back to ya...

BTW here is the ipconfig details from my own setup, see nothing that can identify your public IP

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Laptop
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : Home

Ethernet adapter WiFiNet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Home
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 0A-10-5B-59-3C-5A
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.4
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 14 March 2006 21:31:11
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 21 March 2006 21:31:11

• Advertisement

Any chance you might actually tell us what the error code is so that we can look it up or is that one of FORT KNOXs big secrets too.

The error code is 94030

and sorry here's the ipconfig thing if you can see anything from that

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : PC1
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
    rnet NIC
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-02-A5-A7-83-22
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 15 March 2006 17:49:57
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 15 March 2006 18:49:57

I just got an emial from Eircom, they gave me three reasons, i dissmiss the first 2 they gave cuz if it was one of them it would disconnect at random times, not exactly at 10mins everytime, below is their 3rd possible cause
    The third is that the ports that the Nintendo use to play games isn't
    setup on the Netopia. If you visit the address http://192.168.1.254 and
    click on "Gaming or Customer services" On the left. You can "Define a
    customer service" (You'll need to know what ports the Nintendo uses
    first before doing this) After you click on "Define a customer service"
    follow the instructions and enter the port/ports in the Box and name
    the
    service something like Nintendo. After you save it. The service has to
    be selected from the "Service" menu list. Select it and click "Enable".
    This will then open up all the ports on the netopia that the Nintendo's
    games use.

I just need to find out the ports Nintendo use, which aren't on their site (at least i can't find them) so i gotta send them an email now....

From my reading on this last night, the DS uses a tunnel through the net to connect to game server and doesn't have a full ip stack. what port it uses... well i dunno. I had i swear posted up a load of links but they don't appear here for some reason. Was having quite a few database errors from boards.ie last night so guess that borked them.

Try here for more info:

http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board?board.id=tech_questions_wifi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Clubby

Sorry to bump such an old thread but I'm just wondering if anyone found the sollution to this or the ports which Nintendo uses? I'm having this exact same problem myself. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Clubby wrote:
    Sorry to bump such an old thread but I'm just wondering if anyone found the sollution to this or the ports which Nintendo uses? I'm having this exact same problem myself. :(

hey do you have a netopia 3347nwg router? i am thinking about buying a ds lite this week with the browser but i have a 3347nwg and have heard of all the stories of people getting disconnected after 10mins, however eircom have released a new firmware upgrade for the router called 7.5 (most people should have 7.4) and i was wondering if somebody could install this and tell me if it has fixed the ds problem. the instructions of how to do this are here:
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/&/?St=32&E=0000000000047025531&K=6831&SXI=14&case=7588&source=search&query=netopia%20router%20nintendo%20ds&branch=4

in that link it says there is no new firmware available but it's wrong if u follow the instructions you will find 7.5:
    type in 192.168.1.254 into your address bar

go into expert mode and then click update router on left panel.then you will find it. thanks to anyone who can help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

can anyone please help me out with this?? i will keep posting replies like this so it stays on front page of boards so people will see it. thankyou so much to anyone who can help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

rc28 wrote:
    can anyone please help me out with this?? i will keep posting replies like this so it stays on front page of boards so people will see it. thankyou so much to anyone who can help
    Excessive bumping makes Robin angry and baby Jesus cry. So don't do it please.

Advertisement